PDA

View Full Version : dovetail jig akeda or d1600

Gary Franks
07-21-2006, 3:37 PM
Hello,
I have read, and reread every bit of information I can find about these two jigs on the internet. I have read all the posts here on Sawmill and I have downloaded the manuals of each from the manufacturer's websites and read them all the way through.

My problem is I still can not decide which one to get. I like the ease of use of the Akeda but have reservations about it holding up over years of use, specifically the belt used to tighten the boards. The fingers holding up I am ok with based on my research. I like the finger template the d1600 has as an option and am thinking I may want to do very small finger joints, something the Akeda does not offer. I like the Akeda dust collection as well.

I'd like to hear some more comments from actual users of both to help sway my decision on this as I am going to buy one or the other by next weekend hopefully. Any and all advice and comments is greatly appreciated. Thanks very much!

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-21-2006, 3:43 PM
I don't have the little PC jig I have the 24 inch one. It's solid as a tank and repeats flawlessly.

Allen Bookout
07-21-2006, 7:53 PM
I have the Akeda and really like it. Of course I cannot say whether or not the belt will hold up for years but the rest of it is certainly substantial enought to hold up for years. The dust collection works even better than I had expected.

No experience with the D1600 to campare it with.

Allen

CPeter James
07-21-2006, 10:27 PM
Another Akeda fan here. i love the easy set up and the repeatability. Really quick and easy to learn to use. i made abot 25 drawers this past winter for a project for my wife. Most were of differennt heights and they were realy easy to do. i also did son cabinets with dovetailed ends, just for fun.

CPeter

Jim Hill
07-21-2006, 11:43 PM
I have both the D4 and the Akeda. They each have their strengths. To be honest, I like the Akeda the best. I wish it were 24 inches like the D4, but since most of the work I do is smaller, it works out just fine. The dust collection is MUCH better with the Akeda, than the D4 with dust collection attachment.

Jim

Cecil Arnold
07-22-2006, 1:27 AM
I've got the D4 and like it, however I think the Akeda might be easire to use. I have to get out the book every time I use my D4, and make a few test cuts as well. Once it is set up it is great.

Jerry Bittner
07-22-2006, 4:16 PM
Bought one after considerable reseearch and never have regretted it. Easy to use right outside the box which was important for me a first time dovetail maker.

If customer support is important, you can't go wrong with Akeda. My unit had a defect and upon emaiing them and explaining the problem, got a response from the President himself who without further questions, immediately shipped another unit out and simply said to reurn the other one as soon as possible.