PDA

View Full Version : Burial Urn

Jim King
07-21-2006, 3:34 PM
This urn is 12 inches long and made of Tigre Caspi. Worst part was the sanding.

Vaughn McMillan
07-21-2006, 3:43 PM
Very nice job, Jim. I like the carved scrolls on top.

The sanding may have been difficult, but I'd think the worst part would be getting into the urn. ;)

- Vaughn

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-21-2006, 3:45 PM
Lovely way to remind me of my future.
I hate funerals always leave me feeling my own mortality.

It's nice work looks really dignified.

Why was sanding the issue?

Jim King
07-21-2006, 4:19 PM
The sanding was a problem as the top scroll type peice was cut out with a band saw and hand carved. Leaving a lot of sanding of a very hard wood. The photo here is another of Queenwood and was a lot easier. Both are waiting for the polyurethane to cure well for final polish.

John Miliunas
07-21-2006, 5:23 PM
Both are very striking, Jim although, I do have one question: How on earth do you do those on a lathe??? :confused: :eek: :D Nice work! :) :cool:

Fred Voorhees
07-21-2006, 5:40 PM
Nice work with the scroll! Isn't that spalted? Sure looks like it.

Jim King
07-21-2006, 7:26 PM
No , the wood is not spalted. That is the natural grain. I will attach a photo of a block of the wood.

Joe Scarfo
07-21-2006, 9:45 PM
I built the urn for my father in law a few years back...

Initially everyone wanted a dark stained cherry or mohagany style look.

I convined them to go with a simple cube design and a white wood. A cube is a six sided box and he had six grand kids.

Each child could write a good by message on their panel.

The ceremony was very moving.

John Kendall
07-21-2006, 10:32 PM
I've been looking far and wide for the specs needed to build such an urn. Are there any special requirements or regulations on the urns? Your urn is super nice. It gives me another idea that I'd like to try. Thanks!

Charlie Plesums
07-21-2006, 10:41 PM
I've been looking far and wide for the specs needed to build such an urn. ...
Over the years I have collected two facts that I haven't had to use yet.

Allow about 1 cubic inch for each pound of live weight
If it will immediately or eventually be moved to a columbarium, be sure to check the dimensions of the crypts available... there is not a standard size or shape.

John Kendall
07-21-2006, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the information! Google wasn't telling me much online.

Jim King
07-22-2006, 12:39 PM
Not to sound to gruesome but I would make the urn bigger than 1 cu inch per pound. Probably things are better done in the States and a hotter fire than here but there can be peices of bone that dont completly burn and the size the 1 cubic inch rule will not do it. I have not been involved with many but cremation has become stylish here and that is the reason for my comment on size. Once you have the urn full and still have a bit of the old uncle that dont fit what do you do ?

John Kendall
07-22-2006, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the size specs. I appreciate any information on the subject gruesome or not. I didn't think it was gruesome. I've worked in the medical field long enough to not get grossed out much.;)