PDA

View Full Version : Diamond sharpeners

Rich Stewart
07-21-2006, 1:45 PM
I would like to get a set of diamond sharpeners (hones?) for sharpening my forstner bits. Anybody got a recommendation? PSI has a set of four that includes a curved one for, I assume, roughing chisels. 30 bucks. I have seen others with an off-set handle that look like they might be easier to use.

Thanks for your help.

Rich

Rich Stewart
07-23-2006, 2:13 AM
I guess not. Thanks anyway fellas.

Claude Arragon
07-23-2006, 6:26 AM
I use a diamond sharpener exclusively for oval skew chisels. I do not have any particular favour for one brand or another, it just have to be of a decent size, (not the pocketable ones) so that you can lay the chisel comfortably on the entire width while you move it back and forth.

Mark Cothren
07-23-2006, 8:40 AM
Sorry Rich, but I don't have any myself. I was watching this thread in hopes of finding a good source.

Hey - SOMEBODY post up here! :D

Chris Barton
07-23-2006, 8:45 AM
Hi Rich,

I use DMT diamond "stones" (diamond coated steel) for all sorts of tasks including touching up bits. They make a narrow profile that folds into its own storage handle that would work well for your needs. I have 1 of the large plates, 2 of the credit card size and a couple of cones. They work well.

Terry Beadle
07-23-2006, 8:49 AM
DMT dimond stones are what I use. I have a couple of those small pocket paddle types from Highland Hardware that are good for a quick touch up and the DMT are very good. A diamond is a diamond. The bonding and shape are an application preference and I don't think the bonding of the diamond pieces is significant in a brand decision I think they all use the industrial bonding techniques that have been established since the 30's.

Forstner bits don't seem to need a lot of attention in my shop so factor that in.

The type of diamond is important as you probably know ( mono vs di ).

Bernie Weishapl
07-23-2006, 10:30 AM
I have the large one like Lacer uses for skews and gouges. I also have a couple of credit card size and a couple of fold aways. They are great for putting a final edge on about anything.

Reed Gray
07-23-2006, 10:49 AM
I have the smaller DMT set, and the larger plates, and I use them to touch up a lot of things in the shop. For your forstner bits, you can do some touch up work, but if they need to be sharpened, then have it done professionally.
robo hippy

Frank Fusco
07-23-2006, 11:49 AM
I have used the Ez Lap for many years. There is one right at hand at all times on my workbench. Nothing against the other brands, just stuck with what has worked for me.

Rich Stewart
07-25-2006, 10:10 AM
Thank you all for the info.

Alan Turner
07-25-2006, 1:19 PM
For forstner bits, I use an auger file. But I also use diamond "stones" as well. I have found that the large Norton, 220 grit, is excellent as a rough stone for flattening chisel backs, etc.