PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find an arbor nut, RIGHT NOW

Bryan Ferguson
07-21-2006, 9:53 AM
Dropped the arbor nut for my TS last night, spent three hours searching. Even sifted throught the sawdust in my DC in case it got pulled in. :(

No luck yet finding it. Can I find one at the BORGs or will I have to wait for GRIZZ?

tod evans
07-21-2006, 9:56 AM
byran, try a rare earth magnet, even if it`s stuck in your d/c line they`re strong enough to move the nut to where you can reach it...02 tod

Bryan Ferguson
07-21-2006, 9:58 AM
I tore the whole sysem apart last night. Its not anywhere in the DC line thanks for the idea though. I'll try that next time instead of my more destuctive (yet somewhat gratifying) method

John Miliunas
07-21-2006, 11:13 AM
Bryan, I guarantee it will be in the last place you look for it! :rolleyes: :D (Sorry...Couldn't resist.)

Seriously, though, if you think it may have dropped into the saw while changing blades, as opposed to somewhere on the floor, be absolutely, positively certain to check through the inner working of the saw, to make sure it didn't get lodged somewhere!!! :eek: Even if you can easily locate a replacement, a stray nut like that inside the mechanicals can spell major disaster when you fire it up!!! :eek: :cool:

Tyler Howell
07-21-2006, 11:19 AM
I feel pain DAMHIKT:o

Andy Hoyt
07-21-2006, 11:45 AM
Where can I find an arbor nut, RIGHT NOW?

Google this: tree huggers

Should find plenty of 'em

Doug Shepard
07-21-2006, 11:56 AM
You'll probably have to wait for Griz. I kinda doubt the Borgs would have anything suitable, although an auto parts store might have something.

Wm Myers
07-21-2006, 11:57 AM
Google this: tree huggersShould find plenty of 'em oh man that's cold. The guy just dropped a nut, have mercy on his pour soul...

WP

Mark Rios
07-21-2006, 12:09 PM
oh man that's cold. The guy just dropped a nut, have mercy on his pour soul...

WP

I hate when I drop a nut. I usually can't walk for 3 or 4 days after.

Andy Fox
07-21-2006, 12:12 PM
If you dropped it over or in your saw, I'd say there's a 98% chance it's still in/on your saw somewhere. Due to the amount of experience I have with things like this, :rolleyes: I've found that the best strategy is to go over every square millimeter of the machine (inside and out) as if I were looking for a flea-sized screw. You have to trick your mind into really looking for whereever it might be, not just where your mind thinks it should be.

(I actually did drop a flea-sized screw once, and I found it using this approach! :D)

Could it be in an obvious place like your pocket or workbench or on the arbor :eek: ????

Weird places in my saw I've found hardware:
On the inside ledge of a contractor's saw
Trunions, etc.
behind/on fence rails

Per Swenson
07-21-2006, 12:31 PM
I'am sure that this isn't your situation.

Never the less I would like to share how many times at the hardware store

purchasing that one lost fastener, I was stunned to find it mixed with my

pocket change.

Good luck.

Per

(in search of memory neurons)

Bob Childress
07-21-2006, 12:31 PM
Tod's right--rare earth magnet. I have found tiny metal thingies in piles of sawdust and debris that way. Get one of those telescoping ones or duct tape one to a stick.:D

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-21-2006, 12:36 PM
Bryan, I guarantee it will be in the last place you look for it! :rolleyes: :D (Sorry...Couldn't resist.)

Seriously, though, if you think it may have dropped into the saw while changing blades, as opposed to somewhere on the floor, be absolutely, positively certain to check through the inner working of the saw, to make sure it didn't get lodged somewhere!!! :eek: Even if you can easily locate a replacement, a stray nut like that inside the mechanicals can spell major disaster when you fire it up!!! :eek: :cool:

Yah, what he said. If you sifted the saw dust & it woint there you might try looking the stupidest most obvious places possible. All too often I have found things sitting on a little dark ledge under some thing or other in side a piece of equipment.

Chris Padilla
07-21-2006, 1:10 PM
I can never find a pencil...especially when it is tucked up around my ear...or in my hand! :D

Jim O'Dell
07-21-2006, 1:15 PM
Take a nut of any size, paint it red, then drop in from about the same place you lost the arbor nut, and watch where it goes. Not 100% accurate, but it has worked for me before. Jim

glenn bradley
07-21-2006, 2:09 PM
When you find a source, buy two. I have a spare dust nozzle for a router that was HELL to find. Hope I never need it . . . BUT . . . .

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-21-2006, 3:49 PM
Take a nut of any size, paint it red, then drop in from about the same place you lost the arbor nut, and watch where it goes. Not 100% accurate, but it has worked for me before. Jim

lol. I do that all the time. Without the paint though. I just pay attention. It's about fifty percent good. Which if I could do on the stock market I'd be a zillionaire.

Maybe I shold drop a stock.

Steve Clardy
07-21-2006, 6:10 PM
Dropped the arbor nut for my TS last night, spent three hours searching. Even sifted throught the sawdust in my DC in case it got pulled in. :(

No luck yet finding it. Can I find one at the BORGs or will I have to wait for GRIZZ?

How far away from Springfield are you?