PDA

View Full Version : summerizing software : what is a good free one?

Bob Weisner
07-21-2006, 9:21 AM
Hi:

Are there any good FREE summerizing software programs out there?

Thanks,

Rob Russell
07-21-2006, 9:25 AM
Bob,

If you mean "summarizing", as in mathematical - OpenOffice (http://www.openoffice.org/) - is an open source, freeware competitor to Microsoft's Office. There is an Excel equivalent in there.

If you mean "summerizing" as in something to do with getting ready for summer (for example, opening a cabin that's been closed up ...) - I've got no suggestions.

Rob

Bob Weisner
07-21-2006, 9:27 AM
I have the Open Office program installed. How do you summarize a document using OpenOffice?

Scott Loven
07-21-2006, 9:54 AM
what do you mean by summarize, what is it you want to do?
Scott

Lee DeRaud
07-21-2006, 10:11 AM
Is this the same question as the "auto-abstract software" one you asked a couple months back? If so, I seriously doubt the answer has changed, barring a huge breakthrough in artificial intelligence recently.

Bob Weisner
07-21-2006, 10:29 AM
Just looking for some way to condense a report that is about 60 pages in length down to a few hundred words.

Rob Russell
07-21-2006, 10:38 AM
The only software tool I know of that'll do what you want is sitting between our ears. Some of ours are definitely getting soft, too! :rolleyes:

Lee DeRaud
07-21-2006, 10:48 AM
Just looking for some way to condense a report that is about 60 pages in length down to a few hundred words.Don't mean to be harsh, but the only good way to do that is:

Step 1. read the report
Step 2. write the summary

And both steps need to be done by someone who understands the subject matter, which pretty much eliminates software, free or otherwise.

Mark Rios
07-21-2006, 10:51 AM
I thought he meant that he wanted a program that told how to go on a diet and get a bikini.

Shows what I know.

Bob Weisner
07-21-2006, 11:13 AM
Oh, I went on a diet:eek: Lost 25 pounds in 2 months!!:)

Bob Weisner
07-21-2006, 11:15 AM
I got almost three pages of it done so far. Should not take too much longer to get it done.

John Miliunas
07-21-2006, 11:28 AM
Bob, 'round these parts, most folks I know use Summerizing software long about December through February. Typically IE or Firefox to get to Expedia, Orbitz or similar to find tickets to places more Summer-like than the Midwest!!! :D (sorry...couldn't resist...:rolleyes: ) :D :cool:

Andy Fox
07-21-2006, 12:21 PM
Bob, try the "cut" function to remove anything between the introduction and the conclusion. Works most of the time if these sections are as well-written as they should be. :D

Bob Childress
07-21-2006, 12:40 PM
Nice try Mr. Weisner.:rolleyes:

"Writing is easy: All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead." ~Gene Fowler

"The time to begin writing an article is when you have finished it to your satisfaction. By that time you begin to clearly and logically perceive what it is you really want to say. " ~Mark Twain

Summarizing software??? :eek:

Jerry Olexa
07-21-2006, 8:22 PM
I think this is a task we still have to do the "old fashioned" way i.e., write it out in a condensed summary.
OR:D if you want to be extra summerey, put on a pair of Speedos and crack open a lemonade or your fav beverage. Couldn't resist..

Bob Weisner
07-21-2006, 11:32 PM
Finally got the report done!:) :)

I DID find a software program for summarizing a document!!:) :cool: :D :D

John Miliunas
07-21-2006, 11:50 PM
Finally got the report done!:) :)

I DID find a software program for summarizing a document!!:) :cool: :D :D

OK, I'll bite; What's the program called??? :) :cool:

Bob Weisner
07-21-2006, 11:54 PM
OK, I'll bite; What's the program called??? :) :cool: