PDA

View Full Version : Long shank forstner bit

Mark Rios
07-21-2006, 12:16 AM
Does anyone know if any store BESIDES Rockler sell a 3 7/8"+ long shank, 35mm forstner bit for drilling euro hinge cup holes?

The Rockler bit is pretty steep for how long it lasts. I'm not necessarily tring to get a cheaper one, just one that will last longer. The Rockler bit that I have now is starting to make holes that are noticably a little rough after only 17 doors/34 holes.

Thanks for any advice.

glenn bradley
07-21-2006, 2:07 AM
Woodcraft sells forstner bit extensions for 3/8 and 1/2 shanks; about $4 to $5 although I have no experience with them. Here's another one:

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/forsext.htm

David Rose
07-21-2006, 3:25 AM
Mark,

Check and see what Freud sells in carbide for that. I don't have a 35mm, but I think my larger sizes are close to that length. And they will last.

That should be close to 1 3/8, if my math is right. I think it only comes in 3 1/2". You'll probably need to follow Glenn's advice to get the length, unless you can find something longer. Lee Valley lists a carbide 35mm, but they don't state the length. You might email them for that info.

David

Does anyone know if any store BESIDES Rockler sell a 3 7/8"+ long shank, 35mm forstner bit for drilling euro hinge cup holes?

The Rockler bit is pretty steep for how long it lasts. I'm not necessarily tring to get a cheaper one, just one that will last longer. The Rockler bit that I have now is starting to make holes that are noticably a little rough after only 17 doors/34 holes.

Thanks for any advice.

Mark Rios
07-21-2006, 6:20 AM
Thanks very much to you both. Sorry, I should have mentioned before; I can't use an extension because the length of the shaft slides through a guide. Like so:

Gary Keedwell
07-21-2006, 7:12 AM
I used your set up with a CARBIDE forstner from Rockler....and did all kinds of holes for dogs on my new workbench. Still seems sharp. Just my 2 cents.

Gary K.

Mark Rios
07-21-2006, 10:56 AM
I used your set up with a CARBIDE forstner from Rockler....and did all kinds of holes for dogs on my new workbench. Still seems sharp. Just my 2 cents.

Gary K.

I got the carbide bit as well, Gary. That's my dilemma; it seems like it should have lasted longer.