PDA

View Full Version : New to rough lumber - need advice

Jeremy Gibson
07-20-2006, 9:41 PM
I'd like to get some of the deck projects out of my shop and start working on some bedroom furniture. This will be painted white for a beachy look per LOML's request (I know, don't cover nice wood). Night stands and dresser will be plywood and poplar and the king size bed frame will be maple for strength.

I found a local dealer with plenty of species and their rough wood is S2S - surfaced on the two faces and rough on the edges (I think I have that right). So, the 4/4 stock is already less than 4/4 and not finish-quality. I assume I would need to run it through my planner to clean it up anyway and lose more thickness? If I need the finished thickness to be 1" should I buy 5/4...6/4 and plane it down?

CPeter James
07-20-2006, 9:48 PM
If you need the finished product to be 1", then 5/4 is not going to be enough. It will be 1" if it is S2S now and you want to finish it in you planer. 6/4 would be 1 1/4" from the supplier at S2S. That would give you 1/4" to get to you finished 1" dimension.

CPeter

Dan Oliphant
07-20-2006, 9:56 PM
Jeremy, if you already have a planer and a table saw, buy rough sawn lumber not S2S. The additional time required to surface your material is not that big an issue, the cost savings may be worth the time.