PDA

View Full Version : Jointer question

David Klug
09-24-2003, 9:29 AM
I bought a Craftman jointer model #103-23900 which was made by Kings Seely. No manuel. The motor has a 1 3/4" pulley and the jointer has a 1 1/4" pulley. Does this look like the right ratio? It seems to turn slow to me. If it isn't how much larger pulley should I put on the motor to get the correct speed? I put new 6" blades in it but it doesn't seem to cut like it should. I even had the blades sharpened, but it still doesn't seem to cut like it should. I doesn't make any difference how slow that I feed the board across the cutters, the board viabrates quite a bit. Any thoughts or advice will be appreciated. TIA.

Dave

Ace Karner
09-24-2003, 7:05 PM
Mine has a two inch on the joiner and a 3 inch on the motor. the motor is 1725 rpm. It is a King sealy about 35 years old as best I can determine.

Jerry Crawford
09-24-2003, 8:31 PM
Mine has a two inch on the joiner and a 3 inch on the motor. the motor is 1725 rpm. It is a King sealy about 35 years old as best I can determine.

a jointer cutter head operates at an optimum speed determined by the manufacturer. They vary betweem makes and size & so forth. Once you determine what teh speed yours shold be you can match the sheaves (pully's) on teh motor and cutter head to achieve that speed. Any larger supply house catalog such as MSC or Grangers has the formula for computing that based on your motor speed and the desired speed of the cutter head. In the case above his speed ratio is 3:2 and his cutter head is spinning about 2587RPM

Jerry Crawford
09-24-2003, 8:43 PM
I bought a Craftman jointer model #103-23900 which was made by Kings Seely. No manuel. The motor has a 1 3/4" pulley and the jointer has a 1 1/4" pulley. Does this look like the right ratio? It seems to turn slow to me. If it isn't how much larger pulley should I put on the motor to get the correct speed? I put new 6" blades in it but it doesn't seem to cut like it should. I even had the blades sharpened, but it still doesn't seem to cut like it should. I doesn't make any difference how slow that I feed the board across the cutters, the board viabrates quite a bit. Any thoughts or advice will be appreciated. TIA.

Dave

Assuming your motor is a 1725 RPM motor your cutter head is only spining at 2415RPM's and that seems a bit slow to me. I calculated mine up to around 3000. Since you say the tool seems to be slow I have to assume your motor isn't a 3450 RPM or else that critter would be smoking along at over 5000 RPM.

You can do your own pully speed calculations at this page. Just plug in your numbers.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/pulleybeltcalc.html

David Eisan
09-25-2003, 9:04 PM
You are looking for 4000-5000 RPM on the cutterhead.

This is the standard speed of Delta, General and Powermatic.

Jerry Crawford
09-25-2003, 11:21 PM
You are looking for 4000-5000 RPM on the cutterhead.

This is the standard speed of Delta, General and Powermatic.

thank you David - I didn't recall that when I wrote the comments above. Good to know.