PDA

View Full Version : 1rst post & latest project.

Frank Howell
07-20-2006, 5:29 PM
Hey folks,
This is my first post here. I've been lurking for a while and decided to dive on in.

I've been WWing for about 4 years now and really loving it. I mostly like to work up my own designs, I'm an ACADD IT Designer by trade, and a Mechanical Designer by Training. Started WWing because IT, (Telecom), drawings and design is pretty mind numbing and I really needed to exercise my creative side.

Here's my latest piece, a book stand for my parents. They have a huge book on North American birds.
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/Ice-Pirate/Woodworking/Bookstand/Finished/IMG_2984.jpg

Timbers are Jatoba, (Brazilian Cherry), for the drawer box and top, Tiger Maple for the legs, drawer face and ledger board, and Poplar for the innards. The inlay is a Cardinal on a branch and done in Paduak. The finish is Sam Maloof, oil/wax.

Lots of firsts for me on this project. My first Inlay,
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/Ice-Pirate/Woodworking/Bookstand/Finished/IMG_2950.jpg

My first attempt at making drawers, and a secret compartment which will contain a bottle of their favorite wine to celibrate with when they find it.
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/Ice-Pirate/Woodworking/Bookstand/Finished/IMG_2996.jpg

Finally, this was my first attempt at doing Thru-wedged Tennons, that attached the top to the legs.
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/Ice-Pirate/Woodworking/Bookstand/Finished/IMG_2946.jpg
Yeah, I know, the Walnut wedges should be going the other way, DOUGHT! I'm thinking though, that as small as they are, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

The whole thing sets on a lazy susan so it will pivot around easy without scratching the top of the table it'll set on.

Hope you like it. Any and all critiques are encouraged and welcome, (thats how I learn). Thanks,

Frank Howell
(AKA Ice Pirate)

glenn bradley
07-20-2006, 5:32 PM
Beautifully done. Thank you for the great pics!

Jerry Olexa
07-20-2006, 5:45 PM
Frank, that is beautiful work. Shows lots of patience and attn to the details. Extremely nice !!!!!

Helen Gee
07-20-2006, 5:48 PM
Wow!! those are beautiful dovetails! I love the contrasting wood and the beautiful inlay :) Welcome to SMC and looking forward to seeing more of your projects!!

Joe Unni
07-20-2006, 5:49 PM
Frank,

First...Welcome!!

Three different species - I love it! Wood is just sooooo beautiful isn't it?!?!

If I had to offer any critique - I'd have ditched the knobs and gone for a routed finger pull on the bottom or sides of the drawer front (i.e. concealed). I think the knobs detract (sp?) from the the design and beauty of the wood. Try this - put your pinky and index fingers over the knobs on the photos. You'll see the cardinal POP! My humble opinion.

Just the same - great design and execution. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

-joe

John Miliunas
07-20-2006, 5:52 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Frank!!! And, might I add, with much gusto!!! :) That's positively gorgeous! Wonderful design, wood selection and the details are spot on! :) Well done and hope to be seeing more of your work! :) :cool:

Dan Oliphant
07-20-2006, 6:14 PM
Welcome to the creek Frank, beautiful project well executed.

Jerry Strojny
07-20-2006, 6:16 PM
Welcome to the Creek!

Love the contrasting wood you went with. Design looks great too. Just another reason I know I won't be posting many of my projects. Great work man.

Vaughn McMillan
07-20-2006, 8:21 PM
Welcome to the Creek Frank. Very nice work. I think I concur with Joe on the drawer pulls, but with or without them, it's a beautiful book stand, and I'm sure it'll be very appreciated by tour parents.

You wouldn't be related to Frank Chaffee or Tyler Howell, would you? ;) :p

- Vaughn

Ken Fitzgerald
07-20-2006, 8:54 PM
Welcome to the Creek Frank! Stunning work! Look forward to your future projects!

Again..........Welcome!

Dave Ray
07-20-2006, 10:05 PM
Frank, you found your calling, beautiful piece of work. Neat design. perfect execution, selection and combnation of woods very pleasing to the eye. Can't wait to see more of your work.

Jack Ferrell
07-20-2006, 10:35 PM
Frank, I think it looks fantastic. Well thought out project with nice execution. I was hoping to see a project such as this with Sam Maloof's oil/wax finish and, I like it also. The cardinal on the branch even looks good as your avatar. I'm sure your parents will be quite pleased. I know I would be.

Frank Chaffee
07-21-2006, 12:04 AM
A most lovely piece in all ways, Frank!

Thanks,
Frank

Julio Navarro
07-21-2006, 12:12 AM
Excellent piece!

dont forget to take a picture when they find that bottle! What a thoughtfull detail, I love it.

How about writing a clue rhyme riddle with clues on how to get at the hidden secret drawer, maybe a rhyme about some of the birds in that big book?

I love the project.

Karl Laustrup
07-21-2006, 4:40 AM
Frank, I gotta get my $1.398 worth in here. First, welcome to the "Creek". Glad to have you wading around.

I see you understand we like pictures. Pictures of almost anything, but especially of beautiful projects. Well done. I hope you have signed your work as that will be around for a long time.

Karl

Bob Childress
07-21-2006, 7:11 AM
Frank,

Welcome to the Creek. What an introduction--such a fine piece of craftsmanship!

In order to really critique it properly, though, I think you should send it to me so I can look it over closely for about 20 years or so.:D :D

tod evans
07-21-2006, 8:26 AM
welcome frank! nice work! tod

Jim Bills
07-21-2006, 9:59 AM
Frank, really nice work, as well as design. How did you do the drawer slides? I can't see enough details from the photo, it appears to be a sliding dovetail.

Jim

Martin Lutz
07-21-2006, 10:19 AM
Awesome job!! Welcome to the Creek!

Frank Howell
07-24-2006, 3:30 PM
Thanks for all the great replies, and sorry it took so long to respond, took a long weekend in Wyoming. Thanks also for the tip on the drawer pulls, I hadn't even thought about finger pulls on the edges. I'll keep it in mind for future projects.

Jim Bills, the drawer glides are just a blind dado with a matching square rail on the inside. As this was my first drawer, I wanted to keep it as simple as possible.

Karl, Dang straight I signed it! I want the world to know who made this one.:D

Jack, I really love Maloof's finishes. It's almost identical to another finish I'd read about on another site, called Dave's Rude & Crude, only you don't have to mix it your self. It really pops out the figure in the grain.

Thanks also to all for the warm welcome and wonderful comments.

Lars Thomas
07-24-2006, 5:31 PM
Frank, I missed this earlier. This is a one of a kind piece. Beautiful. I like the shape of the 'legs' and the fact there are two on each side. A very nice hidden detail.

Shelley Bolster
07-24-2006, 6:32 PM
The message is gone, so am I