PDA

View Full Version : nova G3 chuck

byron constantine
07-20-2006, 3:38 PM
Anyone have this chuck? I just ordered one from woodcraft for my
rikon. I thought the supernova was a bit big for this lathe.Any comments?
Byron

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-20-2006, 3:49 PM
I have it on my Nova DVR 3000, it is a good chuck, but I'll be wanting to get a bigger one for the outboard turning I want to do one day.

Is you Rikon the Midi?

I'd say it would be just about perfect for that sized lathe.

Cheers!

Travis Stinson
07-20-2006, 6:36 PM
The G3 was designed specifically for the mini lathes. I have one dedicated to my Jet mini and think it's the perfect size for it. I love mine. An added plus, all the Nova jaws and acc. will fit the G3.

Richard Jones
07-20-2006, 9:54 PM
Byron,

I have a G3 on my Rikon, plus an older Midi. My dad also has a Rikon, and he got a SN2 for his. I really don't think it's too large for the lathe, altho' the G3/Midi size does appear to "fit" better as far as looks go.

I think you'll really like the G3. Also breaks down fairly easily for cleaning, say, if you HAPPEN to douse the jaws in CA................ :D

Rich in VA

Vaughn McMillan
07-20-2006, 11:29 PM
I've got the G3 and have been happy with it so far in my limited use. Well made, versatile (being able to accept a wide range of jaws), and it's easy to change inserts for differently-threaded headstocks if and when you get another lathe. I bought it for a Wilton mini, roughed out one small bowl with it, then got a bigger lathe. I've now finished the small bowl and roughed out two larger ones on the big lathe, and the G3 has done the job nicely. Keep in mind this is my first chuck, so I really have no comparative experience. I got mine from these folks -- http://www.woodchipshome.com/ -- they seemed to have the best price when I was shopping a month or so ago. Someday I may invest in a bigger one, but for now the G3 is better than my skills.

Standard no affiliation yada yada disclaimer. Just a happy customer. ;) Plus, our own Travis Stinson is the featured turner this month on their home page. What's not to like? :p

- Vaughn