PDA

View Full Version : Build it and they will come.

Don Farr
09-24-2003, 8:36 AM
HA HA! I fooled you. You thought I was talking about wood. :D

No, I built and planted a food plot and feeding station for the deer on my property. They did come.

Jim Becker
09-24-2003, 9:15 AM
No need for that here! They just come...without invitation. Unfortunately, they also eat...things we would prefer that they do not eat. The deer around here, like in many suburban areas, have no fear of humans and in some cases, you can almost walk right up to them.

What we do feed are the turkeys, however...we are, after all, bird people!

Don Farr
09-24-2003, 9:42 AM
No need for that here! They just come...without invitation. Unfortunately, they also eat...things we would prefer that they do not eat. The deer around here, like in many suburban areas, have no fear of humans and in some cases, you can almost walk right up to them.

What we do feed are the turkeys, however...we are, after all, bird people!

Hey Jim, That is a great shot of that struting Tom. I counted twenty hens and toms in my front yard Monday morning.
You must have a telephoto lens or something, I can't get in camera range of the ones around my house. They spook easily.

Jim Becker
09-24-2003, 10:06 AM
Hey Jim, That is a great shot of that struting Tom. I counted twenty hens and toms in my front yard Monday morning.
You must have a telephoto lens or something, I can't get in camera range of the ones around my house. They spook easily.

It's just the extreme range of my digital camera's optical + digital zoom. It's not clear at full resolution, but reducing the size of the pic for posting as well as some "enhancing" in Photoshop Elements did the trick for a clear picture.

We get anywhere from just a few to about 22 turkeys on a visit, depending on the time of year, etc. Ours are a little spooky most of the time, but there have been instances where they munch without concern when we are working in the yard not all that far from them. They also come close to the house, as these pics show.

1) Hen sleeping/resting on deck rail
2) Small group poking around patio for goodies
3) Small group peering into the eating area at our "inside birdies"

Daniel Rabinovitz
09-24-2003, 12:43 PM
Say Don and Jim
Thank you so much for posting those photos of the deer and turkeys.
I had to print out the 5 pages for Katy to see when she comes home tonight.
In the 36 years here in this home, we have only seen one ring neck pheasant but also get deer through our lot throughout the year. Also an occasional opossom and two racoons. As far as the bird population goes - we get most of the common back yard birds at the 5 feeders. We go through about 600 lbs of oil sunflower seeds a year. I do have a squirrel feeder - and you can really tell the personalties of the various squirrels as they lift the lid to fetch a peanut - Squirrel feeding season starts in November.
So thanks again.
Daniel :cool: