PDA

View Full Version : need help with tool rest

Bill O'Conner
07-20-2006, 3:36 PM
ok I got just about everything set up for turning in my Garage but I notice that the tool rest holder was broken at one time and was welded. I can't get it to go all the way in for small turning . I was wondering if there is a place that I might be able to get a replacement. It's an old sears craftsman from early 50's maybe 60's.

Thanks
Bill

John Timberlake
07-20-2006, 4:03 PM
Is yours the one with the single tube? I had the same problem with mine about 10 years ago and was able to order one from Sears. Don't know if they have that kind of part any more.

Bill O'Conner
07-20-2006, 4:06 PM
my lathe has a cast iron bed and the tool rest holder also looks like it's cast too

Scott Donley
07-20-2006, 4:20 PM
Hi Bill, any chance of a photo of what you are talking about. Any chance you could file down the weld ? I know your new so don't take offence, but have you angled the banjo as far as it will go rather than going strait in ?

Bill O'Conner
07-20-2006, 4:29 PM
Hi Bill, any chance of a photo of what you are talking about. Any chance you could file down the weld ? I know your new so don't take offence, but have you angled the banjo as far as it will go rather than going strait in ?

No offence taken
I might try the Dremel on it or take it to work and see if they'll let me use the angle grinder.
Would like to find a replacement for it if I could

I don't have a camera here right now the Gf is using it to try and sell some comic books she has.

Rich Souchek
07-20-2006, 6:52 PM
[quote=Bill O'Conner]Would like to find a replacement for it if I could[quote]
I got another banjo tool rest assembly from The Cutting Edge ( http://www.cuttingedgetools.com/ ) about 3 months ago for roughly $50. It was a Jet part that fit my old Delta lathe perfectly. (This included the cast that goes across the wasy, the interior bolt, hold-down plate, and off-center pin with handle.)
You might call them,and check into it...
rich S.