PDA

View Full Version : Gas or electric?

Michael Armstrong
07-20-2006, 3:33 PM
I've lurked in the background enough. Actually I have spent way too much time watching the abysseration thread! Wow.

I'm a turner from Ontario, Canada and have been turning for about a dozen or so years now. I'm in the market for a chainsaw. I've narrowed my decision down to a Stihl but am wondering whether to go gas or electric. I get most of my turning stock given to me but some of it needs to be blocked or cut into bowl blanks. I don't forsee myself going out into the countryside looking for wood but one never knows. I'd like to be able to do some cutting in the garage because it can be pretty cold, snowy and windy up here in the winter. I'm looking for recommendations on which to choose. Thanks!

Michael

David Foshee
07-20-2006, 3:42 PM
I have considered buying an inexpensive electirc saw for preparing bowl blanks inside. However I am in South Carolina so I can get outside most anytime. I us my saw to gather wood as well as prepare blanks so I need a gas saw. An electric saw does not have same power as a gas saw but will get the job done and you can use it inside. I have used my gas saw inside and do not recomend it.

John Miliunas
07-20-2006, 4:20 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Mike!!! Glad to have you off of "lurking status"! :D

My vote goes for Both!!! I'd first get the Stihl gas, because you can use it anywhere (outdoors). Even if the bulk of your stock is given to you, even in the winter, it wouldn't take that long to jump outside and hack up a few blanks as you need them. :) I'd still get an electric for doing stock inside, just as you describe. However, that would be intended more for the smaller stock, which you can do anytime. (Not much point in dragging the BIG, heavy stuff inside and handling it twice!) My electric gets much less use than the Stihl and, for that reason, I just picked up a lesser expensive Remington brand, which has served me well. Oh, and for the bigger stock, you'll most certainly appreciate the added power of the gas unit when you have to rip a long piece!!! :) :cool:

Tom Jones III
07-20-2006, 4:23 PM
Before I got a gas chain saw I used a sawz all to prep all my blanks. It was a very slow and frustrating experience but it did work. Before I did that again I'd go outside in the snow and saw up blanks. I have no idea how an electric chain saw would compare to a sawzall.

Michael Armstrong
07-20-2006, 5:19 PM
Thanks for the input guys! I've just retruned from visiting the 2 Stihl dealers in town and got conflicting answers from them. One says the pro model of electric will handle anything i would throw at it and has plenty of power for a 20 inch bar. He also said the 260 might be a little underpowered for that length of bar. The other dealer said that he had heard of problems with the electric saws because people were using them for jobs that were too much for the saw. He also said that they aren't even in their new pages to order - they don't stock electric saws so I really wonder how much experience there is behind the opinion.

I already have an old Black & Decker electric chain saw that was my dad's and maybe should try the 260 and hope the old electric will do the trick for the trimming process. guess I'll have to ponder this a bit more and see what other opinions are forthcoming.

Michael

Mike Jory
07-20-2006, 5:20 PM
Mike;
Gee, I recently also became a reader/user/poster to "The Creek" and now I get to welcome someone - Welcome.
I use a old 25 year old McCullah (sp) that I bought from a neighbor. I like the portablity, and sometimes keep the saw in my truck if I think I'm going to come by some wood.
Not ever having used an electric, I can see where they would have some use, at home, in the shop. I would guess the maintenance, as far as the chain is concerned would be near the same. But possibly less expensive to operate an electric.
Mike

Dario Octaviano
07-20-2006, 6:24 PM
Stihl MS260 is probably the smallest I will ever buy...if you can, get a bigger one, you will appreciate the ease you will go through those wood.

Electric definitely have its place if you plan on using it inside. If your dad's B&D is still working, definitely go for the gas instead.

Good luck!

Chris Barton
07-20-2006, 6:38 PM
I have a gas chainsaw, only because I can't find any electrical outlets out in the woods.

Joe Fisher
07-20-2006, 8:06 PM
Michael,

I was in your predicament a year or so ago. Like another poster said, BOTH! :D

I started with a 3hp Craftsman electric with a 16" bar. I still use it very frequently in the shop to slab up bowl blanks, or to knock the corners of a big or unwieldy blank before putting it on the bandsaw or lathe. I wouldn't want to be without it.

I later went out and bought a Husqvarna 350 with an 18" bar for doing larger work and field work. I looooooooooove this saw :) The Craftsman is great, but for sawing 20" of hickory log into bowl blanks, it's a little outclassed.

-Joe

Andy Hoyt
07-20-2006, 8:14 PM
Michael - Think through the bar length question first. You'll want a bar length that is longer (by several inches) than the swing of your current (and future) lathe. Why? So when it comes time to slab chunks you can do it in one pass with the chainsaw. Then compare your options in that narrowed down field.

Me. I'd go gas. And yes, I've got gas:eek:

Dennis Peacock
07-20-2006, 8:23 PM
I would recommend the Stihl MS290 (FarmBoss). It's a little more money than the 260, but a better saw that was built to take rough farm use. I have the MS-361 Pro and when I pull the trigger? Just hang on because she's gonna do some wood eatin. :eek: :cool: :D

For all around cutting? It's hard to be a good gas chainsaw. You can get an electric model that will be great for inside cutting in the winter. So yea.!!!! Go with BOTH. ;)

Michael Armstrong
07-20-2006, 8:28 PM
Most of the opinions I'm getting are supporting the gas model. Right now my shop is in my basement and I don't see that changing so my Oneway 1018 might be the largest lathe I'll ever own. Is the Stihl 260 the right saw since the bar length won't be any problem for the diameter stuff?

Dennis, I'll check out the 290 now that I've seen your reply.

Me. I'd go gas. And yes, I've got gas

Andy, I'm pretty sure they have things that you can take to help with that problem. From what I undestand from the abysseration thread it may have something to do with vast quantities of Moxie :D - don't know anything about that cuz they don't sell it here!

thanks to everyone for all the input!

Michael

Andy Hoyt
07-20-2006, 8:33 PM
Another member of the Mayo Clinic! Happy Days!

That 1018 is a sweet lass. Just ask Brian McInturff - he's got my old one.

With that swing pretty much it for now, I'd go with a 16 or 18" bar.

But I'd still go gas. Fresh air is good for ya, especially when it's 20 below.

Michael Armstrong
07-20-2006, 8:37 PM
Another member of the Mayo Clinic! Happy Days!

Since the manufacturer is only about 2 hours drive from here, how could i possibly choose anything else! I've met and talked with most of the family over the years and even got a quick tour when I picked the lathe up.

Joe Mioux
07-20-2006, 9:54 PM
If you are weighing the pros and cons between a gas saw and an electric saw, chances are you won't be cutting down trees. I assume I am correct and your needs for a big chain saw is minimal.

Go GAS. but go small and save a few bucks. I have a "rare" .023 STIHL with a 16" bar. I have cut 30" diameter Oak trees (they were already felled) with this thing and never once needed anymore power. Sharp chains are the key!

If funds are available and you are so inclineded to buy bigger do so, but just remember the smaller Stihl's may do everything you require.

Joe

Brad Schmid
07-20-2006, 11:06 PM
Most of the opinions I'm getting are supporting the gas model. Right now my shop is in my basement and I don't see that changing so my Oneway 1018 might be the largest lathe I'll ever own. Is the Stihl 260 the right saw since the bar length won't be any problem for the diameter stuff?

Dennis, I'll check out the 290 now that I've seen your reply.

Michael

Michael,
I'm a saw addict... a bonified, card carryin' saw junkie:D
I'll try to tone it down a bit for this thread though to be sympathetic to your wallet;) And, I'll stick to Stihl since you seem to have your mind made up already.

The MS260 is the smallest displacement saw in the Stihl Pro lineup. It will typically run about $500. I had one for a few months, it's a good limbing saw, and would fill your needs. It likes an 18" bar better than a 20". The MS361 mentioned by Dennis is the next step up the pro line. I run one too, as well as a few others here on SMC, it's a strong saw especially after it's broke in and muffler modded.

The MS290 is also a good saw, although it sits about right in the middle of the Stihl mid-range class of saws. This saw runs roughly around $350 and would also fill your needs as you describe them. The difference in the Pro line and the midrange line is construction and materials. The pro-lineup saws are built to run all day, every day, but admittedly not everyone needs that, thus the market for the occassional use and midrange lines.

Normally, I can't help but recommend pro saws, but in your case, I refrain since you seem to be fairly confident in your lighter use intentions. A 45-60cc mid range saw would do anything you want if well maintained and operated. Course, if yout budget isn't restricted, you won't regret jumping to a pro saw.

Finally, I have 1 electric saw in my lineup and use it occasionally at night in the shop and when I don't want to annoy the neighbors to cut something small. But there are some downsides to electric:
- regarding safety gear, protective chaps are ineffective for electric saws.
- chain speed is much slower
- Torque is good but power low

Now, if'n ya lose your mind and get hooked on saws like me, or you run in to some big wood, come on back and we'll talk 660's and modifieds:D
Happy hunting!
Cheers

Dennis Peacock
07-21-2006, 11:56 AM
Now, if'n ya lose your mind and get hooked on saws like me, or you run in to some big wood, come on back and we'll talk 660's and modifieds:D
Happy hunting!
Cheers

Oh My Gosh!!!!!!! Not a Stihl TimberSaw Competition setup??!!!!!!!:eek: :p :D :D

Talk about something that will cut a little bowl blank? MS-660

Or you COULD get the MS-770 Pro as well if you need a little "extra" horsepower. :rolleyes: :D

Brad Schmid
07-21-2006, 12:18 PM
Oh My Gosh!!!!!!! Not a Stihl TimberSaw Competition setup??!!!!!!!:eek: :p :D

Or you COULD get the MS-770 Pro as well if you need a little "extra" horsepower. :rolleyes: :D

Dennis, I truly have lost my mind. It started out as chainsaws feeding my turning addiction like most here, and it evolved into a full blown addiction of it's own. The vortex doesn't end at the lathe, let me assure you;). I'm currently waiting for my 660 to return from a saw mod shop in Washington state and I already find myself on a quest for a Stihl MS880, an old Stihl 090, or Husqvarna 3120. It's like hotrods and muscle cars... You can't believe the "rush" you can get by experiencing the power:cool: I have been valiantly battling the Hotsaw/Bikesaw urge so far, those things are truly outa this world. Beware my friend, it's a dangerous line to cross:D

I intentionally try to keep my saw enthusiasm off the SMC forums and on the ones where it belongs, just so I don't drag ya'll in. But, I was tricked into "coming outa the closet" on this one:)

Sheesh, I just realized I need to get myself back on track and turn something:o

Dario Octaviano
07-21-2006, 12:23 PM
Oh My Gosh!!!!!!! Not a Stihl TimberSaw Competition setup??!!!!!!!:eek: :p :D :D

Whay stop there? MS880 is a bit stronger, maybe modified saws by Dennis Cahoon or maybe the "Predator"?

Honestly, if you want to learn a bit more about chainsaws, you can visit http://www.arboristsite.com/ they have a forum dedicated to chainsaws...and some of them are very passionate about it too!!! ;)

Brad Schmid
07-21-2006, 12:28 PM
Whay stop there? MS880 is a bit stronger, maybe modified saws by Dennis Cahoon or maybe the "Predator"?

Honestly, if you want to learn a bit more about chainsaws, you can visit arboristsite, they have a forum dedicated to chainsaws...and some of them are very passionate about it too!!! ;)

Ok Dario, be careful now, we're gonna corrupt all our fine friends here:D
'for ya know it, they'll all be building V8 hotsaws:cool:

Michael Armstrong
07-21-2006, 12:54 PM
You guys are starting to scare me! Maybe one vortex is enough for the weak willed such as myself.

Still mulling over the siuation but some day soon I'm gonna have a nice saw to use. I mean when the LOML tells me that I should get a chainsaw what is a fella to do?;) :D :)

Michael

John Miliunas
07-21-2006, 1:11 PM
I mean when the LOML tells me that I should get a chainsaw what is a fella to do?;) :D :)

Michael

Michael, you answered your own question!!! Or rather, the LOYL did! Get yourself a nice Stihl (I have the MS 290 and find it great for most applications) and call it good! ....for now! :D When you start to come in from the fridgid cold in the depths of Winter, the LOYL may "suggest" you get yourself something smaller, which you can use indoors! :D :cool:

Bobby Wartman
07-21-2006, 2:36 PM
I don't turn bowl's, but I do have chainsaw's.
My latest gas unit is a Husky 2.4cuin. I also have a electric one.

These are relatively smaller saw's. I don't want a heavy saw to welled around all day.

The electric is supper lite weight and therefore is easy to handle in tighter places. this can really be a plus. No it doesn't have the power of the gas saw, but it does a nice job and you can buy them cheap. Just watch your electric cord.;)

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-21-2006, 3:42 PM
I've got an old Husky 85 cc that I use with my sawmill attachment, and I have two electric saws. One is a small Makita, and for a tiny light weight saw it can cut some real wood (remember, sharpen that chain!!)............

The little Makita that could ;)

I also have an older Shindaiwa electric, it really cuts, the power on it is amazing, an it is quiet (remember, I like in downtown Tokyo).

That being said, the Gas saw is the way to go for a first saw, but a nice electric should have a place in your shop too. Talk to the dealers, they will sometimes have electrics they took on trade etc, that they have trouble re-selling.

Oh yeah, my old Husky is fairly quiet as well...............

Notice the muffler from my RMX250R dirt bike :D

Cheers!

Dario Octaviano
07-21-2006, 4:43 PM
Stu,

What? No shot of the "Dungeon"? :D ;)

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-21-2006, 10:15 PM
Stu,

What? No shot of the "Dungeon"? :D ;)

Just for you Dario! :D