PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor Advice

Greg Caputo
07-20-2006, 12:25 PM
Hello all. This is my first post. I've been reading posts here for a while, and decided to join because of the humor, good will, and courtesy I've seen, especially for hobbyists like me.

I need advice. I'm going to purchase the Wagner HVLP spray gun recommended by Jim Becker. And since my compressor died last week, I have the opportunity to purchase a new one. Harbor Freight has a couple Central Pneumatic compressors which will meet my requirements and there's a store near me. Any opinions regarding HF or Central Pneumatic?

Thank you all in advance for any thoughts you have.
Greg

tod evans
07-20-2006, 12:28 PM
welcome to smc greg!

Russ Filtz
07-20-2006, 1:12 PM
Probably more money, but have you considered an Ingersoll Garagemate? Semi-portable, yet big enough for most tasks. Probably around $550 at Northerntool.

CPeter James
07-20-2006, 1:20 PM
As with some other things, spend more than you think you can afford. I am on my 5th (I think) compressor, each larger than the last. The present one is a 5hp IR T30 that does 18 cfm at 180 psi. It has a true 5 hp Baldor motor. It is adequate!!

CPeter

Greg Koch
07-20-2006, 1:21 PM
Welcome, Greg!

Here's the one I have had for about 3 years. I used it to stain/seal 650 lft of 6' cedar fence, air wrenches and cleaning/dust removal. I like the oil filled pumps. IMO, they are quieter and will last longer than oil-less ones.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Compressors+%26+Air+Tools&pid=00919541000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Air+Compressors+%26+Inflators&BV_SessionID=@@@@2058282106.1153414875@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdjaddighdmggfcegecegjdghldgfk.0

YMMV

Greg

Allen Bookout
07-20-2006, 2:17 PM
Welcome Greg!

I'm with CPeter James. Start small and waste a lot of money in the end or start adequate and be ahead in the end. I also took CPeter and Ken Garlocks advise and got an Ingersol Rand a few months ago and am real happy with it and have a lot of confidence in it. I did not go with the great unit that he has but went with the very good single stage 5HP (running) 80 gallon 18.1 CFM at 90psi, 135psi max (continuous duty with synthetic oil) and that is plenty for me. I think that the 3hp (running) 60 gallon would be plenty for most woodworkers.

If you have a Tractor Supply around it would be worth a look. That is where I found the best deal on IR single stage compressors. Even with tax it was cheaper than ordering from Northern Tool and having to wait for it to be delivered from the factory.

I did not buy from Home Depot because Campbell Hausfeld builds their compressors and continues with their deceptive practice of listing the start up HP instead of the running HP.

I personally do not have much confidence in anything from Harbor Freight that has a motor on it. I was forced to buy a small angle grinder for a quick job knowing that I would be ahead if I could just get this one job done with it. Sure enough after twenty minutes it was toast but got what I needed from it. It was a Chicago Electric. Same type of thing from a couple of friends of mine. I do not know if the Central Pneumatic is any better quality or not but I would not chance it.

Good Luck! Allen

Greg Koch
07-20-2006, 3:09 PM
I don't believe you have to always buy a "Hummer" in order to tow a trailer.... Matching your needs with your budget makes more sense to me. Not everyone will end up needing a compressor they can blow up the Goodyear blimp. :D There are some nice pieces of equipment that will do what you want, now in the future, at a reasonable price. Only you can know what you want to do "tomorrow".

I would not recommend the HF brand, myself, but it's the reputation of the brand/products, not the price.

Vaughn McMillan
07-20-2006, 3:25 PM
I have a no-name compressor that I bought several years ago from the local Kragen Auto Parts store. It's got an oil-filled pump, so as Greg mentioned, it's a bit quieter than the oilless models. It's done OK for my limited needs (blowing stuff off and driving a brad/pin/staple guns). Prior to this one, I went through three (IIRC) compressors from Harbor Freight (including a Campbell Hausfeld) that were dying within weeks of purchase.

- Vaughn

Julio Navarro
07-20-2006, 3:41 PM
since you asked about opinions on HF and Central Pneumatic.

My opinion is, and its only my humble opinion, you will have to buy another one soon or have it rapaired even sooner.

Every major tool I have bought from HF has failed, broke or lost parts from normal use and all just a few days after the 90 day money back period.

I bought a compressor, 8 gallon 2hp, I belive, and it sprang a leak as well as the pressure gauge broke. They would not replace it.

I would recommend against anything from HF. Just my humble opinion and I know many here like their stuff and have had much better luck than I have with them.

Chris Barton
07-20-2006, 7:03 PM
I seem to be donig OK with my compressor. I have a 29 year old Craftsman compressor with 20 gallon tank. I bought it new and have never had any problems and use it every day. I would buy a new one in a heart beat. I have painted cars, houses, finished furniture, run inpact drivers, sanders, etc over that period of time without problems. It was made by Campbell-Haufstead for sears...

Bobby Wartman
07-20-2006, 7:56 PM
Matching your needs with your budget makes more sense to me.
The problem with that is "what's your next big project/adventure?

there has been referance to one fellow having gone thru 5 compressor's, each getting a little bigger.

The one I have now would be overkill for some.
80gal 2 stage Belaire.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/Warthog5/P1010222.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/Warthog5/p1010066.jpg

Yes I even installed a hour meter on it to service it regularly.:)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/Warthog5/p1010077.jpg

This was a upgrade from a Sanborn 60gal single stage that lasted 12yrs till I wore it out. I now have the 60gal tank set up with the movement of 2- ballvalves I can bring that tank online too, for a total of 140gal.

I run a lot of air tool's on diffrent project's. Air grinder's DA sander's and air file's which consume mass quanities of air.

I will not want for air with this setup. A blast cabinet may be a future tool.

The Belaire has a 2yr bumper to bumper warranty.
It also is the only compressor that I have ever seen that give's ACFM [actual cu ft min] IE Not a lab test in a white room.

The other's claim XYZ, but just like the HP with Campbell Hausfeld don't believe it. No way to check it for the average person.

Sorry the 1st pix is not supposed to be there and could not edit it out with Mozilla FireFox.

Greg Koch
07-20-2006, 8:45 PM
Bobby,

"there has been referance to one fellow having gone thru 5 compressor's, each getting a little bigger." Yep, we have all upgraded tools if and when our needs change.

"The one I have now would be overkill for some." Happens..

"I run a lot of air tool's on diffrent project's. Air grinder's DA sander's and air file's which consume mass quanities of air. I will not want for air with this setup. A blast cabinet may be a future tool." All I saw in the poster's message was about a spray gun...

If we bought everything based on what we thought we might need/like 5 ~ 10 years from now...some of us would be in debt up to our ears. If we waited until we could afford the biggest/baddest tool, we might never get anything done and then lose interest.

My point is the poster might not need or want, an expensive, large compressor right now..... Or a $1,000, 3hp, 220V 500lb cabinet saw, or a used one and rebuild it, etc....when they are just getting interested/started in woodworking. There are some nice, reasonably priced, quality tools available that will fill the needs now and in the future, or an upgrade can be done if necessary. Buying good quality, reasonably priced, tools in the beginning is not always flushing money down the crapper.

John Shuk
07-20-2006, 9:01 PM
I'd avoid HF. I recently bought a small 1 inch belt sander from them. I got it home and used it for about 10 minutes and the bearings started screaming. I put it back in the box and sent it back to the store with my brother for a refund. It was JUNK. You may not need to go with Ingersol Rand (which I think is about 2 heads above most others) but I'd get some sort of name with a warranty.

Julio Navarro
07-20-2006, 11:57 PM
Hey Bobby, whgat is that a picture of next to the compressor picture, and why service it hourly?

Joe Scarfo
07-21-2006, 12:22 AM
Greg,

Good luck w/ the choices you make...

If I was buying a compressor, I would consider harbor frieght, if you're looking for hobby use.

Avoid Chicago Electric brand... they do have something else.. I can't remember the brand. I would buy one. At one time, I seem to recall seeing Puma brand there.

Although the store usually has junk, they do have gems come up from time to time.

Joe in Green Bay

Don Morris
07-21-2006, 2:15 AM
I too bought a Sears 2hp (220v) 20gal compressor about 20 years ago and it also has painted houses renovated a couple cars, runs all my hobbiest guns, nailers, a cambell hausfeld tool or two, etc. I took it to Sears a few years back for a general renovation but only recently added a more portable DeWalt 4gal dual canister type because I can't haul the "beast" everywhere I want. Getting too old for that. Even the DeWalt is marginal as being "portable" but does run all my guns and nailers. And I can take it over to my sons when he needs it. He doesn't have the space for a shop like I do. I only have marginal envy for a larger unit than my 20gal. I would really have to be a full time woodworking pro. If that were the case, then absolutely, the bigger the better. But only then.

tod evans
07-21-2006, 7:54 AM
Hey Bobby, whgat is that a picture of next to the compressor picture, and why service it hourly?

julio, i`m certain that the hour meter on bobbys compressor is there to let him know when it`s run for "x" amount of hours. depending on what oil he`s running he`ll probably change it every 2-500 hrs. of actual run time.

bobby, nice unit! i too run a substantial amount of air tools, in fact i`ve gone to 2 80 gal 4 cylinder 2-stage units about 10 years ago. the second unit only kicks on when i drag the primary unit down but if i`m running stuff i`ll work both of `em.......02 tod

Greg Caputo
07-21-2006, 11:39 AM
Thanks to all for great information and advice! I'm going to take something from all the posts: buy something larger than I think I need right now and buy from a more recognized tool dealer.

I really appreciate the help.
Greg

Bobby Wartman
07-21-2006, 2:11 PM
Tod is correct. Oil chamge every 200hrs.

That 1st pix is a tranducer I installed flush mounted in the hull of my boat.

If you want to see more look here, but you better get something to drink before you sit down. It will take a while to go thru all the pages .:D

http://www.classicmako.com/projects/xshark/

Raymond Overman
07-21-2006, 3:00 PM
I just bought a 6 gal / 135 PSI Husky at the Orange Box Store for $159 (reg $199). It had air tools with it including a staple gun, an air chisel, a general purpose spray gun, and some other pieces. Not bad I think for a small shop/portable compressor.

I don't have the real estate or the need for the large tank models though.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-21-2006, 4:15 PM
I don't believe you have to always buy a "Hummer" in order to tow a trailer..

I Concur completely.

To tow anything including a kayak or lawn leaves:
Get an F 350 Diesel with a 4WD and a 4:11 detroit locker rear end, toss the factory exhausts install Bully Dog 6" exhausts and the Bully Dog Power Pup, then add a Propane injector with nitrous and you may just have 'er tweaked about right.
Don't forget to Dyno.

Greg Koch
07-21-2006, 4:54 PM
I Concur completely.

To tow anything including a kayak or lawn leaves:
Get an F 350 Diesel with a 4WD and a 4:11 detroit locker rear end, toss the factory exhausts install Bully Dog 6" exhausts and the Bully Dog Power Pup, then add a Propane injector with nitrous and you may just have 'er tweaked about right.
Don't forget to Dyno.

Oh, and keep buying lottery tickets...you might be able to afford to fix it when it goes ...BOOM... or the tickets you get from smokin' those big 3' tall "grippers".... forget the trailer, too much fun in the bed...

sheesh! BWahahahaha

tod evans
07-21-2006, 5:16 PM
Thanks to all for great information and advice! I'm going to take something from all the posts: buy something larger than I think I need right now and buy from a more recognized tool dealer.

I really appreciate the help.
Greg

greg, most folks working in their garage will be well served by a name brand (not campbell h. or ridgid!) construction compressor, single stage 2-cylinder pump, oil bath, 18-22gal tank. if you decide after a while that you like air tools you`ll be able to get most of your money back out of a name brand when you upgrade. if you don`t upgrade you`ll still have a good, stash under the bench, last for a long time unit...02 tod