PDA

View Full Version : John Milunias ???

Bill White
07-20-2006, 12:08 PM
John, I may have missed some thing. I noticed your hand bandaged in one of your posts. What happened? Just concerned.
Bill :confused:

Bill White
07-20-2006, 12:10 PM
About the spelling of your name.
Bill

larry merlau
07-20-2006, 12:47 PM
he as you already know he talks alot and posts alot too:D he also has a desire to make things by hand thus wearing out the wrist at an ealry age.. he had a tendon repaired and is doing fine now.. but i am sure he will tell you the rest later just had to get him while he was down:D

Bob Noles
07-20-2006, 2:11 PM
About the spelling of your name.
Bill

Bill,

John Mi "luni" is the proper spelling I believe :D

Ya gotta be a little "luni" to moderate the turner's forum :eek:

Hey John... sorry, but I had to get you while you were down also :p

Tyler Howell
07-20-2006, 2:25 PM
Had his fingers where they didn't belong:rolleyes: :D

Vaughn McMillan
07-20-2006, 3:18 PM
The hushed truth is that he slipped while oil wrestling with Tyler and landed wrong on the wrist. I think that's all of that picture that needs to be painted. :eek: :p :D

- Vaughn

John Miliunas
07-20-2006, 4:10 PM
Oh, you guys are a riot!!! Yeah, I know...You're here all week. Shows at 8:00 & 10:00, right??? :rolleyes: :D (Although Bob is pretty right about the "luni" part!:rolleyes: ) LOML said it's because I've always got my thumb up my...Well, you know. And then I sat down!:eek:

Bill, in all seriousness, it was surgery for something they call, "Basal Thumb Arthritis". Basically, the cartilage where your very first thumb joint meets the wrist, gets diseased and disintegrates. Then it goes to bone on bone, with the added "feature" of the damaged bone then re-calcifying and creating "spurs". The pain goes from sometimes, to often, to a lot of it, to downright excruciating. Typically, if you have it in one thumb, there's a good chance you have it (at some stage) in the other, as well. Also typical, though a bit strange, I think, the rest of the joints on the hands are just fine! :) There are a couple different surgeries to correct this. In my case, my surgeon chooses to keep things "natural". They cut open the joint and hack/cut/scrape the "bad" bones. Then, they cut a chunk of tendon out from a bit further up from your wrist, make into kind of a coil and install that in between the two bones. Kind of like a shock absorber. I had my left hand done last year, and although full recovery is rather lengthy, I've got almost 100% range of motion on it and real good strength. In the meantime, my right hand had gotten to the point of intolerable and, given the positive results of the other one, I chose to get the right done this year, as well. The doc said this one had gotten a *lot* worse over the year and took about twice as much work to rebuild it. BUT, I'm looking forward to positive results from this one and getting back to a "normal" quality of life.

Thanks for asking and sorry if it was a LOT more info than you were looking for! Consider it a "public service announcement" if someone else out there may be experiencing pain in the base of your thumb(s)! :D :cool:

Jerry Olexa
07-20-2006, 5:52 PM
Truth is a young lady injured him recently as part of the lathe swaps when he got too aggressive (see other thread in Turners section). Only kidding, John, HEAL well!!!

Gary Herrmann
07-20-2006, 8:58 PM
Joint damage ain't fun. Hope you heal quickly and completely John.

Joe Mioux
07-20-2006, 9:47 PM
Oh, you guys are a riot!!! Yeah, I know...You're here all week. Shows at 8:00 & 10:00, right??? :rolleyes: :D (Although Bob is pretty right about the "luni" part!:rolleyes: ) LOML said it's because I've always got my thumb up my...Well, you know. And then I sat down!:eek:

Bill, in all seriousness, it was surgery for something they call, "Basal Thumb Arthritis". Basically, the cartilage where your very first thumb joint meets the wrist, gets diseased and disintegrates. Then it goes to bone on bone, with the added "feature" of the damaged bone then re-calcifying and creating "spurs". The pain goes from sometimes, to often, to a lot of it, to downright excruciating. Typically, if you have it in one thumb, there's a good chance you have it (at some stage) in the other, as well. Also typical, though a bit strange, I think, the rest of the joints on the hands are just fine! :) There are a couple different surgeries to correct this. In my case, my surgeon chooses to keep things "natural". They cut open the joint and hack/cut/scrape the "bad" bones. Then, they cut a chunk of tendon out from a bit further up from your wrist, make into kind of a coil and install that in between the two bones. Kind of like a shock absorber. I had my left hand done last year, and although full recovery is rather lengthy, I've got almost 100% range of motion on it and real good strength. In the meantime, my right hand had gotten to the point of intolerable and, given the positive results of the other one, I chose to get the right done this year, as well. The doc said this one had gotten a *lot* worse over the year and took about twice as much work to rebuild it. BUT, I'm looking forward to positive results from this one and getting back to a "normal" quality of life.

Thanks for asking and sorry if it was a LOT more info than you were looking for! Consider it a "public service announcement" if someone else out there may be experiencing pain in the base of your thumb(s)! :D :cool:

Hey John....

How long did it take you to type this post?:)

Hope you quickly heal!

Joe

John Miliunas
07-20-2006, 9:52 PM
Hey John....

How long did it take you to type this post?:)

Hope you quickly heal!

Joe

Joe, believe it or not, just a few minutes! I can still type at close to my regular pace, although I do all the spacebar hits with my left hand now and, on occassion, the cast around my thumb hits an erant key. :rolleyes: I do touch-type so, with my other fingers still free to move, it's not that bad. The above diatribe is about as long as I can stand to type at one sitting, though, as it does hurt a bit. But, gettin' better every day!:)

Thanks again for the support, guys! :) :cool:

larry merlau
07-21-2006, 7:33 AM
he almost a hundred percnt now,, typing almost as fast as he talks. and giviin us way more than we asked for. he just a generous guy.. and jerry if he got injured from that gal at the falls ,, i think it was worth it:D

Dan Forman
07-22-2006, 5:04 AM
John---Glad to hear you are on the mend, hope this one turns out as well as the previous, though the wait can't be much fun.

Dan

Dale Thompson
07-23-2006, 7:35 PM
The hushed truth is that he slipped while oil wrestling with Tyler and landed wrong on the wrist. I think that's all of that picture that needs to be painted.
- Vaughn

Vaughn,
I heard the same story so it must be true. :( Fortunately, neither of them lost their thongs. :o The "Chastity Thongs" that I invented must be working! :cool: We can all thank our lucky stars for that. ;) Please don't beg. :rolleyes: The lock combinations are on the latest Voyager rocket headed for Uranus. :D If it doesn't crash, we may get some pictures back! EGADS!! ;) :)

Dale T.

Frank Chaffee
07-23-2006, 8:15 PM
Sure Pesh,
Come in on the end of a thread whilst still in the middle of your summer retreat, and talk smart, none the less!

As to your less than subtle allusions to you-know-what, please know that during your absence the Creek has become, once again, a respecticle event for households around the entire Earth!

But on another note my dear friend, will you please PM me with a phone number where I can contact you sometime over the next couple weeks? I really need to talk to you soon.

Thanks,
Your Libber Friend,
Arena

John Miliunas
07-23-2006, 8:42 PM
. ;) Please don't beg. :rolleyes: The lock combinations are on the latest Voyager rocket headed for Uranus. :D If it doesn't crash, we may get some pictures back! EGADS!! ;) :)

Dale T.

Hey, watch it there, buddy!!! I got my hard cast on now and as soon as I figure out the damn combination to this here Chastity Thong, I'm comin' over there and show you what it feels like to be bonked upside the head with one 'o these casts!!!! :mad: :D (Hey, nice hearin' from you again. I think....:p ):D :cool:

Bart Leetch
07-23-2006, 10:34 PM
Good to see you still have you sense of humor John.

At least you don't have to turn an El' Kabonger you've got a built on one.:D :D :D :eek: