PDA

View Full Version : What is the purpose of.....

Kevin Blunt
07-20-2006, 11:36 AM
The corrugated sole on a plane? Is it to reduce drag? Does it help keep the sole flat? Any replies appreciated.

Kevin

Ken Werner
07-20-2006, 11:39 AM
There are a lot of possible answers to that question.
It can reduce the suction between a flat sole and a board, reducing drag. It can make a sole easier to flatten because you are removing less material. It can be a marketing scam. I dunno. I have planes with both flat and corrugated soles. Not sure I really feel a difference in use.

Should be some interesting answers to come.

Ken

Mike Henderson
07-20-2006, 11:47 AM
I have a number of planes with corrugated soles and I can't feel the difference when using them compared to smooth sole planes. I read that the marketing hype (back when the planes were new) was that it reduced the friction with the board, but IMO that's not the major force requirement when using the plane - the cutting requires most of the force.

That said, I like the look of corrugated planes.

Mike

Mike Wenzloff
07-20-2006, 12:06 PM
Hi Kevin--all the above, really. The friction thing has been explained that its coefficient is not dependent on surface area, so at least scientifically that is a moot point.

If I am prepping a rough board, leveling one face which will then most likely go through a planer [if I take the time to drag it out] or the drum sander [most likely over the planer unless it is really twisted], I find the corrugated sole on my #5 and or #6 useful.

I think on green, wet wood, it might be also beneficial--but it's been a long, long time since I roughed riven boards for stacking and really cannot remember if there was a difference.

Whether hype or not, I believe my corrugated planes require less waxing of the soles. But whether that is due to the seasoned status of the soles or not, I don't know.

They can be problematic when edge jointing, especially stock less than 3/4".

Take care, Mike

tod evans
07-20-2006, 12:21 PM
kevin,
stanley taunted theirs as being easier to work resinous wood with? personally i think they are to increase value to collectors, try to find a type 2-3 602-c or a 10 1/4-c you`ll see what i mean:rolleyes: ...02 tod

Jake Darvall
07-21-2006, 7:59 AM
Seems to be nothing bad about the idea......but nothing fantastic either. I agree its definetly a collectors thing.

Some designers attempt at being different at least, I guess.

I've got a no.6 Stanley thats corrigated. Naturally, that is......big rust pits all over it..:D ......A beauty. Flatterned quickly. less suction for shore....have to be one of the best performing planes I have.

So, if you want corrigations, just leave you planes out in the rain one day. Same thing :p

Kevin Blunt
07-21-2006, 9:20 AM
Thanks for the responses guys.

Kevin:)