PDA

View Full Version : Fids

John Timberlake
07-20-2006, 10:05 AM
No, not fibs. Fids. These are tools used to spread twisted rope so they can be braided into loops, etc. Some of the guys I do re-enacting with are portraying sailors who have become soldiers and want to outfit themselves with some remnants of their sailing days. These are made from ash.

Andy Hoyt
07-20-2006, 11:11 AM
Cool, John. But I always thought those things were called "marlinespikes"

Ken Fitzgerald
07-20-2006, 11:17 AM
Andy..........My father was a Chief Boatswainmate............a fid is the wooden version of a marlinspike. My Dad had me tying monkeypaws and turksheads, sheepbends and several different bowlines before I was 8 years old. He had a business splicing steel cable on two different occasions.

John Timberlake
07-20-2006, 11:52 AM
Here is a reference to making wooden fids. I put a handle on mine.

http://www.ropeworks.biz/reader/fid.pdf

Dick Parr
07-20-2006, 12:24 PM
Great job John, bet your friends are going to love them.

Carl Eyman
07-20-2006, 12:26 PM
:D Dare I say "finally, someone has found a practical use for a lathe"? NO, I don't dare say it; so consider it unsaid.

Cecil Arnold
07-20-2006, 12:34 PM
Careful Carl, you should know what happens to guys who come into the turner's forum making derisive remarks. Just ask Tyler and Frank.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-20-2006, 2:02 PM
They look good, John. Your reenactment buddies ought to love them.

Joe Fisher
07-20-2006, 2:10 PM
Fids?!? Never heard of 'em ;)

http://www.fisherwoodcraft.com/images/fids.jpg

I like the ash. Very nice!

-Joe

Tyler Howell
07-20-2006, 2:13 PM
:D Dare I say "finally, someone has found a practical use for a lathe"? NO, I don't dare say it; so consider it unsaid.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I was going to say the same thing...... but I'm abysserated now:o :D .
Now your talking. Made many a back, eye, and inline splices in the past 15 years. Sailors love the turks head on their ships wheel. Keep real busy during the season and off.
Had many a ships wheel in my living room, best place to do that kind of work is in front of the tube.:D
Fids are made of metal too. I think to be a marline spike it has to be slightly curved and sharp:confused:
I may have to fire up that little Jet real soon.;)

Frank Chaffee
07-20-2006, 5:09 PM
Fie Fi Fid Fum…

I like knotwork too!

Nice work John!

Frank

Don Baer
07-20-2006, 7:54 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I was going to say the same thing...... but I'm abysserated now:o :D .
Now your talking. Made many a back, eye, and inline splices in the past 15 years. Sailors love the turks head on their ships wheel. Keep real busy during the season and off.
Had many a ships wheel in my living room, best place to do that kind of work is in front of the tube.:D
Fids are made of metal too. I think to be a marline spike it has to be slightly curved and sharp:confused:
I may have to fire up that little Jet real soon.;)

Tyler,
Your bonker can look like a fid..;)

Ken Garlock
07-20-2006, 8:41 PM
Looks to me like a set of Bonkers for dwarfs.:)

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-21-2006, 6:45 PM
Naw, Ken, a dwarven bonker would be roughly the size of a major league baseball bat. Remember: Dwarves wield double-headed battle axes that are twice as tall as they are. :)