PDA

View Full Version : Saws, space and money...

Rob Wilkins
07-20-2006, 5:04 AM
It's my first post here - so hi! - although I should say thanks for a few bits of info I already got from here as an occasional lurker. Now, I have a question I'd really like answered.

The issue is to do with saws, space and money, in that I need one of the former, I've got none of the second and too little of the third. I'm doing woodturning, but I'm living in a little apartment, which means that I carry the lathe outside and set it up there on an old bookshelf (which is sitting on a step, and remarkably both the right height and 100% stable for working!). I'm enjoying it, on those days when I haven't put my back out carrying the lathe anyway.

Now, I'm trying to work with fairly small pieces that vary in length, but I just can't find the blanks I want in the right sizes - usually, that means exotic hardwoods, no more than an inch wide, ideally 3/4 or 5/8 actually, and up to 9" in length. Pen blanks are okay for some work, but not all of it, and that leaves the option of buying bigger pieces of wood, then cutting it down to size. About the smallest useful size of piece I can find so far would be 1.5" thick, perhaps 2", by between 15" to two feet long, depending.

(Unless someone knows a place that sells exotic woods in unusual sizes, of course...?)

So - basically, I'm looking for something that might be able to cut a piece of wood - possibly no more than 2" thick - while not taking up too much space, not running too much of a risk of putting out my back (the lathe does that nicely, thanks), not requiring any kind of fixed stand - since I don't have one, or anywhere to put one if I did - and not running too much risk of me losing important body parts while using it. And, if at all possible, not needing a small mortgage to afford it would be a plus, too...

Not that I'm picky, you understand. Anyway - I'll use a handsaw if I have to, as I can definitely afford it and it'll work, but Lord knows I'd rather use something a little swifter...

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-20-2006, 5:17 AM
Hi Rob!!!

Welcome to the Creek, glad to see you have jumped in!

I think you need a smaller bandsaw. With a good blade, tuned up, I think this will fit your bill.

I cannot recommend a brand or model, as I'm in Japan, and things are different here.

I've seen them made from aluminium and plastic, sure they would not handle BIG TIME cutting, but I don't think that is what you are after.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Vaughn McMillan
07-20-2006, 5:34 AM
Hi Rob, and welcome to the Creek. I'm sure you'll get a lot of different opinions on your question. I'll toss my suggestions out there then go grab a bowl of ice ceam and sit back and watch the fun begin. ;)

Two options that seem to fit your critera are a benchtop bandsaw, or a guided circular saw system.

I used to have a little $100 cheapie benchtop bandsaw that I got from Lowe's, and although it wasn't remarkably accurate or powerful, it could chew its way through the types of cuts you're mentioning, especially if you didn't need perfect cuts. (I'm assuming all you're cutting are turning blanks, and not finished surfaces.) You can buy a better-quality bandsaw in this size (like the Rikon 10") for about $150. You could carry it easily to your outdoor workshop.

The other option -- something like the EZ-Smart or Festool systems -- would cost quite a bit more than $100, but would potentially be useful for other projects in the future, should you decide to expand your woodworking repertoire. I have no personal experience with either of these guided saw systems, and don't know how practical they are for cutting small pieces of wood into smaller pieces of wood, but I know they can do so, and do it accurately. I'll let someone who actually has one of these systems chime in about how easy or difficult it is to work with small stock.

I guess a viable third option would be one you already mentioned...a handsaw. I'm a power tool kind of guy, but sometimes lately I'll grab a handsaw for some cuts because it can be quicker than setting up either the table saw or the bandsaw. I wouldn't try a relatively long (12" to 18") rip cut with any of my current (low-end) handsaws, but the folks in the Neanderthal Forum could surely steer you in the direction of a high-quality rip saw that would do cuts like that relatively easily. Those guys rip 8' long boards just for sport. ;) A good handsaw and some type of clamping bench (like a Workmate), and there's not much you couldn't do if you're creative. Easy to lug out to the "shop", too.

I hope this helps, and again, welcome.

- Vaughn

Rick Thom
07-20-2006, 6:36 AM
Rob, having the tools yourself to do the job is convenient, especially if you have the space to store them, use them and of course $ to buy them etc. If you know anyone with the tools who would cut what you need for a modest charge, is that an option?

Ian Abraham
07-20-2006, 6:47 AM
Yeah.. a benchtop bandsaw will do the job.

My cheapy taiwan model will handle 2" timber OK if I take it easy.

Pretty accurate if you are carefull when cutting.

And light enough to haul out of a cupboard and set on a portable bench.

If you need to break down bigger boards then a circle saw and a straight edge (or an Ezy Smart ) is an option. But if you are getting your wood in handy sizes then the little Bandsaw will work

Cheers

Ian

scott spencer
07-20-2006, 7:00 AM
Hi Rob, welcome to SMC! A small BS sounds like a decent choice. The Craftsman 21400 is pretty similar to the Rikon but it has a cast iron top and includes a fence for about the same price.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Bench+Power+Tools&pid=00921400000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Band+Saws&BV_SessionID=@@@@1489623230.1153392178@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccifaddifliihldcegecegjdghldgfm.0

Art Mulder
07-20-2006, 7:06 AM
Hey, Rob, welcome to SMC.

Are you talking crosscutting or ripping? If you just want to cut a bit off of the end of a board, then by all means get yourself a decent handsaw. it doesn't take that long to cut through a board! Something like a B+D Workmate will do nicely for a temporary work stand, and fold up when away.

If you want a power tool, then I'd suggest a nice jigsaw. With an extra-long blade, you'll get through thick stock. Can't beat the portability, and it's a tool that you'll definitely use over the years. It's always handing to have around.

Now, if you were really talking of rip cuts... that's more challenging. You certainly can rip-cut with a handsaw, but it takes a bit of effort. Visit our friends over in the Neanderthal sub-forum and they'll probably be able to help you with that.

best,
...art

Matt Warfield
07-20-2006, 7:28 AM
And yet another opinion... :)

You may want to look at hand saws as well. They would fit the space and budget requirements in most instances. Many online retailers of exotics will cut down stock for your needs but you'll be paying for their time and the sawdust. Using a hand saw for the crosscut would be an easy matter. I'm still learning how to rip a board with a hand saw so I cannot confidently recommend that. :rolleyes:

Matt

Per Swenson
07-20-2006, 7:39 AM
Hello Rob,

And welcome.

Ever here of Proxxon? This is not a toy nor is it cheap.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=4905

Here is a company that has all kinds of small stuff,

http://www.micromark.com/

You can never have enough space.

Per

Burt Waddell
07-20-2006, 8:35 AM
As someone said, the guided systems would be very nice for this. I personally prefer the EZ Smart. Here are a few links.

http://eurekazone.com/gallery/trimming-narrow-and-small-pieces/DWC_2 (http://eurekazone.com/gallery/trimming-narrow-and-small-pieces/DWC_2)

http://eurekazone.com/gallery/trimming-narrow-and-small-pieces/DWC_2D (http://eurekazone.com/gallery/trimming-narrow-and-small-pieces/DWC_2D)

http://eurekazone.com/gallery/trimming-narrow-and-small-pieces/DWC_2E_001 (http://eurekazone.com/gallery/trimming-narrow-and-small-pieces/DWC_2E_001)

The minimum system could be as light as 5lbs, no support or table needed, 2 feet rail and a smart clamping system.
Total cost $100.00 plus a circular saw. There are numerous ways a system could be set up to meet your needs.

tod evans
07-20-2006, 8:38 AM
welcome rob! how `bout a plain ol` jig saw, less than 5#s and depending on blade choice should cut up to 3" no problem and will cut curves...02 tod

Tom Jones III
07-20-2006, 8:59 AM
If you are trying to make pen blanks I don't see how a circular saw is going to be safe when you have a 1.5"x6" board that you want to rip in half. I'll second the jig saw but with the idea of clamping the jig saw upside down and use it like a band saw for the smallest pieces.

Mike Wilkins
07-20-2006, 9:09 AM
With limited space, you cannot go wrong with one of the bench top bandsaws on the market. My vote goes to the Rikon bandsaw; it is a little brother to the floorstanding model and has gotten great reviews. It looks like one of the big Italian machines, just not grown up.
There are lots of wood butchers who use nothing but a bandsaw for all their solid wood cuts, ripping and cross cutting. And it is the best saw for cutting turning blanks.
Visit your local Woodcraft who is the dealer for the Rikon.

Ian Barley
07-20-2006, 10:09 AM
Another vote for a bandsaw here. Reading your post you seem to be talking about converting smallish lengths of wood (up to 24" or so) into small pieces of wood (9" or less). Did I read that right? If so then I think that it will be more combersome to achieve your result with any guided rail system and a table saw is gonna be overkill. A small bandsaw is probably easier to port (weight distribution) than a small TS. I would just recommend that you choose one where the throat cacity of the BS allows you to cut the 9" on either side of the blade.

Peter Pedisich
07-20-2006, 10:19 AM
Hoe about one of these? Lee Valley has them.

Jim Becker
07-20-2006, 10:23 AM
Yup...my vote would also follow to a smaller, "portable" bandsaw for your application if I'm understanding it correctly. Two wheel, however...avoid a three-wheel bandsaw like the plague. Something in the 10" range should be able to do what you intend and not be more heavy than your lathe.

Ron Jones near Indy
07-20-2006, 12:31 PM
I also recommend a small band saw. $100 will get you going. Like Jim said, avoid the 3 wheel units. A good, sharp blade will be necessary for optimum used of the band saw.

Chuck Trisdale
07-20-2006, 12:33 PM
I had a little 9 inch Ryobi for a few years that will cut up to about 3.5 inches high. I think it was about 85 bucks when I got it. I would just get something in that price range for your application. Now when you get a garage or shop .. come back and ask the same question :D

Rob Wilkins
07-20-2006, 2:25 PM
So many good replies, so quickly!

I think it looks like a bandsaw would be the way to go here; I may have to wait a little (little money = no money right now, but a little time'll fix that one) but I think I'll look up one of the 2-wheel bandsaws in this kind of range.

I'm floored by how helpful you guys are - thanks a lot!

07-20-2006, 2:49 PM
Yep, great bunch here for sure.

Looks around, E-bay, or other spots for a used one, lots of guys start with one of those, and then upgrade.

One other thing about the small bandsaw over a circular saw, or a table saw, it is much quieter.

Cheers!

Oh yeah, pictures, we like them, show us a pic of your lathe set up! :D

Vaughn McMillan
07-20-2006, 3:14 PM
So many good replies, so quickly!

I think it looks like a bandsaw would be the way to go here; I may have to wait a little (little money = no money right now, but a little time'll fix that one) but I think I'll look up one of the 2-wheel bandsaws in this kind of range.

I'm floored by how helpful you guys are - thanks a lot!
Too bad you didn't ask this question last winter...I gave my little benchtop bandsaw away when I bought my bigger saw. I could have made you a sweet deal that would have fit your budget. ;) Ah well, too late on that one, but I'm sure you'll find one that'll work well for your needs.

- Vaughn

Julio Navarro
07-20-2006, 3:26 PM
Rob, if all you need are peices cut to those sizes, you can send me the stock with instructions and I'll cut you a years supply of turning stock.
would only cost you the price of postage. Maybe even purchase the wood form (@#*bay) and have it sent to me and I'll send you back the cut pieces in the mail.

By the way, I like your style. I cant think of anything more enjoyable than to sit on the back stoop on a nice day and just turn wood.

Good luck how ever you decide to go.

Rob Wilkins
07-20-2006, 6:50 PM

I'll have to snap one next time I take it out - right now, it's too hot outside for me, but I'll get one soon!

Ken Werner
07-20-2006, 7:17 PM
Rob, if all you need are peices cut to those sizes, you can send me the stock with instructions and I'll cut you a years supply of turning stock.
would only cost you the price of postage. Maybe even purchase the wood form (@#*bay) and have it sent to me and I'll send you back the cut pieces in the mail.

By the way, I like your style. I cant think of anything more enjoyable than to sit on the back stoop on a nice day and just turn wood.

Julio, your solution is definitely thinking outside the box. Cool!

Ken

Bob Noles
07-20-2006, 7:21 PM
Rob,

First.... a big ole Creeker welcome on ya.

Second.... If I were allowed only one saw for my shop, it would have to be the bandsaw. They can handle most any task in WW with innovative thinking applied.

Steven Evans
07-20-2006, 7:52 PM
The bandsaw would of coarse work for you. If you are in a small apt and out of space you may want to consider a high quality hand saw. I have all kinds of power tools and equipment but I have recently began working on my hand tool skills and knowledge. I am amazed what a high quality, sharp tool will do. Mind you not something from the big box store.
PS: Warning you may wind up spending more money than a table bandsaw.

Don Baer
07-20-2006, 8:07 PM
Yep, great bunch here for sure.

Looks around, E-bay, or other spots for a used one, lots of guys start with one of those, and then upgrade.

One other thing about the small bandsaw over a circular saw, or a table saw, it is much quieter.

Cheers!

Also go to Craigslist.com for your area and search under tools. I'm sure you can find something that will work and be inexpensive.

skip coyne
07-20-2006, 8:27 PM
check and see if they have a Habitat for humanity resale shop in your area .

http://www.habitat.org/env/restore.aspx

I bought my tablesaw there for 75 (old 10' delta ) and my bandsaw was 40.(12 craftsman)

Rob Wilkins
07-20-2006, 9:48 PM

Another guy here actually offered to do much the same thing for me, and I took him up on it already. It's amazing how much support you get here!

And yeah, it's really nice to be able to go outside and turn, but sometimes I wish I had somewhere indoors to work that wasn't so dependent on the weather and the light. Having both options would probably be ideal.

Rick Gibson
07-20-2006, 10:01 PM
Living in an apartment and considering what you want to cut I would go for the bench top band saw. They make much less noise than either a jig saw or a small portable table saw and for an apartment that could be a major consideration. With a good blade (the ones that come with them are usually junk) it will do exactly what you want. Decent blades can be had in the $20 - $30 range.

Joseph N. Myers
07-20-2006, 10:11 PM
Rob,

A bandsaw would do the job especially if you can use it for other tasks that you plan on doing. If a bandsaw, look into some of the homemade jigs they have for cutting narrow pieces and the likes.

If you have a right blade circular saw, you may want to consider a guide saw, in particular, the EZ System. A couple of people said that using a guide saw "probably" wouldn't work that well. I however, find myself using the EZ System for those small cuts. And I have all the "other" tools, i.e., bandsaw, table saw, chop saw, jointer, planer, etc.

Timing is good. Someone I know wanted some pen blanks made out of some teak I have, 1-1/2" x 10". After reading your post this morning, I went out to the garage and setup the EZ System to do the cuts (can get 4 out of them, a little under 3/4" x 5"). Really quite simple, fast and accurate.

The first 2 pictures are the underside of the EZ guide rail with a block of wood that acts as a stop and the wood to be ripped butted against the stop. (The clamps that I'm using are the standard Smart Clamps. The recommended clamps are the "Smart Clamping System" which are made expecailly for cutting narrow pieces).

43157 43158

The remaining pictures are of the guide right-side-up, the circular saw on the guide ready to cut and finally, piece cut widthwise. I'll use my SCMS to cut them to length.

43159 43160

You may also want to check out "Cutting Small Pieces".
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32440

Again, a bandsaw would do the job and can be used for many other tasks. By the same token, a guide rail system can also be used for other tasks. And if one were to decide on the EZ System, there are many other attachments that can be made/purchase to make the unit even more useful.

Good luck on whatever you decide on, Joe

Burt Waddell
07-21-2006, 8:35 AM
Joe,

Very nice post

Burt

Ian Barley
07-21-2006, 1:27 PM
Joseph

Interesting post. I assume that my thoughts are among those being described as misinformation elsewhere but can assure that they were not intended as such. You clearly have rail lengths scaled to make short lengths like this more manageable. Out of interest, would you use the same technique if you needed to shorten the resulting blanks from 10" to 8"? I think that my doubts were more centred around the issue of crosscutting a 2" width than ripping a 10" length.

tod evans
07-21-2006, 1:50 PM
So - basically, I'm looking for something that might be able to cut a piece of wood - possibly no more than 2" thick - while not taking up too much space, not running too much of a risk of putting out my back (the lathe does that nicely, thanks), not requiring any kind of fixed stand - since I don't have one, or anywhere to put one if I did - and not running too much risk of me losing important body parts while using it. And, if at all possible, not needing a small mortgage to afford it would be a plus, too...

after reading all the responses i still think a jig saw is the ticket for rob, besides being smaller than a bandsaw and in the same ballpark money wise, he`d be able to get a good tool like the bosch that he wouldn`t be looking to replace in short order. blades for a jigsaw are cheaper than a bandsaw and the kerf is similar. the guided saw systems fall short by being both cost and space inefficient as perscribed by rob, in fact the small bandsaw may prove space inefficient? for turning, the cut obtained freehand with a jigsaw is suitable for chuckin` up, there`s no need for perfectly straight or making jigs to get perfectly square ends. and if for some reason rob decides to "sell-out" he could recover most of his money from a good jigsaw.....not so with a generic bandsaw...02 tod

Tom Jones III
07-21-2006, 2:14 PM
after reading all the responses i still think a jig saw is the ticket for rob,

I'm right there with you Tod and for all the reasons that you cite. Too many times I have knowingly bought an inferior tool just to get by and then regretted it later.

Burt Waddell
07-21-2006, 4:06 PM
Joseph

Interesting post. I assume that my thoughts are among those being described as misinformation elsewhere but can assure that they were not intended as such. You clearly have rail lengths scaled to make short lengths like this more manageable. Out of interest, would you use the same technique if you needed to shorten the resulting blanks from 10" to 8"? I think that my doubts were more centred around the issue of crosscutting a 2" width than ripping a 10" length.

Ian,

Cross cutting with the EZ Smart would be Easy. I'd use the EZ Square and position it as either a fence or a square. You can also use a smart clamp to hold the piece for the crosscut.

Rob Wilkins
07-21-2006, 4:11 PM
So a jig saw maybe, then? It sounds like it'd be less trouble to lug back and forth, which is definitely a good thing.

Anyway, I did finally get a chance to snap a shot of the set up when I went out to turn this morning :

http://www.swimmingwithmothra.com/images/lhc/LatheSetup.jpg

The old bookshelf works well for me to pile things on while I'm working, too, so it's not as bad as it might have been. The ziplock bag is full of the spare parts for the lathe.

It's not exactly the ideal environment, and I probably won't be able to turn anything for a couple of months in the winter, but for the time being it definitely does the job!

(This morning, of course, the weather was hot and humid while I was turning, then cooled down nicely after I had finished and swept off the steps. Typical.)

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-21-2006, 4:34 PM
saws, space and money, in that I need one of the former, I've got none of the second and too little of the third. I'm doing woodturning, but I'm living in a little apartment, which means that I carry [... oh my] [...]
no more than an inch wide, ideally 3/4 or 5/8 actually, and up to 9" in length. [...] bigger pieces of wood,[...] 1.5" thick, perhaps 2", by between 15" to two feet long [...].

A bow saw. I am dead serious. They are flexible lifhtweight and efficient. You can make your own or buy one. And you can put whatever tooth pitch on 'em you want. I think Tage Frid uses one in his "How to hand cut dovetails" video.

(Unless someone knows a place that sells exotic woods in unusual sizes, of course...?)

Constantines in NY they do mail order.
Just about any good luthier's supply.

07-21-2006, 10:17 PM
Hey Rob, thanks for the pic, that does look like a real nice place to turn!

Cheers!

Ian Abraham
07-22-2006, 2:57 AM
Yes.. I imagine it's rather nice sitting out there woodworking on a nice day :)

One thing no one mentioned is that if you go with a handsaw / jigsaw / EZ-smart option.. you dont have a workbench or vise. Maybe a B&D workmate portable bench would solve that, giving you a way to clamp the wood down while you saw it. Could be a handy thing to get anyway.. even if you just sit the little bandsaw on it :D

Cheers

Ian

Brian Clevenger
07-22-2006, 3:28 AM
Rob, you've got the spirit and the right idea. Enjoying woodworking isn't all about the tools you have, its about finding the tools that you meet your needs and let you make a product. My hat's off to ya.

On the point of recommending a saw, I'll stick with Tod and say a jigsaw. My friends always ask me what saw they should buy for 'round the house projects, and my answer has alway been the same. for versitility, portability, and longevity; there just isn't a better tool than a good jigsaw. Oh sure, I think a bandsaw would be handier for cutting blanks; but it is heavy to move around and is limited in its uses. A jigsaw, with the right blades, can go anywhere and cut through most anything. Back in the 90s, I repaired an entire cabin-cruiser boat with nothing but a jigsaw and a cordless drill. I had to replace the entire floor, build new cabinets for the seating, cut aluminum rails for replacements, and cut some rusted bolts. I got it all done with a jigsaw, and the results were top notch.

With that same advise, don't get a cheap jigsaw. If you can find one.... and I don't know the market in your area; Sears was clearing out thier version of the Bosch 1587 for about $50. It would be worth your time to see if you can find one, as it will be a tool that you will most likely never have to replace.

I also agree with a workmate, or a less expensive substitute. They are as handy as a pocket on a shirt.

I'm curious to see where this goes. It's one of my favorite posts in a long time.

Vaughn McMillan
07-22-2006, 3:49 AM
Rob, although I originally mentioned a bandsaw or guide rail system, I also agree that a good jigsaw could also fit your needs. Heck, I have a junky old B&D jigsaw that was a hand-me-down from my sister, and it's still handy for certain cuts. (I used it just last weekend.) A good jigsaw, like others have mentioned, would do the cuts you need now, and would likely last you forever.

Also, I see you're in the SoCal mountains. If you're anywhere near Tujunga, I'd be glad to cut some blanks up for you.

BTW, nice little lathe. I have the same model and it works surprisingly well...especially for the price. Be warned though, even though the Wilton is little, it'll still pull you into the Vortex, and you'll never get out. :eek: :D :p

- Vaughn

Rob Wilkins
07-22-2006, 4:04 AM
I've been really enjoying going outside and turning when the weather's warm - hot I can do without, though, as it's uncomfortable and it fogs up my goggles more. I give myself more back pains by trying to lean and see around the fog before I remember to wipe it off instead, too; I think I need to anti-fog them before I do myself an injury.

For the local stores; well, there's not much here on the mountain unless you need something urgently and are willing to pay for it, but one of my friends knows the lay of the land down the mountain a lot better than I do, and may know if there's a convenient Sears. The only place I know how to get to is a Home Depot, which'd at least have a better range of options than the mountain stores if we can't find anything else.

I'll look up workmates, too - Amazon seems to have a few available, ranging from $30 to $60, depending on size, but I might be able to find something better. Or maybe second hand, though I don't remember seeing one in the thrift stores around here.

Rob Wilkins
07-22-2006, 4:09 AM
Rob, although I originally mentioned a bandsaw or guide rail system, I also agree that a good jigsaw could also fit your needs. Heck, I have a junky old B&D jigsaw that was a hand-me-down from my sister, and it's still handy for certain cuts. (I used it just last weekend.) A good jigsaw, like others have mentioned, would do the cuts you need now, and would likely last you forever.

Also, I see you're in the SoCal mountains. If you're anywhere near Tujunga, I'd be glad to cut some blanks up for you.

BTW, nice little lathe. I have the same model and it works surprisingly well...especially for the price. Be warned though, even though the Wilton is little, it'll still pull you into the Vortex, and you'll never get out. :eek: :D :p

- Vaughn

Yeah, I actually picked up the Wilton after seeing it mentioned here a couple of months ago, and it's worked nicely for me so far! And yeah, I've heard about this Vortex. I think I'll probably throw myself into it willingly, once I can afford to - hopefully, I'll be able to resist bankrupting myself over it though...

Tujunga is around ninety to a hundred miles away from where I am - unless there's more than one Tujunga, of course... :-)

Rob Wilkins
07-27-2007, 3:09 PM
Well, coming back to this thread after a long time away - I had some very welcome help from the members here for a while, which allowed me to keep working until I found a solution - thanks for all the suggestions! Finally, I think I have something that'll work - though it's not exactly what I was expecting...

The first thing I tried out was a jigsaw, maybe nine months ago. Not the best one (Skil), but it was what I could afford at the time, and I thought it would help. I had a time trying to work out where to clamp pieces - ended up settling for clamping the piece onto the bottom of the deck outside - and in the end, although it wasn't the ideal set up, it sort of did the job. I was able to cut some extremely ragged, extremely messed-up looking pieces of wood, not much good for anything else, but good enough for spinning on a lathe.

A few weeks ago, though, a friend of mine was wandering around a hardware store and saw something that he thought might do the job - a table saw, intended for hobby work. He took a closer look at it, and said it was too poorly made to be reliable, so we gave up on that - but the idea of a table saw stuck in my head.

Now, I've never actually seen a table saw before - or at least, not seen one often enough or looked closely enough to remember how big the things are. So, after being told that this saw was a nice size (about so big, with hands held out) I thought "Hey, now there's a good idea," and set about trying to find a decent one. After reading a few reviews, I decided that the Delta ShopMaster - $49 from Amazon, plus $50 or so to ship it - would be a grand idea. I had the spare hundred by then, which I didn't have when I first posted this, so I figured I'd go for it.

Well, it works beautifully - we added a smooth-cutting blade to the ripping blade that came with it, and with a couple of very roughly made push-sticks, it's great for cutting down small stock into even smaller stock. You lose a little wood to the width of the blade, but not enough to write home about. The main niggle is, the saw is a LOT larger than I was expecting! What I'd been told about was something maybe eight to ten inches tall, with the profile size of a laptop - something I could conveniently sit on a shelf. Of course, now I realise that the saw he was talking about had a 4" blade, not a 10" one - this thing showed up in a large box, with the poor woman at the local post office having to haul it out of the back room through a side door.

Suffice to say, it will NOT sit conveniently on a shelf.

In fact, with our lack of space, storing it somewhere nice and out of the way is entirely out of the question - so it gets shut down, closed up and stood in a corner where we can put other things on top of it or underneath it, an effort to try and save space in a roundabout way.

The only other thing was, the box showed up beaten up and mangled, all bent out of shape as if an elephant had used it as a spot to rest while it was in transit. The parts were all in fine condition, but about half way through assembling it I realised half of the screws, bolts, washers and nuts were missing! I ended up making two trips to the hardware store (one, because I'd mis-counted the number of washers I was missing) to replace the parts - only cost me about $6 and an hour, which is a lot better than I'd get by trying to complain about the parts, I reckon.

Anyway - it's not quite what I'd planned on, but it DOES work beautifully. And it's big enough that I could probably use it for other projects, like cabinets or a bedframe - god knows we could do with a bedframe. The only thing is, I have no idea where I'd put it while I was making it...

Greg Crawford
07-27-2007, 3:22 PM
Rob,

I can't find it, but not too long ago I saw a post where the shop was in the bathroom of the apartment! If anyone knows who that was or can find the thread, Rob might get some tips there.

Rob Wilkins
07-27-2007, 4:51 PM
Funny you should say that - I moved my own work into the bathroom this Winter! I enjoyed working outside a lot, especially on fine days, but you're just too dependent on the weather - I didn't like the idea of having to give up the turning for the whole of Winter, and possibly much of the spring as well. So now, I set up the lathe across the top of the sink (it's the only spot in there that has room for it), and vacuum up after I'm finished every time.

It's probably one of the cleanest workshops in America, come to think of it... :D

I don't think there's room for the table saw in there, but I'm off to see if I can't rearrange things to make it fit anyway...

Steve Clardy
07-27-2007, 5:17 PM
Funny you should say that - I moved my own work into the bathroom this Winter! I enjoyed working outside a lot, especially on fine days, but you're just too dependent on the weather - I didn't like the idea of having to give up the turning for the whole of Winter, and possibly much of the spring as well. So now, I set up the lathe across the top of the sink (it's the only spot in there that has room for it), and vacuum up after I'm finished every time.

It's probably one of the cleanest workshops in America, come to think of it... :D

I don't think there's room for the table saw in there, but I'm off to see if I can't rearrange things to make it fit anyway...

Now I've heard of about everything I guess .
I lathe in the head. :eek: :D :D :D

Here I thought I was odd for stashing extra stanley planes in my shop bathroom. :o :rolleyes: :D :D :D

Rob Wilkins
07-27-2007, 7:13 PM
Now I've heard of about everything I guess .
I lathe in the head. :eek: :D :D :D

Here I thought I was odd for stashing extra stanley planes in my shop bathroom. :o :rolleyes: :D :D :D

Ahh, don't knock it. It's amazingly convenient - there's not far to go when you gotta go... :D