PDA

View Full Version : Chopmaster reputation?

Mark Rios
07-20-2006, 4:57 AM
Can I get a confirmation on the reputation of the Forrest Chopmaster 10" miter saw blade?

I just ordered this blade. I wasn't really that impressed with my WWII but I really prefer a dedicated purpose blade, as opposed to a combo. This Chopmaster will be the one for me then?

Per Swenson
07-20-2006, 8:00 AM
Mark,

Aye.

But I am gonna say it again.

Any of the over $100 sawblades from Ridge Carbide, Tenryu, Forrest etc.

are pretty much on par. After all we cut wood not split hairs.

This is my opinion not based on scientific testing.

For us the most important thing about saw blades is not who makes it,

but who resharpens it.

Per

Quinn McCarthy
07-20-2006, 8:39 AM
Mark

I have a 12" on my CMB. It's a great blade. It really leaves a nice finish.

CPeter James
07-20-2006, 8:45 AM
Per is correct on the sharpening. The people who make the blade should sharpen the blade if you want it to continue to give good cuts.

CPeter

Gary Herrmann
07-20-2006, 9:00 AM
I bought a 12" for a recent project. I was very pleased with the smoothness of the finish. Ditto the sharpening comments.

tod evans
07-20-2006, 9:08 AM
mark, i use amana blades on my chopsaw and have them sharpened locally by a lil`ol guy who`s been doing my sharpening for years, a 80 tooth blade runs 22 bucks to sharpen. i won`t buy into the mailing blades to the manufacturer for sharpening hoopla. try a nonferrous metal blade from any good manufacturer and see if you like it, then find a dependable local to sharpen for you afterall you`ll be sending him/her cutters too not just blades.....02 tod

Sam Chambers
07-20-2006, 9:44 AM
Mark, I have a 12" Chopmaster and am very pleased with it. Having said that, I get pretty good cuts from my 12" Dewalt blade too. I'm not sure I would have spent the $$$ on the Chopmaster, but a buddy was selling his at a very good price. I haven't been disappointed at all.

Jim Becker
07-20-2006, 10:42 AM
I have the 12" ChopMaster. Extremely satisfied...I actually use my miter saw now.

Doug Jones from Oregon
07-20-2006, 11:44 AM
I have two 14" pairs that I use on my double mitre saw along with the 12" ones that I use on my chop saw.

As far as sharpening goes, it is everything...and therefore I send them back to forest for sharpening with all the other forest blades...dado sets, etc. I don't have the time to test the local folks and work with them till they can get the job done right. They do the lesser important blades and I've yet to find anyone good!

Joe Mioux
07-20-2006, 10:56 PM
Along time ago, Mr Becker, even posted a picture of the results of a freshly cut piece of wood from his, at that time, new Chopmaster blade. The results were impressive.

J