PDA

View Full Version : Stanley No. 4 arrived today.

Mark Rios
07-19-2006, 11:41 PM
The long awaited Stanley No.4 arrived today. The guy, apparently, doesn't ever check his email (so he said when I had to call him) or simply chose not to respond. I don't know.

Anyway, I think it was rebuilt with pieces from different planes. The sole says "Bailey No 4" on the front of the sole and "G12-004 Made in England" on the back, between the frog and the handle. The handles are black plastic "artistically" (:D ) hand painted with some dark purplish, sparkly, swirley kind of paint. The plastic was prepped very well as it does not scrape off easily.

There is a funny part and a part for possible concern. First off, nothing has been lapped, sharpened, honed or tuned. The cap iron looked to be placed accordingly, 1/16" back from the edge of the cutter, but the cutter is bevel up. Someone has tried to plane with it, leaving not only some chunky dust t also some bigger wood chunks jammed into the space between the cap iron and the bevel. I'm sure you folks knew this before I even wrote it here. :D

The mouth though has a very small crack at the left front edge. It's 1/16" long. It might be easier to see once the sole is lapped but I can't see it now with my 3x loupe.

Is this bad? How bad?

Also, should I spend the money for an "improved" chipbreaker cap iron and thick blade or just tune it for rough work and get a better one for finish smoothing.

Thanks for reading and for any help and advice.

Mike Wenzloff
07-19-2006, 11:59 PM
Hi Mark--tune/clean it up, hone and flip the blade over and use it as is. Make sure to make the chip breaker fit against the iron well. It may still work fine for quite some time even with the small crack.

Wait for a better specimen to upgrade the blade and cap iron on--if at all.

Take care, Mike

Mark Rios
07-20-2006, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the good advice Mike. That's what I needed.