PDA

View Full Version : Summertime Blues on Summertime Glues

John Hulett
07-19-2006, 10:30 PM
Well, I finally got around to making the other three corner shelves orderd by LOML like the first one I built: http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24177.

Well, the glue-up is complicated, and as it is all over most of North America, the weather was up into the 100's. I looked around - I thought I had bought glue with a slow set time, but I was wrong - it was only Tightbond 2. I'm sure you can see where this is going. The dry fit went okay, but apply glue - which dried within just a few minutes - and what I got was a mess. The whole thing is ruined. :(

So, what glue do you recommend for these conditions?

- John

Chris Barton
07-19-2006, 10:48 PM
Plastic resin glue (Wledwood).

Don Selke
07-20-2006, 1:16 AM
Liquid Hyde Glue

Don Baer
07-20-2006, 1:35 AM
I use Probond from Elmers, it has a little longer set up time.

Bob Childress
07-20-2006, 7:36 AM
I've used Titebond III Extend with good results for complex glue ups. About 20 minutes or so of time, maybe a little less in this heat.

Mike Sheppard
07-20-2006, 8:28 AM
John
In the winter we keep glue in the furnace room, and summer refrigerate it. That seems to give me more open time.
Mike

Michael Adelong
07-20-2006, 9:19 AM
I'd glue it up in phases. Dry fit it together ensuring that you have a biscuit in each slot, remove one side and glue the edges of the shelves to the remaining side. Put the dry side back on, and clamp the assembly together. On pass #2, glue the edges of the shelves and the joint between the 2 side pieces.

Just make sure that it all dry fits nicely without having to force the parts into alignment, and make sure that you square everything up real well as you go.

Michael

Jesse Cloud
07-20-2006, 10:59 AM
I hear you. Here in New Mexico its 100 degrees and the humidity is below 10 per cent, so the glue dries real fast. All the advice above is good. Also, many of us out here add a little water to the glue - not more than 10 per cent when it gets real hot.