PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Use the PSI Versa Chisels....

Corey Hallagan
07-19-2006, 9:00 PM
These are basically PSI's version of the Spindle Master. The price is 25.00 for a 3/4 and 1/2 inch chisels. The Spindle Master is 45.00 for the 1/2 inch and 50.00 for the 3/4 inch. I have used alot of the PSI gouges and skews and i think they are a fine value for the money. Just wondering if anybody has used these. Thanks as always!

Corey

Tom Sherman
07-20-2006, 11:35 AM
Corey, I have a set of the same tools. I bought them last year and found them to be good ones. They work well as long as you can keep them sharp, I had to regrind both of them as the edge was dubbed on the very point but since then they both work fine.

Corey Hallagan
07-20-2006, 12:14 PM
Well my wife sprung for a set of them for my birthday present as well as a a couple other chisels and a set of diamond hones. I won't be happy if they come dinged etc. I think I will send them back for replacement if that is the case. I would think they would be fairly tough to regrind that profile. BTW I almost went with a spindle master but just couldn't see spending that money on one chisel at this time. Be nice to have both for comparrision though ! Thanks Tom!
Corey

Corey

Tom Sherman
07-20-2006, 12:25 PM
Corey regrinding them wasn't a hard job just used the wolverine set up and then touched up the top(flat edge) with a hone.

Bernie Weishapl
07-20-2006, 10:39 PM
Thanks Corey and Tom for the info. I have been looking at them pretty closely myself. How do they work Tom as far as turning with them?

Tom Sherman
07-21-2006, 12:22 PM
Bernie they do a fine job, when you use them like a gouge for turning coves and beads and also when using them as planers I have had great success, they do not catch as bad a a skew and leave almost as good a surface.

Bernie Weishapl
07-21-2006, 11:33 PM
Thanks Tom. I think I will order them.