PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G1035 shaper fence

Ed Bamba
07-19-2006, 8:06 PM
Posted this on another forum, but not getting many replies.

I recently acquired this shaper from an estate sale for a really good price. It seems like it was never used since the shipping grease is still on the lift assembly and no saw dust on the grease. The machine was still sitting on the styro foam it was shipped in. I still need to clean off all the grease.

Anyways, I looked all over the old man's shop and couldn't find the fence and guard assemblies, nor did I find the spindles, draw bar, and tools. The only thing on the table was the guard assembly support rod, miter guage, and router bit spindle (already installed).

I checked with Grizzly Tech Support and they found a part number for the fence assembly that is supposed to run about $75.00. not sure if the guard comes with it though. I'll have to order the spindles, draw bar, and tools separately.

So I guess my question is do I need to get the Grizzly fence, or is there an aftermarket fence that can be used? I read alot about making a fence for router tables; can this concept apply to shapers too? I don't want to spend more than what I bought the shaper for.

Ok, so your probably wondering what I paid for the shaper right. Well I hope your sitting down, cause you may (or may not) faint when you find out.

Still curious?

Ok Ok Ok------ I paid $95.00 http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowyes.gif you read that right. Long story short, the guy's ex-daughter-in-law is in charge of selling off the estate since the only remaining kin are her children (his grand children). Her boyfriend almost changed his mind on selling the machine to me after he actually looked the machine over. He's not a wood worker, but was sure he could sell it for more than his initial price of $75.00. He was hoping to get at least $100.00 from me. I told him that I didn't have that much, so he settled for the intial asking price; but I felt bad and gave him all I had on me.

BTW, I noticed a workbench in the shop and asked what he wanted for it. He blurted out $25.00. Had to come back for it though. OH yeah it's a low end Sjobergs model 1400 (I think) workbench. It's been used and in fair condition though.

OK, gloat over for now. Hopefully someone can respond about the fence.

Take care and thanks in advance for your input,
Ed

Steve Clardy
07-19-2006, 9:01 PM
The 3HP shaper?

Forgot the numbers

Richard Wolf
07-19-2006, 9:37 PM
The 3HP shaper?

Forgot the numbers

1 1/2 HP

Richard

Russ Massery
07-19-2006, 10:32 PM
Ed, I have a G1035 happy with the machine for the most part. Does a great job on raised panels etc... As for the fence not much to write home about. I saw a pic of fellow creeker John Webber's Delta . The way it adjusts is really nice, a hugh improvment. But I'm sure Delta wants an arm and a leg for it. another option would be the Shop fox fence they use on the 2hp unit. As for the stock fence is the way you must bolt it to make it move. Is what I dislike the most, the fine adjustment is ok. But for the price you got yours for. It would worth putting a 100.00 or so in to it. I would explore your options before buying the stock fence.

Russ

Ed Bamba
07-19-2006, 11:11 PM
Ed, I have a G1035 happy with the machine for the most part. Does a great job on raised panels etc... As for the fence not much to write home about. I saw a pic of fellow creeker John Webber's Delta . The way it adjusts is really nice, a hugh improvment. But I'm sure Delta wants an arm and a leg for it. another option would be the Shop fox fence they use on the 2hp unit. As for the stock fence is the way you must bolt it to make it move. Is what I dislike the most, the fine adjustment is ok. But for the price you got yours for. It would worth putting a 100.00 or so in to it. I would explore your options before buying the stock fence.

Russ

Thanks for your input and suggestion. I've never even used a shaper, let alone using the stock fence, I'm glad you stepped up to give your opinion on it. I'd hate to spend money and end up regretting buying it. I'll look into the Shop Fox option, along with those that others may suggest. Hope others will chime in.

Take care,
Ed

tod evans
07-20-2006, 8:06 AM
ed, i`ve seen shaper fences sold on the auction site new for import shapers, might be worth a couple min. to look at? .02 tod

Mark Pruitt
07-20-2006, 8:14 AM
Ed, if the fence was absent, I suppose there was also no manual or (more importantly) parts list with exploded diagram. You can download that at grizzly.com. That should help you as you order needed parts.

Ed Bamba
07-20-2006, 8:16 AM
ed, i`ve seen shaper fences sold on the auction site new for import shapers, might be worth a couple min. to look at? .02 tod

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll keep my eye out. I don't mean to be presumptious, but are you referring to the world-famous internet auction site? Not sure if the real name can be mentioned here since you didn't specifically mention the name.

Take care,
Ed

tod evans
07-20-2006, 8:28 AM
yup e-bay industrial/woodworking i think the brand is accura or some such? looked to be similar in design to deltas......tod

Ed Bamba
07-20-2006, 8:51 AM
Thanks Tod, I'll check it out today.

Mark, you're correct on the missing manual. I've downloaded the manual and parts list off of the Grizz site, and have been reviewing the operation procedures. Like I mentioned above, the fence assembly is supposed to be availlable from Grizz, but I would like input from others if there are better options than the stock fence. Thanks for your reply.

Take care,
Ed

Ed Bamba
07-20-2006, 6:48 PM
Just checked with Grizzly's Tech Support about this fence. I guess it's more substantial and greatly better than the G1035 because it cost over three times as much:eek: . $255 and some change for the assembly, not including the guard. Wow, I think I'll keep looking for other options.

Thanks for listening,
Ed