PDA

View Full Version : This is my first project!

stallone tremblay
07-19-2006, 7:42 PM
Hi all,

I am new here and i like to read your topic about the world of woodworking. This is a great forum about my hobby.

I have just finish my first project and i am very proud of it.

I am very perfectionist and you can see a lot of imperfection but i have to see at large. I have to take consider its my first one! I dont use any planner or jointer to built that furniture. All you can see (leg, colomn, moulding except the maple leaf) its made from my hand. I use router, orbital sander, biscuit jointer, table saw and scroll saw to built it and take about one month.

I want your input about my first project. Dont be shy and give me your real impression and advice. I very like to work with wood and all i want, its to be better. Its why i want your help!! Unfortunately, during the transport we make small damage on the legs...

Thanks a lot!

p.s. sorry for my english, i am from quebec, canada and my first language is french!!!

Don Baer
07-19-2006, 7:47 PM
Well time for me to sell my tools. If thats your first project then It's time for me to quit. Excellent work for your first or 1001 th project you have good reason to be proud.

Welcome to the creek and I am sure that the picture police would approve.

Art Davis
07-19-2006, 7:50 PM
Stallone,

Votre menuiserie est tres magnifique! Pour mois, le Francais est tres difficile aussi. Mais, je veux dire que votre project est, simplement, beau!

Avec mes sentiments les plus haut.

Art

P.S. Je habite Oregon, sur le rive de la Riviere Rogue.

(What I have attempted to say in French is this: Your cabinetwork is very nice! For me, French is also very difficult. But I would like to say that your project is simply beautiful. P.S. I live in Oregon, on the bank of the Rogue River.)

Mike Canaris
07-19-2006, 7:53 PM
Wow....for your first project...this is amazing...

What kind of wood did you use..maple?

You should be proud if it....it's beautiful.

Ron Blaise
07-19-2006, 7:54 PM
:confused: Stalone, if that's your first ever wood project you made us all look like amateur's. What kind of wood ? Cherry?

John Miliunas
07-19-2006, 8:09 PM
Stallone, you bring new meaning to the term "perfectionist"! WOW!!! :D I've been making sawdust (do that part real well!) for a number of years and I'm not sure I could pull off what you've shown us here and, certainly not in a month's time!!! :) Beautiful and, oh BTW, welcome to the Creek!!! Awesome first impression!!! :) :cool:

Bob Noles
07-19-2006, 8:55 PM
Stallone,

We have stores over here that sell furniture well below the standard of your work. You have done a most fantastic job and it is hard to believe that it is only your first project. I can't wait to see your 3rd project if your first was this good.

By the way..... WELCOME to SMC!

Mike Burns
07-19-2006, 9:15 PM
Stallone, That is a great piece of work. Better than I've seen at the furniture stores, for sure. Congratulations............. and thank you for giving me a big dose of humility. ;-)

Mike

Vaughn McMillan
07-19-2006, 9:25 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Stallone. You did a beautiful job on the cabinet. As others have said, if that's your first project, I'll be eagerly awaiting the next one. It will be hard to improve on the beautiful piece you have already completed. Very well done. Très bon!

- Vaughn

lou sansone
07-19-2006, 9:32 PM
welcome to the creek and fantastic work .. what is your next project

lou

Von Bickley
07-19-2006, 10:04 PM
Welcome to the Creek.

Excellent woodworking...:) :) :)

Andy Hoyt
07-19-2006, 11:11 PM
Sorry, Stallone; but you're completely wrong.

Your first language appears to be woodworking and the message comes through loud and clear. Well done, and welcome to SMC.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-19-2006, 11:24 PM
Stallone...........Welcome to the Creek! Your 1st project.....very well done! Excellent! Looking forward to viewing your future work!

Jerry Olexa
07-19-2006, 11:49 PM
That is really excellent (superior) work!! What is the wood, what was your finish and did you do the dentil work in the crown?? Very impressive. Hard to believe its your first..We (I) are not worthy...Whats your next project??

Bob Marino
07-19-2006, 11:55 PM
Simply outstanding and for a first project yet!! What is the finish on the piece - it looks great. Welcome aboard!

Bob

Peter Pedisich
07-20-2006, 12:36 AM
Excellent design and execution.

Thanks for sharing.

Corey Hallagan
07-20-2006, 12:37 AM
Beautiful work and triple that for a first project. Top notch.

Corey

Dave Fifield
07-20-2006, 1:46 AM
Bonjour Stallone,

Please put a shirt on before you take photographs in the future, s'il vous plait. :eek: :o :p :D

Nice entertainment center though - great first project!!

Cheers,
Dave F.

Bob Childress
07-20-2006, 7:34 AM
Excellent work! And welcome to the Creek. First project huh? Hmmm . . . . :D

Jerry Zelt
07-20-2006, 7:37 AM
Wow, all that you have done and with so few tools. Congradulations and thanks for sharing that!

Jerry

Lou Morrissette
07-20-2006, 8:56 AM
Tres bon, mon ami! Beautiful work. Welcome to the Creek.

Lou

Larry Fox
07-20-2006, 9:00 AM
WOW - that is fantastic. Very nice work.

BTW: I think my first project was a cat scratching post. I finished it with one coat of carpet. :) YOUR first is amazing.

Tom Hamilton
07-20-2006, 9:06 AM
Welcome to the Creek and congrats on your finished piece. It is a masterpiece and will be used by future generations.

Did you draw the plans or purchase them?

All the best, Tom, in Houston, thinking WOW!

Carl Eyman
07-20-2006, 9:10 AM
Magnifique! I can't wait to see #2

Karl Laustrup
07-20-2006, 9:24 AM
Tres' Magnifique!!! That's about it for my French, but that piece speaks any language.

Welcome to the "Creek". Hope to see more of your work soon. Learning, first project, yeah right.;) ;) :D

Karl

Tyler Howell
07-20-2006, 9:53 AM
I quit!! Shop for sale!
Welcome Stallone.

larry merlau
07-20-2006, 10:27 AM
well as others have said your first project speaks in any language:eek: you have done fine job and i too am looking forward to seeingmore of your work. sorry dont speak french but have seen afair amount of your neck of the woods. glad to have you amoung our group.

Jim Becker
07-20-2006, 10:40 AM
No shyness here...like Uncle Bob said... OUTSTANDING!!

Michael Fross
07-20-2006, 10:41 AM
Wow. My first project was a fireplace mantel and I still point out to people that comment all of my mistakes.

Great job and welcome to the creek. This group has some of the most talented and generous people I've ever met. You won't find more helpful folks.

Again, great job and welcome.

Michael

stallone tremblay
07-20-2006, 10:42 AM
Thanks all for your great comments, now i feel shy:o . All of you are very nice and you give me a big boost of energy to do many other project!!

I will try to answer at all your questions!!

Mike Canaris and Ron Blaise: The name of the wood is "merisier" in french but a dont know how i can say that in english:( .

lou sansone and Jerry Olexa: my next project will be probably more smaller. I think i will built a kind of cabinet to place cd, dvd, etc...

Jerry Olexa: like i said previously, the name is "merisier" in french. Ohh, its a mistake from me, i forget to said that the dentil is cut be me but i dont do that:( . Its a moulding that i have bought from wood shop!

BOB MARINO: I use a mixture of two color of FLECTO Interior Verathane gel stain and the satin finish is made with FLECTO Professional Varathane varnish.

Tom Hamilton: I use autocad do entirely draw the cabinet. I was taking me a lot of time.. Then, all the curve form you can seen on the cabinet (top of the door, leg, and all other one) a have printed blue print with 1:1 scale. Then i use masking tape with double face sticking (usually used to stick carpet on the floor!) and i have to stick the blue print on the wood. With this tips, i dont have to use any glue that was durt on wood. The leg, for exemple, that me a long time to do: i have put blue print on the side of the leg. Them to follow his curve shape, i have use my router table. With a small top curve bit, i take a lot of pass and between them, i adjusting the ruler and the height of the router. Then, after that, sanding time!!! I sand the leg to give his smooth curve......it was taked me a lot of time and patience!!!

Dave Fifield: I promish you!!!!

Still other time, i dont take time to sincerly thanks all of you personnaly, but a want to say thank you at all of you for your good words!!!!

Good day!!!

Bruce Benjamin
07-20-2006, 11:05 AM
My first project involved a few wooden pallets, a plastic tarp, and a tree in my backyard. I was about 8. The first time I rode a bike I crashed into a mailbox. In your first project you do this??? I suppose the first time you rode a bike you won the Tour De France. :rolleyes: It's already been said but it can be said again, beautiful work! If you had told everyone this was your 20th project I think we all would have been just as impressed. I suppose the only thing more tools will do for you is allow you to work faster and easier. When you say this is your first project, do you mean this is the first woodworking you've ever done, or this is the first piece of fine furniture you've ever made? Either way, you have a real talent and quite a future ahead of you.

Bruce

Marvin Keys
07-20-2006, 11:12 AM
Merisier translates to wild cherry.

Brian Kent
07-20-2006, 11:24 AM
I typed "Merisier" in my Mac French to English dictionary and came up with "wild cherry tree".

Julio Navarro
07-20-2006, 12:19 PM
do you have any "in progress" pictures, I'd love to see how you built that. Nice work.

Chuck Trisdale
07-20-2006, 12:25 PM
That is awesome - especially for the tools you have on hand. I have many more tools, and I think you have insured that I will never post pictures of anything I do!! :o Welcome to the creek.

Mike Hedges
07-20-2006, 3:31 PM
Great job, I want to build one like that .. where can I get Plans . Hope I can make mine look like that, great Work. Mike

Jerry Strojny
07-20-2006, 3:43 PM
Outstanding.....we are running out of adjectives to describe the great work. Great work.

Dan Oliphant
07-20-2006, 4:21 PM
Stallone, very nice piece of furniture, well designed and constructed. The fluting is very crisp and clean, for a first project, it shows a solid knowledge of your tools.
One comment though, we can see in the picture of your leg design/ construction that the finish is being removed by the cleaning of the floor around the legs. You might consider cleaning that area of the floor by hand.

Scott Vigder
07-20-2006, 10:35 PM
WOW, nice work! Eye Dew Not speek French, but eye kan tell zees eez Bee-U-Tee-Full.
What type of wood is it?

stallone tremblay
07-21-2006, 6:45 PM
Julio Navarro: sorry, i dont have any work in progress...

Dan Oliphant: thanks for your advice!!!

Bye,

Jeffrey Makiel
07-22-2006, 7:06 PM
The main reason why I posted this post is to bump this post back to the front of the pack!

I sure wish my first woodworking project looked this good!

cheers, Jeff :)

stallone tremblay
07-22-2006, 7:23 PM
The main reason why I posted this post is to bump this post back to the front of the pack!

I sure wish my first woodworking project looked this good!

cheers, Jeff :)

You are very nice!! Thanks a lot!!!