PDA

View Full Version : Finally did it. First wooden handplane

Zahid Naqvi
07-19-2006, 6:54 PM
Finally finished my first Krenov style smoother. Not having a bandsaw made some of the curves a chore, but a combination of:rasps, hand saws, scrapers, spoke shaves and lots of elbow grease resulted in this. Made with Ash, it'd probably look better with a bit of mineral spirits applied, but heck it's a user not a looker :rolleyes:

You will notice a bit of funny looking carving on the back of the plane. Initially I made it the traditional or text book way, but I have smallish hands and the grip felt too big. So I thought I'd do some practice on shaping. I held the plane with what I percieve a normal grip and drew the outline of my thumb and some part of the palm. Out came the rasp and sand paper. The resulting thumb imprint is probably better visible in the following (and mandatory) thin shavings view.

Of course I did make a small adjustment hammer to go with it. Didn't have any brass rods so a chunk of purple heart had to do as the head, seems reasonably balanced.

Maurice Metzger
07-19-2006, 8:16 PM
Zahid, that's a great looking plane. I think the purpose of the custom handgrip was pretty apparent even in the first picture, it looks good.

Maurice

Jim Hinze
07-19-2006, 8:21 PM
Zahid,

Beauitful plane.....

Your gonna get hooked.. Since I made my first one about a year ago, I've made several more to substitute for my old Stanley's... I reach for a woodie first before nearly any plane I have... I find they work better... or it's just the pride in the fact I made it :)

Javier Gonzalez
07-19-2006, 8:56 PM
The proof is in the pudding. Nice lacy shavings, congrats.

Alan Turner
07-19-2006, 9:02 PM
Nice work. Enjoy.

Mark Singer
07-19-2006, 9:11 PM
Very nice work! Zahid,
I think you will really enjoy using it!

Larry Gelder
07-19-2006, 9:11 PM
Nice. I want to make a smoother too. I made a jack, same style (Krenov). I initially sanded the body so it was smooth, but found the surface a little too slick after using it a few times, so I took the rasp to the body and left it somewhat textured. Fits my hand better now.

Lars Thomas
07-19-2006, 9:47 PM
Zahid, very nice work. I have one of those on my wish list.

Tyler Howell
07-19-2006, 10:26 PM
Well done Z!
:cool:

Alan DuBoff
07-20-2006, 3:13 AM
Nice plane and nice mallet as well! :)

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
07-20-2006, 3:18 AM
Nice job on both. I really like my Hock kit plane.

Speaking of, did everyone else catch Chris Schwartz's take on same in his Woodworking magazine blog?

http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/Friends+Krenovians++Countrymen.aspx
http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/Romanstyle+Handplane+Completato.aspx

Dan Forman
07-20-2006, 6:04 AM
Fine job on both the plane and mallet. Please keep us posted on how you like it over time.

Dan

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-20-2006, 6:12 AM
Very nice, how long did it take you to make?

What will you finish it with?

Cheers!

Rob Millard
07-20-2006, 8:00 AM
Zahid
The plane looks great, but the proof is in the shavings, and those are perfect. I made a couple of planes, with the Krenov method, but in a traditional style. It’s fun using tools you’ve made yourself.
Not having a bandsaw must have made it a chore.
The Purple Heart was a good choice for the head. I have a mallet made from it also, and it has taken quite a beating with no signs of wear.
Rob Millard

Michael Fross
07-20-2006, 10:37 AM
Great Job.

This is on my list of things to do one of the days.

Very nicely done. Impressive

Michael

Zahid Naqvi
07-20-2006, 2:10 PM
Very nice, how long did it take you to make?

Stu, it took me much longer due to lack of mechanised tools, I think it was about three weeks(working mostly weekends and one day per week). No jointer so I had to joint everything by hand, plus all the curves had to be cut by a coping saw, and then alligned by scrapers and spokeshave.

What will you finish it with?
Cheers!

I was inclining towards no finish, I like the lived in look :D . And many recomendations from fellow creekers suggest it's a good option, so that is what I am going to do.

I'll probably end up making several at different angles and use the same set of irons. I have a visit to Dennis' shop coming up this weekend. If I can get all the bandsaw and jointer work done at his place this weekend, the rest will be a breeze, based on my experience with this one.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-20-2006, 2:51 PM
Thanks for the reply Zahid, I was thinking of the natural look too. I would think that over time, the oil from your hands, (not to mention the sweat from your brow) would do nicely as a finish.

Again, great job! :D