PDA

View Full Version : Framing in a Door

Ken Alcott
07-19-2006, 5:31 PM
So how hard could it be?:rolleyes:

I was given just the door but my wife likes it and wants to put it between two rooms. How would I go about doing that?

Is it just a matter of framing in the opening to the correct width with a header all the way across the top of the space? Any help or direction to a soul in way over their head is much appreciated...

tod evans
07-19-2006, 6:19 PM
ken, first you must know if the wall in which you wish to set the door bears any weight from either the roof or upper floors. only then can you proceed, and how you proceed will depend on the wall in question...02 tod

Ken Alcott
07-19-2006, 6:26 PM
tod:

I was afraid someone with much more knowledge of this, like you was going to say something like that.:(

tod evans
07-19-2006, 6:48 PM
well ken i could say just go ahead and grab the sawsall and have at it, slap some trim on it and be done before dinner.....but things ain`t so easy...02 tod

Jerry Olexa
07-19-2006, 11:40 PM
The load bearing aspect is important. Also, I'd get a pre hung door once you handle the safety/strength issue.

Peter Mc Mahon
07-20-2006, 7:43 AM
Are you cutting a hole in the wall or filling in a empty space? IF you are cutting a hole are there any floors above that wall, or just the roof? Any electrical, water lines? What about the flooring, how will you fill that in? What are the walls made of drywall or plaster and lath? Inquiring minds want to know................. Peter