PDA

View Full Version : Brands of ridge vent material

Jim O'Dell
07-19-2006, 4:22 PM
Does anyone have any working information on different brands of ridge vents? My research has only come up with Air Vent (I think that was the name of the company) Lowes, 84 Lumber, Menards carry it. Comes in several colors.
Anyone have any experience with them? Or any brand that you have likes/dislikes about? Any information would be welcome. I've never used this type of venting so any information would be great. Thanks! Jim.

Reed Wells
07-19-2006, 7:57 PM
Jim when I was doing a lot of building I always used a brand called Core Vent. It looks from the side like multi layered corregated board. The nice thing I liked about it is the fact that you shingle over it with your ridge shingles so only the venting profile shows. I would skip the cheap plastic vents for you will be replacing them every few years.

Jim O'Dell
07-20-2006, 2:41 PM
Reed, the one I am looking at is aluminum, and has some type of filter and baffel system in it to keep bugs and driven rain and snow out. They also have a style that you shingle over, but I'm not worried about that for this installation, if I can get a brown or tan color. I understand from Lowe's web site that they only carry black, so we'll see. I'll look into the one you mentioned. Thanks! Jim.

Norman Hitt
07-20-2006, 5:36 PM
Jim, if you can't get the color you want, you could always scuff it lightly with a 3M pad and spray it with some of that epoxy Appliance paint before you install it, and it should last for years.

Just a thought.

Jim O'Dell
07-20-2006, 6:49 PM
Norman, I went by Lowes on the way home from work, and they have the brown main pieces, but only black in the joint covers. :confused: :confused: I figured I'd find some brown spray paint to match.
These aren't as sturdy as I hoped they might be. The filter material was just that...a thin piece of filter material stuffed into the top cavity. I don't see how it would keep bugs out unless they are talking about flies and mosquitoes.
Looks like it will be easy to install. I still want to price it at 84 Lumber. Maybe they will have the brown joint straps! Jim.