PDA

View Full Version : Dresser finished...almost [PICS]

Tim Solley
07-19-2006, 12:26 PM
Well, with my boy being due for a C-section next week, I've finally finished his dresser...almost. Everything is done but the drawer pulls. I'll start those tonight, and they shouldn't take me very long to turn six pulls.

The dresser is hard maple with solid curly maple drawer fronts. Finish is Behlen Solar Lux dye on the hard maple, no dye on the curly. Followed by a coat of BLO and three coats of Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish sprayed on with my HVLP sprayer.

This dresser matches a bookcase I completed a few months ago: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=35114

Thanks for looking. Tim

David Pettibone
07-19-2006, 1:24 PM
That is some fine work Tim! Nice finish, nice design and nice use of the wood. Awesome job!!

David

Rich Torino
07-19-2006, 1:32 PM
great job Tim, I really like the cruly maple...

Chuck Trisdale
07-19-2006, 1:36 PM
The finish looks awesome. I know your boy will treasure it! Great job!

Roy Wall
07-19-2006, 2:24 PM
Tim -

Very Nice!!! Your finish looks terrific and shows off the Curls.......:)

I'd like to know more about the curve work at the bottom...maybe another pic or two...:cool:

Congrats to you and Mom on the new little one - He has a treasure to show off - made from Dad!! Great Stuff!!!!

Larry Cooke
07-19-2006, 2:26 PM
Beautiful job there Tim. I really like the curved sides, looks really nice. Bet mom will really appreciate having the dresser!

Larry

Helen Gee
07-19-2006, 2:41 PM
great job Tim! I love the curves on the dresser and the beautiful grain pattern on the curly maple :)

Tim Solley
07-19-2006, 3:03 PM
Tim -

Very Nice!!! Your finish looks terrific and shows off the Curls.......:)

I'd like to know more about the curve work at the bottom...maybe another pic or two...:cool:

Congrats to you and Mom on the new little one - He has a treasure to show off - made from Dad!! Great Stuff!!!!

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Roy, I'll snap off some more pictures as soon as I get a chance. I had a hard enough time getting a couple of quick decent pictures. The pictures of that curly maple really don't do the dresser justice. It really looks amazing in person. I'll try to set up some better lighting and get some more pictures, and from different angles.

As for the curve work, what specifically are you interested in? Since I took a head on shot, you can't see that the sides of the carcass are flat, not curved. It's only the face frame piece that's curved. I made a template for the curve out of 1/2" MDF. I used it for the bookcase, the dresser sides, and the bottom drawers. To make the drawers sweep around, I used a thin scrap strip and had my wife hold one end while I held the other to the curve I liked, then just traced it. Bandsawed the shape, cleaned up with a sanding spindle in my drill press. Once I had one shaped, I just traced it on the other drawer front and did the same.

This was definitely my most ambitious project to date. I'm a beginner by all rights, this is only my fourth project (all four have been during my wife's pregnancy). I made many mistakes, luckily most don't show. I learned a ton, much more than the previous four projects combined. The curly maple was a real bear to work with. I was originally going to use a raised panel bit to raise the drawer fronts, but the tear out was horrible. In the end I actually shaped those drawers by hand using a belt sander, a orbital sander, hand sanding, and a lot of patience. I actually like the outcome better than had I used the router. Planing was tough too, lots of tear out. New planer knives and super light passes helped. Lots of sanding.

If that doesn't answer you questions, let me know and I'll be happy to elaborate more.

Tim

Roy Wall
07-19-2006, 3:27 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Roy, I'll snap off some more pictures as soon as I get a chance. I had a hard enough time getting a couple of quick decent pictures. The pictures of that curly maple really don't do the dresser justice. It really looks amazing in person. I'll try to set up some better lighting and get some more pictures, and from different angles.

As for the curve work, what specifically are you interested in? Since I took a head on shot, you can't see that the sides of the carcass are flat, not curved. It's only the face frame piece that's curved. I made a template for the curve out of 1/2" MDF. I used it for the bookcase, the dresser sides, and the bottom drawers. To make the drawers sweep around, I used a thin scrap strip and had my wife hold one end while I held the other to the curve I liked, then just traced it. Bandsawed the shape, cleaned up with a sanding spindle in my drill press. Once I had one shaped, I just traced it on the other drawer front and did the same.

This was definitely my most ambitious project to date. I'm a beginner by all rights, this is only my fourth project (all four have been during my wife's pregnancy). I made many mistakes, luckily most don't show. I learned a ton, much more than the previous four projects combined. The curly maple was a real bear to work with. I was originally going to use a raised panel bit to raise the drawer fronts, but the tear out was horrible. In the end I actually shaped those drawers by hand using a belt sander, a orbital sander, hand sanding, and a lot of patience. I actually like the outcome better than had I used the router. Planing was tough too, lots of tear out. New planer knives and super light passes helped. Lots of sanding.

If that doesn't answer you questions, let me know and I'll be happy to elaborate more.

Tim

Tim - Got it now....... thanks for the description of curving the faceframe - and the drawer front .... it adds a nice touch to the design - Good Idea!!

Mike Hill
07-19-2006, 4:00 PM
Tim: This is really a beautiful piece of work. I am still struggling to learn and finishing is tough! You did a really excellent job.
Mike

Tyler Howell
07-19-2006, 4:01 PM
That is a beauty Tim. Well done.

Tim Solley
07-19-2006, 4:36 PM
Tim: This is really a beautiful piece of work. I am still struggling to learn and finishing is tough! You did a really excellent job.
Mike

Hi Mike,

I know you and I have exchanged emails a time or two. Since we both live in Round Rock, if you're ever interested, you could swing by some time and I'll be happy to divulge what I know about finishing so far. Or any other woodworking subject for that matter.

When I started woodworking, I like many others, found finishing to be quite a daunting and overwhelming task. I would be happy with a project, only to have the whole thing fall apart at finishing time. Well I've made it a goal to really get good at finishing. While I'm far from an expert, I'm now producing finishes that I'm happy with, and my level of anxiety when it comes time to finish is way, way down, thanks to increased confidence. After a few more projects, I'm sure I'll really be happy with how they come out.

Tim

Ben Roman
07-19-2006, 4:39 PM
Hi Mike,

I know you and I have exchanged emails a time or two. Since we both live in Round Rock, if you're ever interested, you could swing by some time and I'll be happy to divulge what I know about finishing so far. Or any other woodworking subject for that matter.

When I started woodworking, I like many others, found finishing to be quite a daunting and overwhelming task. I would be happy with a project, only to have the whole thing fall apart at finishing time. Well I've made it a goal to really get good at finishing. While I'm far from an expert, I'm now producing finishes that I'm happy with, and my level of anxiety when it comes time to finish is way, way down, thanks to increased confidence. After a few more projects, I'm sure I'll really be happy with how they come out.

Tim
Count me in too on the finishing class !!! Im in georgetown

Ben

John Buzzurro
07-19-2006, 6:05 PM
That's a beautiful dresser, Tim. I like the style and the choice of wood.

Jerry Strojny
07-19-2006, 6:19 PM
Great job Tim. I would would be very happy with that piece if it were my 20th. It looks great, I'm sure the boy will love it when he learns you made it just for him. (If I were closer, I'd love to hear what you've learned about finishing. I'm still dealing with bouts of anxiety.)

Great design and wood selection too.

Ron Jones near Indy
07-19-2006, 7:16 PM
Got to love the curly maple. I anticipate more pix. Great looking project!

Jim W. White
07-19-2006, 7:18 PM
Just awesome Tim ....nice execution on all fronts.

Congratulations in advance on the new family member!!!