PDA

View Full Version : Armoire drawer construction questions....

Phil Winn
07-19-2006, 11:58 AM
I am building a Curly Mahogany Armoire with raised panel doors on the top half, and 3 drawers on the bottom half. The drawer fronts will be Curly Mahogany-I was thinking about making them as Half-Blind Dovetails or Sliding Dovetails or ?
Questions:
1. For the drawer sides and back, which wood should I use (Fronts will be Curly Mahogany and bottoms will be Baltic Birch Plywood.) ?
A. Poplar?
B. Which other woods can be used?
C. Baltic Birch Plywood (not for the half-blind?)—For the sliding dovetails?
2. Any other suggestions for the drawer construction? (not half-blind or sliding).
3. Any finishing suggestions for Curly Mahogany?
Thanks so much,
Phil

Chris Padilla
07-19-2006, 3:19 PM
I like to use more stable plywood for drawer boxes. Solid wood can move and potentially cause problems later on but many successfully use hardwood boxes all the time. The only issue with plywood is the "end grain" layers...you'll want to edge-band it.

Also, the size of the box might dictate a plywood preference over hardwood or vice versa.

My favorite and easy to apply finish is Velvit Oil. It is basically a wiping varnish (oil) and I love it.

Chris Barton
07-19-2006, 3:45 PM
Hi Phil,

You didn't mention the style of the piece and that may not be a factor to you but, in my period pieces I make the drawer interiors similar to the way they would have been in the original piece. I like and use poplar, maple, birch, ash, and oak depending on the piece. Quarter sawn stock is the best. BB ply will work and it is resistant to wood movement but, I wouldn't want to put such great exterior woordwork over an interior that didn't reflect the same level of dedication. But, that's just me. I typically use HB dovetail on most of my drawers.

Alan Turner
07-19-2006, 9:16 PM
Hard maple is my drawer parts wood of choice. If you look around, quartered is available.

Mark Singer
07-19-2006, 9:23 PM
Maple is a good choice and very nice to dovetail

Jerry Olexa
07-19-2006, 11:22 PM
Poplar or Maple are my choices. I use 1//2 " ply on bigger, functional projects where the furniture look is not as critical. Just IMHO

Joe Unni
07-20-2006, 5:37 PM
...I wouldn't want to put such great exterior woordwork over an interior that didn't reflect the same level of dedication...
Ditto.

-joe