PDA

View Full Version : Fundraising Questions...

Phyllis Meyer
07-19-2006, 11:14 AM
Hi Everyone,

The newbie here with another question...have any of you done fundraisers with your local schools, churches, groups, clubs...? If so, what has worked the best for you? Also, any pricing ideas would be helpful. I think this will be a great way for me to get our name out there in a great way, and also helping the group with higher profits than say (selling candy bars). :) Don't get me wrong, I love candy!! But, just trying to help them offer the customer a new product instead of the same old-same old!

Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Phyllis

Joe Pelonio
07-19-2006, 11:54 AM
Those fundraising items that I have done for the local elementary school have been donated. These have been for auctions by the PTSA. You'll get exposure because of the "donated by" on all of their publications and the sign with the item as shown to them for the bidding. Since that I did get a few jobs from people that saw my work but actually got more (paid) work from the school itself.

I have done some fundraising items for the Boy Scouts, such as engraved tiles and wooden postcards for a camp to sell at the camp store. I priced them at half what I would charge retail at the shop. Still not making much on that but again got people ordering other things when they found out
where the items were made.

Carl Eyman
07-19-2006, 11:58 AM
There have been several posts in the past where a piece has been auctioned off with good results. For this to work, IMO, the piece has to be exceptionally well done and of a nature that has a lot of appeal. I think I remember a tall clock that drew a good price. Maybe a raffle of a piece would also work, but that depends on how good a sales force one has.

Nick Napier
07-19-2006, 1:17 PM
Another good fund raiser is silicone wristbands. They are always popular with young folks. If you've noticed some wear 5 or 6 of them. And when you can engrave their custom message it's even more special. I just finished 150 for a Church so they are not just for schools. Also dogtags do well. Just a thought.

Nick Napier
Napier's Laser Engraving
woodworknick@yahoo.com

Rodne Gold
07-19-2006, 1:40 PM
I have found the best fundraiser is a donors board or something like that , the power of ppl having their name up for prosterity is powerful. Its a decent project for you to do $ wise , can exhibit your creativity and enhances everyone , you , church/whatever/donor.In terms of donors plaques and boards , the sky is the limit as to what you want to do and materials to use

In terms of what our customers ask us for , its mainly keytags , coaster sets , desktop items and simple branding of cheap eastern junk that looks like a $100000.
We really avoid doing one off personalised stuff and getting involved with "Mickey Mouse" orgs as these always get messy with stock and payment and errors.
Thing with fundraisers is that you and the org have to make profits , you at least 100% on bought in and like 300% on made , the org will want at least 100% and you still got to come in at a "throw away" price to the public , which really limits one to the cheap stuff , if your material costs are $2 , you got to charge 6 and the vendor 12. If you do get into the quid pro quo thing , do it free or at cost , you gonna lose unless you have an ideal target market.

Phyllis Meyer
07-19-2006, 5:19 PM
Thanks to all who have responded so far, this forum is truly a help to us new people in the business, and I'm sure to the experienced as well:)! We are in that stage (2 months into this), where we have tried every material that can be lasered, have actually did some proposals on larger donor walls, walkways, and a lot of talk with groups about fundraising ideas. Now we wait (well every day is a new adventure), no-one has actually said those magic words: "YOU HAVE THE JOB"! Confident that they will ALL come in! I would love to be that busy!! Have a great evening everyone!

Sincerely,

Phyllis

Nadine Onze
02-07-2007, 11:07 AM
Another good fund raiser is silicone wristbands. They are always popular with young folks. If you've noticed some wear 5 or 6 of them. And when you can engrave their custom message it's even more special. I just finished 150 for a Church so they are not just for schools. Also dogtags do well. Just a thought.

Nick Napier
Napier's Laser Engraving
woodworknick@yahoo.com
Nick, were did you get the bracelets and how did you engrave them since they are not flat? Great Idea.

Nadine Onze

Phyllis Meyer
02-07-2007, 12:38 PM
With Nadine's question it brings this post back up. Neat because it was written by me when we only had our laser for 2 months. If anyone is interested, fundraising projects have worked great for us! If anyone wants to write personal, or discuss it here on the open forum, (don't want to bore anyone that isn't interested in this aspect). We got every bid that I spoke about in that first post (some took 8 months). Be patient everyone (this from a not so patient person:))! We just completed a few of them and I can say that each one has led to another lead.

I wanted to say something because we are in a very small town, and to let anyone that is struggling for ideas know that jobs are in your backyard! It's just like Laser Buzz is writing in his articles...Hospital, Clinics, Schools, Organizations...! They need your products, make them truly believe that!!!!!!!!!! Have a great day everyone!

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

James & Zelma Litzmann
02-09-2007, 8:01 AM
Good Morning Phyllis,

I am not sure how long you get to claim your a newbie, but we have about a year and a couple of months with our laser, our doors have been open about 7 months. Point being I think anyone that is as new at this as we are would love to hear your ideas and see it discussed open on the forum. I think there are several "newbies" that would benefit from this and the guy and gals that have experience usually will jump right in there and help out with their experiences too. Again I have to say this is THE greatest bunch of people I have ever come across.

God Bless,
Zelma

Tom Buzz Bernard
02-09-2007, 9:05 AM
Phyllis,
Glad to hear things are going well for you and that someone reads our articles :D

Did you notice they did not use my picture in the last article, me thinks they have found a way to draw more readers :eek:

Phyllis Meyer
02-09-2007, 3:53 PM
Tom,

I have to tell you, you are writing exactly what we are doing! I have been meaning to write you personally, but I want everyone to know that all of the articles you have written about a LASER standing by itself can make a profit is true! I don't want to argue with anyone, but we believe that from fundraising to selling on the street, everyone has the potential to sell their products!

The key...LOTS OF HARD WORK! Customers will not knock on our doors, take the products to them, never give up, if they say No, go to the next, and don't let the nay-sayers get you down.

We don't buy expensive machines to let them sit idle...we can't afford that, who can? Everyone you come in contact with is a potential customer! Everyone! I thought I would share one day a "a day in the life of Phyllis" and how I from the bank, grocery store, beauty shop, school, clinic, dog groomer...whatever...I will always find a way to bring up LASER ENGRAVING!! If there are any magazines out there that pay for articles I'm available (hey, gotta pay for this laser in any way we can):)!!

Have a great weekend everyone! Did you talk Laser with everyone you came in contact with today?

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

Brian Robison
02-09-2007, 4:20 PM
Where do I find Buzz's articles?

Jim Good
02-09-2007, 5:46 PM
Buzz has had articles in the past 2-3 issues in A&E if I remember correctly. They definitely get you excited at the possibilities!

Jim

Phyllis Meyer
02-11-2007, 3:38 PM
Thanks James and Zelma & the other folks that have PM'd me. You are a wonderful group of folks. I'll let you all know if the magazine/book people call:)! Have a great Sunday!

Sincerely,
Phyllis