PDA

View Full Version : Woopecker router plate source?

Jerry Olexa
07-19-2006, 10:36 AM
Pretty much decided on the Woodpecker Aluminum 3/8" router plate for my new router and table. But, I can only find one source: Woodpeck.com. I thought amazon sold them. Having trouble justifying the cost ($100+7 shipping)for a small piece of metal but can't find any other or at least one other source to compare before I pull the trigger. Are there any other places that carry this plate? Google doesn't show much?! Thanks in advance. Jerry

Bob Childress
07-19-2006, 10:58 AM
Jerry,

I'm pretty sure that Woodpecker's stuff is proprietary to them and not sold through other channels.:(

Scott Loven
07-19-2006, 11:12 AM
"Toolmama" on ebay sells woodpecker.
If you are going to spend that kind of money, why not go for the plunge lift?
http://www.woodpeck.com/plungelift.html

Larry Fox
07-19-2006, 11:22 AM
Scott, do you have any experience in dealing with Toolmama?

BTW: Jerry, I have the PlungeLift and have been very happy with it. Threads on lift rod are very fine and allow for really small and precise adjustments. Very well built piece.

Scott Loven
07-19-2006, 11:41 AM
No experience with TOOLMAMA, just saw them on a google search. They have a lot of feedback, so have been around a while.
Scott

Peter Pedisich
07-19-2006, 11:45 AM
I bought a Quicklift from Toolmama, which is Big Leroy's Tool Shack in Ft Meyers Florida. I visited his store/shop also...knowledgable guy and good deals.

Ken Garlock
07-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Ahh, come on Jerry, pop for the plate at Woodpecker's. Then, if you have any cutomer service issues, you can get them handled PDQ.

Allen Bookout
07-19-2006, 2:32 PM
I agree Jerry. That is a lot of money for a plate. But what are you going to do. You could try one out of another type of material but if it doesn't hold up then that money is just down the tubes.

There is one other option if you have not built your table top yet. If you are not going to swing large bits, say stay two inches or so max you could go the Pat Warner route. Here is what he did with his Milwaukee 5625.

http://patwarner.com/router_table.html

You already have an above the table height adjustment feature with the router anyway so just bolt it to the top.

Just a thought.

If you are going to swing larger bits we are right back where we started. I am glad that I have already made the decision and forked out the bucks. I try not to think about the money but one thing that I can say is that the Woodpecker aluminum plate and rings work great.

It is so much fun spending someone elses money!

Sorry Jerry! I got off of the origional question but am just trying to make you feel better.

Allen

Jim O'Dell
07-19-2006, 2:39 PM
Jerry, have you tried their specials page? I got my PRL from them on a scratch/dent type thing. It has a couple minor scratches and came with the full warranty. I think the regular price was 280 at that time, and coupled with an e-mail club coupon they had at the time, I got it for 190 or 200, don't remember for sure. Try it. They don't always have items listed, and not from all categories. Jim.

Larry Cooke
07-19-2006, 3:53 PM
Pretty much decided on the Woodpecker Aluminum 3/8" router plate for my new router and table. But, I can only find one source: Woodpeck.com.Jerry,

I had bought the plunge lift from Woodpecker for my M12V and it's a very nice lift for sure. Wookpecker makes a beautiful product and it works as good as it looks too.

I've been lurking on your threads here because I recently bought a 5625, why I don't know. But I'm in a similar situation as you, I have the 9-1/4 x 11-3/4 opening and now want a plate for the 5625 so I'm looking at Woodpecker also.

In your case, you just might want to look at the QRL, I know it's more than the plate only, but honestly I think you wouldn't regret it. I may sell my M12V and plunge lift and go this way personally. I really like the 5625 router more than the M12V.

Larry

Jerry Olexa
07-19-2006, 6:40 PM
No experience with TOOLMAMA, just saw them on a google search. They have a lot of feedback, so have been around a while.
Scott

Thanks Scott..Good tip...Hate to be a PITA but can't find them on Google or EBay...Of course, I'm a bit dense:) How can they be found? Thanks

glenn bradley
07-19-2006, 6:51 PM
My 5625 has given me no trouble on Rockler's 1/4" plate ($49) but I've only had it a little while. My 2HP ryobi is mounted in one too and has been trouble free for over a year and weighs one pound more than the Mil. If you already have the plate opening that fits the Woodpecker the Rockler standard plate is too small (8 X 11). They have a larger plate (1/4 x 9 x 13) but I have no experience with it.

Andy Haney
07-19-2006, 7:01 PM
Hi Jerry,

I have a Woodpecker Plungelift I'm thrilled with. Nothing similar in my past for comparison, but I doubt you'll be dissatisfied with W'pecker.

However, I have some experience with the customer service from Woodpeckers, and it can't be beat. If the difference is only a few dollars between them and another vendor, I think you'll be ahead by going with Woodpeckers due to the CS they are happy to provide.

Andy Haney

Jim O'Dell
07-19-2006, 8:04 PM
Jerry, sent you a pm. Jim.

Jerry Olexa
07-19-2006, 11:24 PM
Ahh, come on Jerry, pop for the plate at Woodpecker's. Then, if you have any cutomer service issues, you can get them handled PDQ.

Ken, I'm just a cheapskate at heart. I hate to put out +$100 for a metal plate but I prob'ly will later after I "research".:D :)

Jerry Olexa
07-19-2006, 11:25 PM
I agree Jerry. That is a lot of money for a plate. But what are you going to do. You could try one out of another type of material but if it doesn't hold up then that money is just down the tubes.

There is one other option if you have not built your table top yet. If you are not going to swing large bits, say stay two inches or so max you could go the Pat Warner route. Here is what he did with his Milwaukee 5625.

http://patwarner.com/router_table.html

You already have an above the table height adjustment feature with the router anyway so just bolt it to the top.

Just a thought.

If you are going to swing larger bits we are right back where we started. I am glad that I have already made the decision and forked out the bucks. I try not to think about the money but one thing that I can say is that the Woodpecker aluminum plate and rings work great.

It is so much fun spending someone elses money!

Sorry Jerry! I got off of the origional question but am just trying to make you feel better.

Allen

Sage advice...Thanks Allen

Jerry Olexa
08-10-2006, 11:27 AM
Ordered the Woodpecker Alum 3/8 plate today. Happened to have the $20 off sale:) . So i only feel 80% as bad...:) Thanks for your help. Its on its way to hold my new MW 5625!!