PDA

View Full Version : Jointer question

David Klug
09-24-2003, 12:00 AM
I picked up a Craftsman joiner make by King-Sealy model #103-23900. The pulley on the motor is 1 3/4 and the one on the joiner is 1 1/4. It seems to me that the cutters are running slow. The motor turns at 3450 rpms. Does this sound about right or should I put on a larger pulley on the motor. If so what size should I put on?

Dave

Mac McAtee
09-24-2003, 9:30 AM
I had a 6" Craftsman, don't remember the model number but the sheaves were the same diameter. Cutter head would run at the same speed as the motor.

You might try, calling a Sears parts department or going on line to Sears's web site and do a search for the model number and get a manual. Most of the time you can get the manual for free. It is a safety issue for them. They don't want to go to court and face that a person with one of their machines cut their fingers off had asked for a manual, with safety instructions in it, and they refused to give it to the customer.

You get the manual and you can find the max. safe cutter head speed and then size your sheaves to fit. Keep in mind that the belt will determine the smallest radius of the sheave it passes over. You can get that information from a bearings and drives company or someone on this forum that has the information. Once you know the smallest sheave size for the belt then you figgure the RPM of the cutter head in relation to the motor speed and choose your sheaves.

Eric Apple - Central IN
09-24-2003, 9:40 AM
I picked up a Craftsman joiner make by King-Sealy model #103-23900. The pulley on the motor is 1 3/4 and the one on the joiner is 1 1/4. It seems to me that the cutters are running slow. The motor turns at 3450 rpms. Does this sound about right or should I put on a larger pulley on the motor. If so what size should I put on?

Dave

Actually the cutter would be turning faster then the motor with this setup. The ratio is 1:1.4 so the cutter speed should be 4830 RPM with 3 blades that would be 14,490 cuts per minute. That sounds about right.

Lee Schierer
09-24-2003, 9:46 AM
If I figured it correctly, your cutter head is turning about 4830 rpm with the pulley combination you have. Most jointers turn at about 6,000 rpm with a three blade cutter head. You would need to go to a 2 to 2-1/4" pulley to get your speed up to 6000.

Steve Nelson
09-24-2003, 11:19 AM

Dave
David I have a copy of the manual for that jointer if you cant find it I would be glad to send or fax you a copy. Steve

David Klug
09-24-2003, 6:17 PM
David I have a copy of the manual for that jointer if you cant find it I would be glad to send or fax you a copy. Steve

Steve; I went on the Sears site and looked for a manual and I couldn't find anything so if you could send me a copy I would very much appreciate it. I get my faxes through e-fax and the # is 503-212-7311. Or you can mail it to me which ever is easier for you to do. Let me know how much it is and I'll send you a check. My address is

David Klug
5516 Babara Way
Carmichael, Ca. 95608