PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Blade Recommendation

Larry Cooke
07-19-2006, 1:06 AM
I recently put a bid on a Grizzly G0555 14" bandsaw and darn if I didn't win. This is a new one direct from Grizzly so I'm not too concerned about issues with the saw itself. I also ordered the riser block, I'm not really planning on resawing with it, but thought having the ability would be handy.

At any rate, I'm wondering what might be the best general purpose blade(s) to get for this saw? My immediate plans are using it for cutting curves mostly and will probably be cutting QS white oak or even some cherry.

My thoughts were to go with a 3/8" blade for everyday use and maybe have a 1/2" blade for possible resawing. I'd rather place one order and have what I need at hand rather than waiting and ordering when needing.

Oh, and yes I tried to do a search but for some darn reason searches with "bandsaw" brings back a tad too many hits - go figure.

Thanks,

Larry

Mark Singer
07-19-2006, 1:18 AM
A 1/2" 4 tpi is a good resaw and general purpose blade... I also like a 10tpi 1/2" for joints and a 3/8" 6 tpi for tighter curves

Vaughn McMillan
07-19-2006, 1:41 AM
Congrats on the new saw. A lot of folks have that saw and love it. Good thinking on the riser block, too. You will appreciate the extra capacity, even if resawing isn't on the radar right now.

In addition to what Mark mentioned, if you contact the folks at Suffolk Machinery (http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/) or Highland Hardware (http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp) and tell them what you plan to cut, they can make educated suggestions to you.

HTH -

- Vaughn

Chuck Trisdale
07-19-2006, 10:33 AM
I just got the same saw about a 2 weeks ago. I love it. Of course I was used to a BORG cheap saw. I also got the riser block. It was pretty easy to put together. The only step you really need help with is attaching the top wheel back on after installing the riser. It is pretty hard to hold it up and turn the nut at the same time (I did it, :eek: but I wouldnt recommend it).

I ordered 3 blades - all woodslicers. I ordered a 1/2 inch, 3/8 inch, and 3/4. The 3/4 hasnt been on the saw yet, but the others are really good blades. I am used to the cheap saw, so it is my only comparison, but this one cuts awesome. Congrats on the saw!!

Larry Cooke
07-19-2006, 11:55 AM
A 1/2" 4 tpi is a good resaw and general purpose blade... I also like a 10tpi 1/2" for joints and a 3/8" 6 tpi for tighter curvesMark,

Sounds like maybe two 1/2" blades would be a good choice, thanks for the suggestions.

Larry

Larry Cooke
07-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Congrats on the new saw. A lot of folks have that saw and love it. Good thinking on the riser block, too. You will appreciate the extra capacity, even if resawing isn't on the radar right now.

In addition to what Mark mentioned, if you contact the folks at Suffolk Machinery or Highland Hardware and tell them what you plan to cut, they can make educated suggestions to you.
Vaughn,

It didn't make sense not ordering the riser. For $49.00 it appears to be a bargain and besides I know me, I'd end up ordering it later then have to buy new blades to fit. Might as well start off on the right foot and save myself some money.

I forgot to mention that I was going to call Suffolk, I wasn't sure if they would know what kind of blade to choose, I know I'm being vague here with my needs but to be honest this is my first bandsaw so I'm not 100% sure what all I'll be using it for.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Larry

Larry Cooke
07-19-2006, 12:11 PM
I just got the same saw about a 2 weeks ago. I love it. Of course I was used to a BORG cheap saw. I also got the riser block. It was pretty easy to put together. The only step you really need help with is attaching the top wheel back on after installing the riser. It is pretty hard to hold it up and turn the nut at the same time (I did it, but I wouldnt recommend it).

I ordered 3 blades - all woodslicers. I ordered a 1/2 inch, 3/8 inch, and 3/4. The 3/4 hasnt been on the saw yet, but the others are really good blades. I am used to the cheap saw, so it is my only comparison, but this one cuts awesome. Congrats on the saw!!Chuck,

This is my first, to be honest I really didn't think I'd win the auction. I've bid on it before so wasn't expecting it. There have been times I really wanted one, but got by with a jig saw. It definitely takes longer with a jig saw since all I have here is an older craftsman. It works, but...

I'll get my son to help when I set it up, I do have an engine hoist so any real heavy lifting will be done with that (assuming it's even that heavy.)

I thought about a 3/4 blade, but I was concerned the saw may not tension it properly. I'd be interested in knowing how it works for you. I know a wider blade is more desirable for resawing, so I may have to add that to my list.

Thanks for your tips!

Larry

chris del
07-19-2006, 12:28 PM
It was smart to get the riser block right away (even if you dont do allot of re-sawing) so that your can start to build a inventory of the correct lenght blades.
It is always best to use the widest blade possible for each size of radius.
Blades are cheap. I would reccomend 1/4" , 3/8" and 1/2 as starters....3/4" - 3 or 4tpi would be the best for re-saw.
For less than $100.00 you can have a complete set of blades....

Chuck Trisdale
07-19-2006, 12:40 PM
Larry, your first saw sure is a heck of a lot better than mine was. When I went to buy this one, I almost bought the 17 inch floor Grizzly. The reasons I went with this one is that I could get the riser kit for it, it was cheaper, and I am moving back to Jackson MS in 2 years (I didnt want to lug the bigger one home - and I have a real shop there). I will probably buy a real floor standing then. I think if you have the room, having a couple is a good idea. That way you can leave different blades on for different applications.

The top isnt that heavy, but it is awkward work for one. You literally only need help for a couple of minutes.

Larry Cooke
07-19-2006, 3:05 PM
It was smart to get the riser block right away (even if you dont do allot of re-sawing) so that your can start to build a inventory of the correct lenght blades.
It is always best to use the widest blade possible for each size of radius.
Blades are cheap. I would reccomend 1/4" , 3/8" and 1/2 as starters....3/4" - 3 or 4tpi would be the best for re-saw.
For less than $100.00 you can have a complete set of blades....Thanks Chris, sometimes I do the right first. Not often mind you but it happens just enough to keep me coming back for more. :)

I agree, blades are cheap and I plan on arming myself as well as I can. I hadn't thought about a 1/4 so I'll add that to my list too.

Thanks!

Larry

Larry Cooke
07-19-2006, 3:13 PM
Larry, your first saw sure is a heck of a lot better than mine was. When I went to buy this one, I almost bought the 17 inch floor Grizzly. The reasons I went with this one is that I could get the riser kit for it, it was cheaper, and I am moving back to Jackson MS in 2 years (I didnt want to lug the bigger one home - and I have a real shop there). I will probably buy a real floor standing then. I think if you have the room, having a couple is a good idea. That way you can leave different blades on for different applications.Chuck,

To be honest, I was going to order the G0513X (I think that's the model) as my saw, but I started thinking that I'm not 100% sure I'll be doing that much resawing and I also have read where a lot of people that do a lot of resawing they also tend to keep a smaller saw on hand for the normal cuts to save time on changing blades. So for me it made more sense to start smaller and work my way up. I also knew that adding a riser later would mean replacing any blades I already had so this was an easy decision too. Hopefully this saw will help me learn the ropes of using a bandsaw.

Thanks,

Larry