PDA

View Full Version : Many thanks to www.philadelphiafurnitureworkshop.com

David Rose
07-18-2006, 11:25 PM
Today's mail brought the screws that I needed for the blanket chest! Alan Turner had responded to my difficult hunt for the screws. They were sent by Philadelphia Furniture Workshop, LLC. Hmmm... suspicious connection... :rolleyes: What a shop! They offer several courses that make me wish I either lived closer or got paid vacations. :(

I think there was a horrible mistake though. I told Alan I needed 18 screws, but could use 20 in case of damage. Jeeze! The mail only brought 35! That beats Lee Valley's service! :D

Thanks so much Philadelphia Furniture Workshop!

David

Roy Wall
07-18-2006, 11:30 PM
Alan Turner is a excellent wood worker........and loves to teach!!! Some day I'll get to Philly and take a class!!

John Stevens
07-19-2006, 7:00 AM
Alan Turner is a excellent wood worker........and loves to teach!!! Some day I'll get to Philly and take a class!!

As gifted a teacher as he is a woodworker, and generously willing to help his fellow woodworkers.

As a newbie, I had the privilege to take Alan's intro course on hand tools, and I can't begin to guess how many hours and dollars I saved by not having to learn by trial and error. A wonderful return on my time and tuition, in addition to having the pleasure of getting to know Alan.

Alan Turner
07-19-2006, 8:51 PM
So, I give a guy a few screws, and this is what happens. Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Aan Turner
PFW

David Rose
07-19-2006, 11:35 PM
Alan,

I think folks have already seen what you have to offer. I doubt that much of it had anything to do with "a few screws". All I can say is that I wish I could take advantage of the hands on experience from a guy who is "there" for more than just the bucks and has great talent and skill.

I'm into my 5th or 6th year of what you might call "self taught" woodworking. I don't call it that, because of what places like the Creek, people like Alan, and many books have taught me. But I'm sure that I've worked 10x as hard as I needed to. Hands on experience is the very best teacher. But a teacher can give you the same info quickly. So many "tips" are struggled with for years, only to find out that some guy would have showed it to you, if he'd known you wanted it. When you build a complete project, you will *see* those shortcuts/tips that don't compromise anything but time and energy. I've built tons of router fixtures that I've trashed because there was a much better way. And I defnitely have several others that were worth their weight in gold.

David, who believes that *good* educators are a major part of education

So, I give a guy a few screws, and this is what happens. Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Aan Turner
PFW

Alan Turner
07-20-2006, 6:02 AM
David,

Thanks again.

To all SMC Members:

I bought about 2000 lbs of traditional wood screws from a closing pattern shop in Conn. last year. Total price was $50. I didn't really want to do it, but they seller wanted them gone, and treated me quite fairly for other tools I had bought from him. So I took them. It took two trucks to get the tools back to Philadelphia anyway, so the screws did not have any shipping expense associated with them.

If anyone needs traditional wood screws, let me know, and if I have them, they are yours. All are slotted, many are without the zinc plated finish. They are cut threads, I believe. Most sizes are #8 through #20. The 18's and 20's are a bit hard to find. Unplated are also hard to find. The largest is a #20 x 5". Most are flat head; some, esp. the #16's, are round head. I iwll say it took a while to get them sorted and drawered, but I had been given 5 metal cabinets for stroring artist supplies, each with 27 drawers, and most are now filled, the screws are sorted and labeled. Coming out of the shop, they were already sorted pretty much, with many in the original boxes.

Patternmakers generally turned these screws in with a slotted driver bit chucked into a hand brace, and this is quite efficient as a cordless tool!