PDA

View Full Version : Great service from woodcraft.

Don Baer
07-18-2006, 7:57 PM
In the move I misplaced my worm screw for my Oneway chuck. Last Saturday I went to Rockler where I bought the chuck and was told I'd have to get a replacement from Oneway since they didn't carry them. Today I went to Woodcraft in Chandler and asked them if they carried them. They said no but they'd sell me one from one of the chucks they had in the display case. The opened up the box from a new chuck removed the screw from it. Pulled the chuck from stock and sold me the new one for $21.00 Now thats service.:)

Lee DeRaud
07-18-2006, 8:53 PM
One thing to remember when dealing with these two stores is that Woodcraft is a franchise and Rockler is company-owned: the guy at Woodcraft can do things the guy at Rockler can't, because he owns the store.

Jim Hinze
07-19-2006, 6:59 AM
One thing to remember when dealing with these two stores is that Woodcraft is a franchise and Rockler is company-owned: the guy at Woodcraft can do things the guy at Rockler can't, because he owns the store.

Lee, I think *IMHO* your partially right. Rockler being a corporate owned store has more resources and lee-way to do a better job at customer service if they choose to... I've seen the rockler store near me do similar things for customers...

Woodcraft, being owned by an individual is actually hurting himself by taking it out of stock, but realized in the long runm, now has a loyal customer.

Lee DeRaud
07-19-2006, 10:42 AM
Lee, I think *IMHO* your partially right. Rockler being a corporate owned store has more resources and lee-way to do a better job at customer service if they choose to... I've seen the rockler store near me do similar things for customers...

Woodcraft, being owned by an individual is actually hurting himself by taking it out of stock, but realized in the long runm, now has a loyal customer.I was speaking more of the autonomy of the local worker-bees: if decisions are being second-guessed by a corporate office on the other side of the country, they will tend to be more conservative.

Mike Jory
07-19-2006, 11:25 AM
Don, the Woodcraft in my area was Corporate until a owner stepped up and purchased the Franchise. When corporate, the store had less inventory, helpful but kind of limited employees. When Franchised, inventory took off, store atmosphere changed, new classes and weekly demos developed. And as everyone knows, occasioanl incentives come in the mail, inviting you to come spend $$$. More now than before. Infact the owner said recently, "wait- come back in a couple weeks, that item will be on sale." Or maybe he'd sell it to me for the sale price before the event.

I chatted with the owner of the noticeable improvements and that led to an interesting conversation.
I said I could purchase almost all of the items I wanted over the internet, and have from time to time. But mostly choose to shop at the retail store for a couple reasons.
1, To do my part in keeping that kind of specialty store, the only one in my area, in business. And to compete with Rockler 30 miiles away.
2. I realize I'm paying retail prices to shop there. At the same time, to build up and continue a relationship with the store to service my needs. Sounds kind of korny, but I've easily returned items within one year, received very friendly service and advice.

I know I'm not special, and this service applies to everyone who shops there. The store is included in the mix of choices.
Mike

John Kain
07-19-2006, 11:36 AM
Don, the Woodcraft in my area was Corporate until a owner stepped up and purchased the Franchise. When corporate, the store had less inventory, helpful but kind of limited employees. When Franchised, inventory took off, store atmosphere changed, new classes and weekly demos developed. And as everyone knows, occasioanl incentives come in the mail, inviting you to come spend $$$. More now than before. Infact the owner said recently, "wait- come back in a couple weeks, that item will be on sale." Or maybe he'd sell it to me for the sale price before the event.

I chatted with the owner of the noticeable improvements and that led to an interesting conversation.
I said I could purchase almost all of the items I wanted over the internet, and have from time to time. But mostly choose to shop at the retail store for a couple reasons.
1, To do my part in keeping that kind of specialty store, the only one in my area, in business. And to compete with Rockler 30 miiles away.
2. I realize I'm paying retail prices to shop there. At the same time, to build up and continue a relationship with the store to service my needs. Sounds kind of korny, but I've easily returned items within one year, received very friendly service and advice.

I know I'm not special, and this service applies to everyone who shops there. The store is included in the mix of choices.
Mike

I can only dream about having a Rockler or Woodcraft in my town. You can bet I'd support them (and the know-how they offer) with my money rather than online. I have no problem paying a little more to support folks close to home who provide a worthwhile service to the community.

Mike Vickery
07-19-2006, 1:54 PM
One of the things I like about the woodcraft Don mentioned is if you are a member of the AZ woodturners club you get a 10% discount on all non power tools. I love that they support the local craftsmen. Their are a couple of people their that do not know any thing but they know enough to get one of the guys that does when you ask a question.

John Miliunas
07-19-2006, 2:57 PM
OK, time to put a plug in for our own Madison, WI store. I've worked there (part time) since January and had been a very regular customer for a number of years before that. This is a franchised store, which does give us the flexibility to do some "special" stuff for our customers and even carry items not otherwise available through Corporate.

The thing which had always impressed me with this store and still continues to is, the Customer Service mentality of the staff. Among other things, each and every staffer is her/himself involved with one or more aspects of woodworking. Typically, we'll have someone on the floor with enough expertise in a particular field to help out just about anyone who walks in. :) Oh, and we're not afraid of pointing folks in the direction of a different supplier/vendor if we feel their needs can be better served there! After all, they put their trust in us to give them solid advice and it's been our experience that, they'll do it again and we end up with another sale or more. It's just works best that way for both, the store and the customer! :D

As for Don's issue with the worm screw, I had a similar experience with WC before I ever started working there. Just purchased the nice Dewalt scroll saw and, with a week, the lower blade hold-down just wouldn't grab the blade properly. I called the store with my problem and was told I could either bring the whole machine in or just the part. I chose to just bring the part. Once there, the manager took me into the back room, where he opened up a fresh scroll saw box, removed the part and handed it to me! :D Now, in reality, once that saw leaves the store, it's Dewalt's problem to deal with me directly in resolving the issue. Had he not had another saw there, I would have probably had to deal directly w/Dewalt. But even so, this was not something he had to do for me. Trust me, I've left a LOT of my $$$$ at that store and that's just one of the reasons why! :)

For me, such items are of significance. Far too often, I've walked into the tool department (for instance) of the local HD and the person "assigned" to the area didn't know the difference between a bar clamp and a vise grip!!! Pretty sad, IMHO! Granted, they usually are pretty good about exchanging stuff but, if you're looking for recommendations based on experience or knowledge, you may be out of luck at the Borg. :( :cool:

Andy Hoyt
07-19-2006, 3:56 PM
Side Bar Your Honor?

When I stopped in at the Parkersburg, WV Woodcraft store last month I enjoyed a great conversation with Fred and Betty (the two staffers present). I'm always curious about business arrangements and stuff (up here - it's called being nosy) and also wanted to brag that I'd been to the Woburn, MA store long before most woodworkers had ever heard of Parkersburg.

Anyway, I learned that the P'burg store is the last company owned WC in the country and will likely stay that way since it also serves as the sales and management training center for new franchise owners and staffers.

Tom Jones III
07-19-2006, 4:22 PM
I've got exactly the opposite experience. Woodcraft is a good 45' drive one way. When I needed a tool ASAP I called around. My usual store (a great one) Cutting Edge didn't have it. Rocklers 20' away didn't have it. Woodcraft said they had it. I told them I would be driving 1.5 hours are they sure? He said he was holding it in his hands. When I get there it turns out they don't even sell it let alone have it in his hands! This is not the first time that something like that happened so they are the last place I will go.

On the good side, Cutting Edge in Houston is a great store. Prices range from good to reasonable. They don't carry a lot of the smaller things like hinges and screws but they have a good selection of tools, esp. turning tools. Most importantly they have excellent experience and will take a long time working with you to get you exactly what you need. I bought a router bushing from them but had a hard time getting it to work correctly. Finally I brought in the router and bushing for help. The owner pulled out some tools and we got it working great right then.

Art Mulder
07-19-2006, 4:39 PM
I told them I would be driving 1.5 hours are they sure? He said he was holding it in his hands. When I get there it turns out they don't even sell it let alone have it in his hands! This is not the first time that something like that happened so they are the last place I will go.

That's when I'd be penning a letter to the corporate headquarters. Mistakes are understandable, but as you tell it, it sounds like laziness at best.

I quite liked visiting a Woodcraft the last time I was in Grand Rapids, MI. Nice store. But then, I'm fortunate to have a Lee Valley store here in London Ontario, as well as a very nice local tool store.

John Miliunas
07-19-2006, 4:51 PM
That's when I'd be penning a letter to the corporate headquarters. Mistakes are understandable, but as you tell it, it sounds like laziness at best.

I totally agree with Art on this one! Even independantly owned WC stores are still subject to rules, regulations and yes, their attitude toward customer service! :) :cool: