PDA

View Full Version : Miter Saw Stand

Larry Anderson
07-18-2006, 7:03 PM
I have a friend who just got a Makita LS1013 and wants a portable stand for it. He was looking at this one from Ridgid. http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/AC9940-MSUV/
Any experiences or alternatives welcomed.

tod evans
07-18-2006, 7:06 PM
larry, i use trojans stand, haven`t found a better one yet....02 tod

[edit] link; http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000224RH/qid=1153263429/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-7035040-5780753?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=228013

Gary Herrmann
07-18-2006, 7:08 PM
Larry, I picked that one up when it was on sale at HD. I just finished a project where I used my miter saw on the stand quite a bit, and I am very happy with it.

Dave Falkenstein
07-18-2006, 7:19 PM
I like the Dewalt stand - portable and durable.

Vaughn McMillan
07-18-2006, 7:56 PM
I bought the Ridgid MSUV on sale for about $100, and I'm very impressed with how substantial it is for a hundred bucks. (Worth the list price, IMHO.) It's very stout and I've used it for my miter saw, lunchbox planer, and benchtop mortiser.

- Vaughn

Forrest Price
07-18-2006, 7:59 PM
Ditto on the Ridgid. Have one and couldn't be happier! Easy to use.

Larry Anderson
07-18-2006, 10:52 PM
Thanks to all for the speedy replies. My favorite place to learn and get opinions.

Kevin Murdock
07-18-2006, 11:05 PM
All,

I have both the Makita LS1013 and the Rigid MSUV. It's a great setup.

I always wonder if there would be a problem with storing the setup in the "up right" position, meaning that the saw it up on it's side, secured to the stand.

I'm concerned that it might put un-due, un-designed stress on the saw. And miter saws haw a lot of moving parts and indents for common miters.

Am I being to worried?

Thanks,
/Kevin

Norman Hitt
07-19-2006, 4:13 AM
All,

I have both the Makita LS1013 and the Rigid MSUV. It's a great setup.

I always wonder if there would be a problem with storing the setup in the "up right" position, meaning that the saw it up on it's side, secured to the stand.

I'm concerned that it might put un-due, un-designed stress on the saw. And miter saws haw a lot of moving parts and indents for common miters.

Am I being to worried?

Thanks,
/Kevin

Kevin, I wouldn't think it would be a problem with the Makita. I too bought the Rigid Stand when they were on sale at HD, and I love it. I keep my DW-705 stored in the UPRIGHT position on it all the time when it is not in use, and there has been no problem at all. Just turn the saw to the 45* mitre position and lock the mitre and slider in place before you fold the stand up, like the instructions say, and it will be fine.

Per Swenson
07-19-2006, 6:03 AM
Here you go,

Rigid Mitre saw stand, sawhelper fence, ls 1214 makita.

Whole deal sets up off the truck and on the job 5 mins tops.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19422&highlight=mitre+stand

Per

Frank Fusco
07-19-2006, 9:09 AM
What's the price? Grizzly has a nice one for under $90.00.

Mike Alagna
07-19-2006, 10:09 AM
I built my own stand. I made a platforn out of 3/4 ply. The bottom sheet is the width of the saw and and about 6 feet long. The i made two boxes the size of the front edge to the depth of the fence with the back part the same height of the fence. I attach these two boxes on either side of the saw. I now have miter saw table that i sit on two folding saw horses. It works great. I can store tools like coping saws in teh hollow ends of the little boxes when i am not using them on a job site so they are always where i want them and I have a nice solid surface to work on for coping etc.

tod evans
07-19-2006, 10:19 AM
What's the price? Grizzly has a nice one for under $90.00.

well frank the made in america one i recomended is close to three bills... i suppose everybody can spend their dollars supporting whomever they choose....cost isn`t everything and the old addage "you get what you pay for" wasn`t coined by total idiots......02 tod

Greg Sznajdruk
07-19-2006, 10:20 AM
I have the Ridgid Stand and a DW715 works great. Big advantage are the wheels which allow it to climb or descend stairs or to pull up on my Curb Sider Truck.

Greg

Scott Thornton
07-20-2006, 12:58 AM
The best miter saw stand made is the American Design and Engineering stand. Without question or argument, it can't be beat. Setup and teardown is easy or, like me, it's always setup.

The key thing you need is a continuous table, don't get a cheap stand with rollers, your work will be much better with a continous table.

The AD&E is hands down superior to anything on the market, that's without a doubt.

BTW, they're expensive...

Frank Fusco
07-20-2006, 10:05 AM
well frank the made in america one i recomended is close to three bills... i suppose everybody can spend their dollars supporting whomever they choose....cost isn`t everything and the old addage "you get what you pay for" wasn`t coined by total idiots......02 tod

Hi Tod, can't argue what you say. I'm a devoted flag waver but, unfortunately, must also pay alligence to my wallet. What works best is a matter of our needs and point of view. You might give your particular tool a hard work out daily. For the stand in question, I might use it a couple hours a month. It does not please me to be supporting the Chinese. But, fact is, my shop would be largely empty if I had to pay only American or European prices for tools. Scott advised against use of rollers on a stand. Can't argue that either. But you gotta do what you gotta do. Grizzly stand I referred to is below. I've seen them, and for the money ($90.00), a great item, very sturdy and usable in the home shop.

Frank Howell
07-20-2006, 5:46 PM
Hey Larry,
I also have the Ridgid SUV Stand and I love it to death. I keep a DW-708 on it, which weighs a ton and store it vertically with no problems. The only down side is trying to load it in the truck by my self. With the saw on it, it's a real beast.

On the up side though, the large wheels allow me to roll it anywhere I need to go, even up or down stairs, easily.

Adam Payne
07-20-2006, 6:59 PM
I have the Delta 36-136 under my Makita LS1013F slider. It's a great stand, with a gas strut to assist in setup/stowage. It's got sort of a hand truck design, like the Ridgid MSUV but beefier. I just couldn't imagine I'd be successful with the style that looks like casters on a spindly metal sawhorse--I'm sure I'd drop the saw in short order. The extendable roller stands (max about 8 ft end to end) are very useful--in fact used the stand (sans saw) for glue-up and clamping of a 7-foot red oak cornice I made for the dining room. I plan to split its duties now between the slider and the new Makita 2012nb planer from the last round of inventory reduction (thanks again Amazon).

It's been great in the garage to reduce the storage footprint and provide rapid mobility (generally from stored to deployed in less than 30 seconds, most of which is spent moving stuff out of the path--actual unfolding is closer to 2.5 sec). I got mine during one of Amazon's "sale on top of another sale, plus, hey here's a free recip saw deals," so it was around $160 at the time (250 right now). Well worth the premium over the Grizz and others like it. The Ridgid MSUV was a strong contender, but wasn't stocked at HD at the time (they seem to be back now) and Amazon really sweetened the deal.