PDA

View Full Version : Corel ???

John Minton
07-18-2006, 2:32 PM
Hello All

I have been using a product called metalsoft for 13 years and Autocad for 5 years but I am new to coreldraw 12. So please forgive me if this is a stupid question. Words like bozo, jerk & butthead will only make me feel worse.
I have been drawing but I am having trouble with fills. I believe that it has to do with open paths. But when I am drawing I have snap to objects turned on and it is working but when I go to fill it won't. If I play with it for a while I will sometime fix it but I don't know how. If I use "close path" it shows what I think the problem areas are. But when I zoom in I am not sure what to do.

I have attached the file I was working today

Stop Laughing
John

Mike Null
07-18-2006, 3:25 PM
While we're waiting for somebody who really knows what they're talking about. I suggest that you start over by drawing your stylized "C" or find a C in the font file that is close, convert it to curves and use the shape tool (second down on the left) to stylize the c. Then duplicate it (+ or control d), flip the duplicate and position it (select both and hit e, that will make them even and move them closer with the arrow keys)

Then select both and from the menu bar select simplify, weld, trim or which ever will do what you want. Then select and fill.

As I look at your drawing there are segments unconnected hence no fill but part of the drawing seems to have a duplicate line as well.

Now if this didn't succeed in confusing you it has me.

Wil Lambert
07-18-2006, 3:26 PM
John,

Here is you file fixed for you. The easiest way I have found to do this is pick all the outside curves at once and doa "combine" which is "ctrl + L". After that use the node editing tool to fix the nodes that are not connected. they are normally the ones with the larger square on them. If you have any other questions about it I will try and explain more.

Wil

John Minton
07-18-2006, 4:08 PM
Thanks for the file

I have noticed that when I draw a straight line and connect to a curve if you zoom in it looks like pie shaped pcs missing from mine but not yours. the center of the line and curve are connected but the pie is still missing. I am sure it is something I have not learned yet.

thanks again

John

Wil Lambert
07-18-2006, 6:31 PM
If I understand what you are asking you still have a node that is not connected properly. You can go around to each node and try to move it if it not connected only one side of the line/ curve will move. If only one side move just move it back until the node snaps to the other end to create a connection. If both side move just undo to put it back. they are connected if this happens.

The curves must be combined to have this work. I have included a picture to show the differences in the connected and unconnected nodes.

I hope this helps.

Wil

Hale Reider
07-18-2006, 8:11 PM
Click on the object you want to fill, then use the shape tool to select it and make it look like broken lines. Then right click on it. If you have an option for Auto-close, then it is an open path. Auto-close can be a pain if you have more than one break in an outline. But it is a quick way to make sure everything is closed. If it goes funky, then hit undo. Control Z (undo) is my favorite, almost automatic, shortcut now. I did not know what it was before I had Corel Draw.

Hale Reider
Tobecherished.com