PDA

View Full Version : How to build a basic rocking chair?

Andy Fox
07-18-2006, 2:27 PM
I would like to learn how to build a basic rocker, maybe with a Maloof style, but only where it doesn't get too complex. Does anyone know of any resources that might get me started, such as web sites, books, plans, videos, etc?

What's the trick to getting all of those angled, curved, odd-shaped pieces to fit together accurately?

Mike Henderson
07-18-2006, 2:47 PM
The terms "basic rocker" and "Maloof style" really don't go together. If you've never built a rocker before, I would suggest that you start with a Craftsman style rocker first. After you work out all the bugs in that style, you can progress to a Maloof style rocker. Woodwork had a two part article on a craftsman style rocker a few months back.

You can find some notes I put together on a couple of rockers I made here (http://members.cox.net/mnh-overflow/Papers/2006-02-21%20Construction%20Tips.pdf). And if you send me a PM with your e-mail address, I'll send you some pointers to a few articles on rockers. They are a fun project to build and very rewarding as a finished product.

Mike

Richard Wolf
07-18-2006, 6:19 PM
The terms "basic rocker" and "Maloof style" really don't go together.
Mike
I agree with Mike about that. I would suggest a shaker style rocker, which is pretty easy if you can turn dowels or even purchase long dowels in cherry or maple.
If you do decide to go to the Maloof style, Hal Taylor has great plans and instructions with some templates for sale on his website, www.Haltaylor.com, I believe. Price wise, let me warns you, they are not cheap, either is the materials for a Maloof style rocker. But the plans and instructions are the only real way someone could build a rocker like that without help from someone with experience.
If you would like some more feed back on the Hal Taylor plans, let me know.

Richard

Dana Van Pelt
07-18-2006, 10:04 PM
I invite you to please take a look at www.aswrs.com (http://www.aswrs.com)

We are pleased that Andy Chidwick will be teaching a class on building your own "Maloof" style rocker here at American Sycamore August 14-23.
This will be a great class and an opportunity to learn from one of the finst craftmans of today.

Saturday August 19th 2006 ....We will be hosting an Open House and reception for Andy Chidwick, Dale Barnard, Mark Spagnuolo, Dennis Maddox, and other instructors. This would be a great opportunity to meet the instructors and view their work, You will be able to visit the class room and see the rockers in progress.

Mike

Don Baer
07-19-2006, 1:04 AM
I would like to learn how to build a basic rocker, maybe with a Maloof style, but only where it doesn't get too complex. Does anyone know of any resources that might get me started, such as web sites, books, plans, videos, etc?

What's the trick to getting all of those angled, curved, odd-shaped pieces to fit together accurately?

While I agree with Mike that building a Mallof style rocker is NOT a basic Rocker I think that aspiring to have the skill to build one is a worthy aspiration. I had the previlidge (along with 6 other creekers) to attend a workshop at Sams studio conducted by the master himself. He is indeed a master and a great teacher. I have made a Maloof Pedistal table (you can find a thead detailing how to do this on this post http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26546 on this forum) He also covered how to make his low back chairs and finally his rocker. In the not to distant future I plan on making both of those. The move I am in the middle of has kept me from building the two chairs but when I am in my new shop they are both on my short list. The tools to do it are very simple. All you need a a table saw and dadoo blade, band saw, router some hand rasps, clamps and an electric drill and a lot of patience. If you want to learn more about the joinery used in the chairs get Sam book "Sam Maloof,Woodworker" it $50 and you can order it from his web sight at www.malooffoundation.org (http://www.malooffoundation.org) it details how to do the leg to seat joints. Or is you want you can take a workshop at the Maloof compound in Alta loma, CA. I believe the next one will be in Nov. You can find out by contacting UC Riverside, they can let you know for sure. Theres nothing like learning from the master himself. I hope to attend another of his workshop while he is still around.(He's 90 years old as of last Jan.)
One thing Sam stressed in his class was don't be afraid to try new things.

Mark Rios
07-19-2006, 3:09 AM
I like the rockers with the horsey heads and the springs.

Alan DuBoff
07-19-2006, 3:54 AM
The terms "basic rocker" and "Maloof style" really don't go together.QFT.

You can find some notes I put together on a couple of rockers I made here (http://members.cox.net/mnh-overflow/Papers/2006-02-21%20Construction%20Tips.pdf). And if you send me a PM with your e-mail address, I'll send you some pointers to a few articles on rockers. They are a fun project to build and very rewarding as a finished product.I love Mike's rocker, really tasty. I like it much better than some of the more petite, cutesy type stuff, but is all preference.

Do you laminate the back pieces and sides under the arms, Mike? I wasn't sure if you rasp those or laminated to get the bend. This would be a good project for folks to follow and build online (wink-wink-nudge-nudge). I'd like to build a rocker, as I would the many other projects on my list...;-)

Maloof has an interesting way of working. He uses power tools a lot, as a means of quickly getting rid of material. Not a bad way to look at woodworking, IMO, because he finishes a lot with rasps and/or other hand tools. He figures out what he needs to do for hogging off the waste, be it a bandsaw or router, or power sander, gets it all out of the way and then does the detail work by hand. I'm sure Maloof thinks about it differently, but that's how I think about it when I see him work that way.

I have his video, which is good, and gives some insight into him. A wonderful woodworker and his house is a wonderful place...really unique inside from some of the pics they show.

His work is anything but basic. Even the way he dowels and cuts his seats, very interesting technique that is very effective and saves a lot of hoggin'...;)

Andy Fox
07-19-2006, 11:17 AM
Thank you all. I think I've got enough to get off to a good start.

Don, thanks for pointing me to the thread about your table. It was interesting to see the process and progress of doing what I'm thinking about doing. And, it looks like it turned out great.

Mark, I actually might try to build some rockers with horsey heads and springs too for my kids! :)

Don Baer
07-19-2006, 11:31 AM
Maloof has an interesting way of working. He uses power tools a lot, as a means of quickly getting rid of material. Not a bad way to look at woodworking, IMO, because he finishes a lot with rasps and/or other hand tools. He figures out what he needs to do for hogging off the waste, be it a bandsaw or router, or power sander, gets it all out of the way and then does the detail work by hand. I'm sure Maloof thinks about it differently, but that's how I think about it when I see him work that way.

Actualy Sam would agree with you. He stated several time during the workshop that if your going to make any money building furniture you have to work fast. Lee DeRaud asked Sam if he'd ever used a spokeshave instead of a Rasp to shape the legs, with that Sam went over to a cabinate, took out a spokeshave and took a few swipes, he tosssed it aside and continued towork with the rasp and remarked, "Thats to slow". He always sressed that one should use what ever tool will get the job done the best way is what you use. He is a pleasure to watch work, very little wasted motion.

Mike Henderson
07-19-2006, 1:00 PM
Do you laminate the back pieces and sides under the arms, Mike? I wasn't sure if you rasp those or laminated to get the bend. This would be a good project for folks to follow and build online (wink-wink-nudge-nudge). I'd like to build a rocker, as I would the many other projects on my list...;-)

Alan, yes, I laminate bend the back and side pieces from three 1/8 inch laminae. If I were going to build another rocker, I'd be happy to document it, but my wife will throw me out of the house if I bring more furniture in. I need to sell the one I have now before I build another. And, of course, if I did build another, I'd change the design. I'm always searching for a new look.

I agree with you and Don about Sam's approach to woodworking - he's extremely pragmatic. On one visit to his shop, I asked him what size stock he made an arm from. I figured that it would take a very thick piece of wood because of the strong curve of the arm. He replied, "I make it our of 8/4. I cut the inside curve on the bandsaw and then I glue the cutoff on the other side of the arm to make the curve on that side."

Cutoffs that can't be used on a chair are used for the base of a small table.

Sam sure practices "Waste not, want not". He obviously struggled financially in the early years and couldn't waste anything. Great guy, wonderful role model.

Mike

Don Baer
07-19-2006, 1:04 PM
I figured that it would take a very thick piece of wood because of the strong curve of the arm. He replied, "I make it our of 8/4. I cut the inside curve on the bandsaw and then I glue the cutoff on the other side of the arm to make the curve on that side."

Cutoffs that can't be used on a chair are used for the base of a small table.

Sam sure practices "Waste not, want not". He obviously struggled financially in the early years and couldn't waste anything. Great guy, wonderful role model.

Mike

Yes he showed us that teqnique when he showed us how to make the low back chair.