PDA

View Full Version : plane part needed

Ken Werner
07-18-2006, 2:15 PM
I am restoring a #8 Union plane. The threaded rod which adjusts blade depth has damaged threads [DAMHIKT]. I think this should be interchangeable with numerous other bench planes. I'd be very grateful if someone has an old part they'd be willing to send my way. I'd be happy to pay for it.

I tried to run the rod through a die, but it seems to be a fairly unique thread size, something like 1/4 - 32 or so, and none of my dies match.

Thanks,

Ken

Jake Darvall
07-23-2006, 8:21 AM
I've got a few parts lying about in the shed. I'll have a look tomorrow. Can't promise anything.

1/4 x 32.......hey, it doesn't look too bad in the photo. Maybe a stupid question.....but have you tried dropping a thin file around those areas that are damaged ? ....I often fix threads that way, to at least working order....

.also, unlikely, but maybe worth checking, is , are you shore the brass nut adjuster that goes on this bolt is meant to be there ? .....I only ask, because in the past, I discovered after much frustration, that someone had forced a part from a different plane onto the plane I was restoring.....which was the reason why it wouldn't wind on , and not there being damage to the thread.

goodluck.

harry strasil
07-23-2006, 8:36 AM
A triangular jewelers file, works real well, takes patience and time, but.

Jeff Horton
07-23-2006, 9:30 AM
One of the handiest things in my shop (for mechanical work) is a thread file. Square file with 8 different thread pitches ground on it. It is the same profile as the threads and you can clean up one in no time. Perfect for cleaning up something like that. And you will use it over and over.

I found mine locally so I don't have a source but I am sure a quick bit of Googling with turn up a supplier.

Ken Werner
07-23-2006, 10:45 AM
I've looked locally for a thread file without success. Did find some thru google. I didn't know I could do it with a jeweler's file. That's a great idea. Fortunately, I did get a response from a Creeker with a spare, and it should be on its way.

As usual, ask at the Creek, and get lots of good answers, including at least one solution.

Thanks to all.

Ken

harry strasil
07-23-2006, 10:53 AM
Needle files, also called jewelers files can be found in most hardware stores. Import sets are cheap and they are handier that a pocket on a shirt.

Thread files are limited to the standared threads, I have 4, 2 different american thread ones and 2 different metric ones. The thing most people don't understand is you can divide the number of threads to get the right configuration needed. In the case of 32 tpi, divide by 2 and get 16 which is on the thread files, just have to do it twice to get all the threads. There is also a single thread file that will get all but the finest threads.

Seth Poorman
07-23-2006, 7:41 PM
Hey Ken
What about these planes, some I picked up at a garage sale..
Im not sure what the manufacturer name is..?

Seth Poorman
07-23-2006, 7:52 PM
If you think the part will work , or if your not sure, I can send these planes out to you tomorrow for free, you just pay postage...

Mike Wenzloff
07-23-2006, 7:59 PM
Hi Ken--I would be surprised if it is 1/4"...maybe it is a 10-32. In either case, the links below go to dies of each size...

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=1725182&PMT4NO=9876866

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=1723058&PMT4NO=9876866

The last ones I bought was actually from Ace Hardware.

fwiw, plane manufacturers liked changing these parts somewhat frequently and it is possible a bolt even from the same maker won't fit.

Take care, Mike

Ken Werner
07-23-2006, 8:03 PM
Seth,

Thanks for your very kind offer. I've got a part on the way, and I'll see how it fits.

Mike,
Thanks for the info. It seems to be an odd size, definitely not 10-32, but not quite 1/4 either. Took it to a specialty fastener vendor, and they couldn't match it.

Ken

Ken Werner
08-08-2006, 8:18 PM
Harry,

I got around to using the needle file today, and it worked like a charm. Threads restored, and plane on its way to a re-newed life.
Thanks alot for your advice. Had the tool, but not the knowledge....

Ken

Jim DeLaney
08-08-2006, 9:21 PM
...It seems to be an odd size, definitely not 10-32, but not quite 1/4 either. Took it to a specialty fastener vendor, and they couldn't match it.

Ken

Quite possibly, it's a 12-28. Then again, Stanley (and others, too) were infamous for creating their own thread sizes/pitches. I've managed to ressurect a couple by using metric taps/dies - something like 6 x 1.5, as I recall...

harry strasil
08-08-2006, 9:30 PM
Glad I could help Ken.