PDA

View Full Version : Trapped On A Loft Bed

Bruce Benjamin
07-18-2006, 1:38 PM
Ok, so my mother gives my 10 year old daughter a small shelf that she toll-painted to put on her wall. Why she didn't ask me to make it I don't know but that's another story. She's a very skilled painter so that's what's important. The back has two "Keyhole" mounting points 16" on center. So far so good, right? My daughter has a very large metal loft bed with a built in desk below it and she decides she wants the shelf positioned so that she can reach it when in the bed. Hmmm..."How 'bout we put it on the wall at the head of the bed?" That way I would be able to reach the screws without getting up on the bed. I use my handy stud finder and mark some level holes. Drive some screws and go to hang up the shelf. Then it's :confused: :confused: :confused: .

Apparently, the carpenter decided to make the gap between these particular studs 19.5" apart and I just didn't notice when I marked the holes. Now my only option is to use the one hole that was partially over the bed and make another way over the bed. No problem for most guys. Well, I have a very bum right knee that kept me in a wheel chair for a long time. It's a little better now but I still gimp pretty heavily. Top that off with the bed being about 2.5' to 3' from the ceiling and I'm 6'1" and it wasn't looking good. Ok, I somehow climb the ladder and sort of fall onto the bed. After much cussing, (well under my breath) I manage to maneuver around and the shelf is installed.

Ok, now what? How do I get down without doing it really fast and stopping really fast? Oops, hadn't thought about that part. Damn that leg! I was up there trying to shift around and get over that metal railing to get onto that narrow metal built-in ladder but it just wasn't going to happen. After about 20 or 30 minutes of cussing, (not quite under my breath this time) I have my daughter and 7 year old son go get my 6' step ladder. Only about 10 minutes later and I'm free! Man, that was soooo stupid.

It's times like this that I curse that motorcycle I was riding a couple of years ago more than ever. My daughter is very happy though and at least I never got mad at her during this exercise in stupidity. My wife had a pretty good laugh when she got home. All I can say now is that I'm so glad we don't have a video camera that works or I'd probably end up on one of those TV video shows. But my kids and I did have some fun laughing at the situation, (between me cursing my stupidity) while it was going on and this is probably one of those stories that they will bring up when I'm playing with my future grand children. Of course by then the story will have evolved to the point where there were paramedics, a crane, and the jaws of life involved. :rolleyes:

Bruce

Mark Rios
07-18-2006, 1:59 PM
Bruce, I'm not sure where you live and I haven"t actually heard or seen anyone using this layout but......

There are marks on some tape measures at 19 3/16"(+) intervals (centers). It is marked by a little diamond. Most people don't even see them and some tapes don't even have them. This gives an 8' layout with 6 framing members (studs or joists) as opposed to 5 members at 24" on center or 7 members at 16" on center. I find it quite silly but, then again, I've wasn't taught to use that layout. :D

This may be your case?............

Bruce Benjamin
07-18-2006, 2:15 PM
Bruce, I'm not sure where you live and I haven"t actually heard or seen anyone using this layout but......

There are marks on some tape measures at 19 3/16"(+) intervals (centers). It is marked by a little diamond. Most people don't even see them and some tapes don't even have them. This gives an 8' layout with 6 framing members (studs or joists) as opposed to 5 members at 24" on center or 7 members at 16" on center. I find it quite silly but, then again, I've wasn't taught to use that layout. :D

This may be your case?............

Yeah, this had occurred to me except that every other stud in the room is on 16" centers. I suppose this one stud was out of place because it was about 8 or 10 inches from a door. Didn't think of that at the time. Oh well.

Bruce

Kyle Kraft
07-18-2006, 3:37 PM
That little diamond mark is at 19.2" which works out to be 19.187" (19 3/16) plus tax.