PDA

View Full Version : I feel myself slipping...

Mark Stutz
09-23-2003, 9:21 PM
This is my first post , though I have been enjoying this forum for several months, and have learned a lot. I'm fairly new to woodworrking and confess that watching Norm convinced me that I could do this. It seemed too intimidating to do anything with hand tools. I've started to learn to hand cut dovetails and M-T joints. My first mortices were done with chisels straight out of the box, and my first attempt to use a plane was a #3 Record straight out of the box. Needless to say , I have learned a lot, the hard way!
I've recently acquired two older (I think) planes. One is a #5 Stanley, type 20 ( Blue paint and painted totes). The second is a transitional plane with a Beech body. The lever cap has a geometric desing machined into it, but the only markings I can find are "FULTON WARRANTED" stamped onto the iron. The rear handle seems shop-made, that is a little rough. I can see rasp markings etc. I'm wondering if someone in the past took the metal hardware and fashioned a new body. Any help in identifying the manufacturer, date, etc. would be appreciated. I know a picture is worth a thousand words, but for some reason the site will not allow me to attach a picture file.