PDA

View Full Version : Tool Rest Height on Rikon

Ben Rafael
07-17-2006, 7:55 PM
I have a new Rikon and the top of the tool rest will not go lower than about 1/4" below the center of the workpiece. This doesn't seem right, especially since it makes it difficult to do some work.
Is this right?

Jim Ketron
07-17-2006, 11:01 PM
Mine usualy stays below center. and it depends on what chisel and cut I'm making on how far below it is.
So yes I think you are right, can you cut it off or grind it down some to get it where you need it?

Don Baer
07-17-2006, 11:55 PM
I have the Rikon and don't have any problems. How high is your bench?

Ben Rafael
07-18-2006, 9:38 AM
My bench is about 31".
How far below center does the top of your rest go?

Don Baer
07-18-2006, 11:01 AM
I'll check it out when I unpack it today and let you know. I moved the rest of my tools from California to AZ yesterday and it still in my Pickup. I'll also stop buy the woodcraft store and compar it to the Jet and delta machine since they have all three on display.

Ken Salisbury
07-18-2006, 11:17 AM
In order to be a bona fide member of Sawmill Creek you must use a real first and last name. Please PM Jackie Outten (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=6) with that information and she will update your registration information accordingly

<O:p
http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif

Lee DeRaud
07-18-2006, 11:40 AM
Maybe I'm unusually dense this morning, but I have absolutely no idea what the height of the bench has to do with this.

That said, have you pulled the toolrest out of the banjo and checked to see if there's a burr or something in the hole hanging it up?

Dick Strauss
07-18-2006, 12:00 PM
Good questions Lee...

Ben Rafael
07-18-2006, 12:47 PM
I checked to see what is hanging it up and didnt see anything. I even checked the diameter of the piece going through the hole to see if it tapered, it didn't. I think I'll give Rikon a call.

Don Baer
07-18-2006, 8:52 PM
I just checked my Rikon and it measures 3/4" from the top of the tools rest to the center on the chick. I checked em at Woodcraft and the Rikon, Jet and Delta were all the same 3/4". The post for the tools rest os 2" long. How long is yours?