PDA

View Full Version : need help with a walking stick

Bill O'Conner
07-17-2006, 7:38 PM
Future father in law would like me to make him a cane not sure if I can do it on my lathe. only have 30 inches between centers will this be enough or will I have to make it a two peice cane? would give me a reason to buy a tread cutter set for wood HEHEHE

What he said he wanted was just a tapered cane with a knob on the top (no hook or cruve at the top) and a rubber foot on the bottom

He thinks he might have some black walnut in the atic that he would like it made out of if not cracked was saving it for a gun stock

Thanks
Bill

Ken Fitzgerald
07-17-2006, 7:42 PM
You could do a 2 piece and mortise and tenon it............or you could buy a thread cutter!:D

Bill O'Conner
07-17-2006, 7:44 PM
with the thread cutter I think I might be able to talk the GF in to buying it because it is for her dad HEHEHE:D :rolleyes: :p :D

Bruce Shiverdecker
07-17-2006, 9:47 PM
One other thought. He said that he wanted a "Rubber" foot. The ones that go all around the wood look TACKY.

What I have been doing, which gets you the same amount of non-skid bottom, is to install an old style, tapered, water faucet washer on the bottom. The difference is you don't see it unless you turn the cane over. It is installed with a Brass or Stainless screw. When the washer wears down, simply replace it.

Bruce

Bob Aliano
07-17-2006, 10:32 PM
I made my from a 1" walnut dowel, tapered with a spoke shave and sanded. I put a fairly standard grip on mine because it's more comfortable and easier to control.

Bob Aliano
07-17-2006, 10:33 PM
I made mine from a 1" walnut dowel, tapered with a spoke shave and sanded. I put a fairly standard grip on mine because it's more comfortable and easier to control.

Ben Grunow
07-17-2006, 10:35 PM
Some one recently popsted a pic of a very nice cane that was square and tapered IIRC. Pretty kewl and hard to make (fine tapers and a nice handle). Maybe some inlays would add some wow. Just a thought.

Bill O'Conner
07-17-2006, 10:41 PM
Gf just stopped by on her way home from her folks and dropped off a few pieces of wood that her dad sent to me. A nice peice of cherry from her grandfather tree was looking at adding some in to an inlay, make a few pens out of it for her bother and father just because of where the wood came from. Maybe even use the cherry for the grip on the top