PDA

View Full Version : Finish on Soft Maple

Mike Hill
07-17-2006, 7:07 PM
Well, I am in the process of building a "Regulator" Wall Clock. I chose some maple I found at Fine Hardwoods here in Austin.I put some BLO on a scrap piece and found it was very light, but matched our cabinets in the kitchen :) It Will be hanging near the cabinets. Yet, I really felt it should be a bit darker.

What I am looking for is any suggestions on finishing soft maple. The stain of course and then the final finish. I have a new inexpensive (read that cheap) HVLP spray gun and am thinking of varnish, shellac or lacquer.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.
Mike

Ernie Hobbs
07-17-2006, 8:58 PM
I've been experimenting with finishes on Soft Maple and my last project was my favorite. I used analine dye first (remember to wet first, then sand raised grain before dying). Then tung oil to pop the grain. When dry, I sprayed on very thin coats of amber shellac, thinned by denatured alcohol (or "good natured" alcohol as my Dad likes to say). This leaves a good rich finish that features the grain, while smoothing out any deviations in color, as soft maple tends to have. Hope this helps.