PDA

View Full Version : Saw balde guard w/ dust collection

Julio Navarro
07-17-2006, 4:28 PM
(blade, not balde)
I designed and built a saw blade guard and dust hood for my TS as part of all the cyclone construction.

Heres some pics of the building process:

I used 1/4" lexan or plexiglass cant remeber exactly. I cut the shape qwith the bandsaw and TS. I glued it wit5h crazy glue but I think I will remake one and use clear two part epoxy.

Heres the profile design, I used a tall round shape rather than a flat square. I allowed a small bump in the back for the seperator and kerf knifes to be installed later.

I taped two rectangular pieces together with carpet tape and cut the shape out on the bandsaw. I over cut and sanded on the disk sander.

I used strips of lexan material to form the "back spine" of the guard. I bent them to the shape of the two sides by putting the strips in the oven until soft enough to bend.

I bought a 4" hose fitting from Woodcraft and cut it to fit the 4" hole I drilled on the left side of the blade guard.

I'll put up some more pics tomorrow of the attachemnt to the TS.

Julio Navarro
07-17-2006, 4:35 PM

This is how it will sit eventually on the TS

Art Davis
07-17-2006, 4:37 PM
Julio,

An interesting thread! What oven temperature did you use and about how long did you bake it?

Art

Julio Navarro
07-17-2006, 4:39 PM
Julio,

An interesting thread! What oven temperature did you use and about how long did you bake it?

Art

About 375 for about 60 seconds, any more and the lexan/plexiglass begins to warp then bubble.

You have to shape it fast before it cools even a little tiny bit or else it will "freeze" and snap in half.