PDA

View Full Version : Lowest contrast wood with laser

Dave Jones
07-17-2006, 4:15 PM
I've mostly been working with Alder because it gives a strong contrast when engraved. But now I have a project where I want as little contrast as possible. I want to engrave fairly deeply but without the engraved part looking really dark.

Anybody experiment with a number of types of wood and come across one that removes the wood when engraved but doesn't blacken it when going fairly deep?

Joe Pelonio
07-17-2006, 4:21 PM
I've found that 1/4" solid oak doesn't darken much, I think it was called red oak that I got at the Blue Borg 8"x24". Did a bunch of stuff on it and used honey oak stain on everything after and it's all the same color, background and engraved areas alike.

Shaddy Dedmore
07-17-2006, 7:00 PM
I've found Maple to give less contrast than alder, but I don't know if that's the best one for it. Use low res, low power, and multiple passes maybe.

Shaddy

Mike Mackenzie
07-17-2006, 7:07 PM
I would try clear Pine.

Dave Jones
07-17-2006, 7:08 PM
Thanks guys, I'll give them a shot.

Mike Null
08-07-2006, 3:29 PM
You're probably finished with your project but I just did an ash baseball bat and was extremely disappointed in the contrast. I had to resort to a color fill to achieve contrast yet the engraving was about 3/64" deep.

Dave Jones
08-07-2006, 3:47 PM
Yup, that project is over. I used red oak.

But I am continuing to experiment and need to know these kinds of things for future projects, so I'll get some ash and see what it's like.

Thanks.