PDA

View Full Version : quick question on drawer front spacing and ordering

eddie bee
07-17-2006, 3:52 PM
so i have a space that is 33.5 inches (under a counter top).

I build 3 drawers in this space, and i am in the process of ordering the appropriate drawer front. my question is should i account for the 1/16 of an inch of spacing between the drawer or perhaps an 1/8.

so if my plan was to have the top drawer 8 inches- middle drawer 12 inches - and the bottom drawer 13.5 inches (big i know, they are for pots and kitchen stuff)... should i order the drawer front to be 7and 7/8 and so on.. or do you just get them the size they are supposed to be and adjust accordingly with the top and bottom "lipping over"

i hope this isn't too confusing. thx in advance, and do people prefer 1/16th gap or 1/8th?

Bob Childress
07-17-2006, 4:00 PM
:confused: Eddie,

It's a little confusing I guess (at least to me, maybe not to others). Do the drawers fit totally "inside" a cabinet with doors? Or will the drawer fronts be visible. If so, what kind of support frame (face frame) do you have for them? Will the drawer fronts fit flush with the front or overlap around the edges?

Steve Clardy
07-17-2006, 4:33 PM
If you have no rails going across between the drawer, space at least an 1/8"

If you have say 1 1/2" rails, drop your drawers front over them to match your cabinet door overlap. 1/2", etc.

eddie bee
07-17-2006, 4:44 PM
the drawers are on slides, the fronts will over lap the frame... so the face will be pretty much what you see... i figured a 1/16 space would do... sounds like you think i need more room

glenn bradley
07-17-2006, 6:28 PM
1/16 is desireable but based on the type of wood and your environment you must account for wood movement. In my So Cal residence 1/16 is fine in the house but in the garage I need 1/8 since the wood swells and shrinks more in that uncontrolled environment. I'm sure that the house pieces being oak and the garage drawers being pine add to the problem in the garage.