PDA

View Full Version : I really think car manufacturers do it on purpose

Scott Coffelt
07-17-2006, 1:27 PM
So I decide to wash my truck for the first time in what seems like months, I look and I am lowon tire cleaner. I trek off to auto parts store, decide while I am there to get new filters for the cabin system. They say to replace at 30k, it's like 61k now and they hadn't been replaced. Not 100% sure where there at, I get out the book. Find them. Get out the sockets. Now this is where I really think the engineers like screwing around with the regular guy. They put them dang socket screws where you just about can not find them and where any normal tool would not fit. I get to all but one (that's the one I didn't see. Go to take the cover off, and you guessed it, snapped something. The filters themselves came out fine... and yes they were dirty, dropped all kinds of crud all over my carpet. Get the new ones back in and then it's time to reverse the process. Problem is, it's easier to take them screws out then get them to go back in. I got all but one in, that one I just could not squeeze my hand and then bend three angles and still hold the screw... forget trying a socket. Anyways, just my personal observation that the engineers do it on purpose so the dealer can charge you 1/2 hour of work to replace a $15 filter.

Lars Thomas
07-17-2006, 2:11 PM
I don't think they do it on-purpose. After all, if they wanted you to do that, they would have made the car stop running at 30k miles because the cabin filter as dirty. This is also good news with respect to our litigious society. Now the manufacturer is now knowingly allowing you to drive the car with dispurified (new word - you can use it;)) air. My, they are really opening themselves to one lawsuit after another.

Andy Fox
07-17-2006, 3:11 PM
Scott, I've long suspected the same thing about vehicle maintenance. A few years ago, I spent about 30 minutes playing a Rubiks-cube-like game with a 20 pound alternator while lying under my wife's car perched on ramps. The goal was to get the alternator X, Y, and Z positioning sequence just right as I pulled it through a maze of wires, hoses, brackets, and engine parts so that I wouldn't have to remove 1/2 the front end to get it out of the vehicle. The game builds more forearm strength than the Rubiks Cube, but it also smashes more fingers. :mad:

I finally got the sequence right, but not knowing if it was right or not when I started it, didn't remember the whole thing, so I had to figure it out again to get the new alternator installed! :eek: :rolleyes:

Browse the tool section at Sears and grab as many different types of funky-looking socket adapters and extensions as you can. Maybe a set of crowsfeet wrenches too. 1/4" drive sockets are the best in tight situations.

Bob Childress
07-17-2006, 4:08 PM
Yes, I think they do it on purpose. That's why I finally gave up doing anything to my vehicle except fill it with gas and check the oil and tires.:(

Of course, I'm a little older, too, so wrestling with alternators is less appealing than it once was. But on my 53 Chevy (I know, I know--uphill both ways) there was almost enough room in the engine compartment to get in and stand alongside the motor. Everything was out in the open. (Yes, it had an oil-bath air filter but I replaced it with a groovy chrome doodad that only filtered out the big rocks.:D )

Plus, the dealer now tells you that its a "bad chip" no matter what's wrong.