PDA

View Full Version : Need your thoughts...

Jeff Myers
07-17-2006, 11:21 AM
Hello Creekers,
I'm gearing up for my 1st craft show in August and would love some
feedback from you all.
I'm making bottle stoppers, confetti oil lamps and ikebana flower vases to sell.
The oil lamps and vases are all 3"-6" diameter, some solid woods(walnut,ambrosia maple,sycamore,cherry etc.) and then the others
will be the layered variety using exotic woods(padauk,coco,bubinga etc.)
Here's some pix of the layered types.
Please let me know what you think,,,good or bad and if any of you work
craft shows, can you give me an idea what something like this would/should sell for??? The show is large(65,000 one day show), and
is in an affluent area, this is a long running show(30th year) if any of this matters.
Here's the pix and thanks in advance as I don't want to price myself out
but......would love to be able to order that powermatic after the show!!:D

Mark Rios
07-17-2006, 11:24 AM
Hmmm....my thoughts.......well, after looking at those my thoughts are, again, of doughnuts.

Wait....you want info on pricing??......sorry, I got nothing.

Hope you get the Powermatic.

Bruce Shiverdecker
07-17-2006, 11:34 AM
I like #1,2, and the one in the last row. The other two don't speak to me, stylewise. They look almost too straight.

I don't do them, so don't know what to sell them for. It seems to me that someone here does these and should have a better feel for pricing.

Sorrry I can't help more and hope the comment is constructive.

Brce

Andy Hoyt
07-17-2006, 11:53 AM
Jeff - When you researched this show last year, what comps did you come up with. This is probably one of the more crucial elements to the craft show conundrum. A similar item could sell for $X in one locale and 4X in another; along with everywhere in between. The uniqueness within each local market mandates that adjustments by the seller should be made for each one.

so.......... only you can really answer the question.

Jeff Myers
07-17-2006, 12:06 PM
Thanks Bruce, I too prefer the rounder style, but started looking at my
inventory and they ALL were in that style,,,tried to offer something else just for variety.

Andy, ...research??!!?? Ha! I don't know a thing about craft shows, someone said I should try and sell them,, I found a show and applied and got accepted so i don't have any ideas what I'll be up against if others have similar items. I was thinking $20-$25 for exotic wood bottle stoppers and $35 for the lamps/vases. I'm ok with the bottle stopper pricing but those lamps are murder, all kiln dried hardwood(aka. concrete!!) and would
love to get $45 on them but think that might be too steep.....I just don't
have a clue what the price point should be.

Tony Sizemore
07-17-2006, 12:40 PM
My opinion… I wouldn’t give one those things to Ray Charles!!!! LOL just playing man you know that. Jeff they look great! I’ll call ya! :D :D :D :D

Jim Ketron
07-17-2006, 9:03 PM
I sold some last year at a show.
my starting price was $25 and I think the highest was $45 depending on figure and the wood type. I sold most all of them, get some oil to have on hand and burn one to show how they look. helps draw them in!

Curt Fuller
07-17-2006, 9:51 PM
Whenever I attend craft shows and street markets I always try to buy at least one thing, sometimes more, just to support the people that put so much effort into these shows. I'd buy one of those. And I think the 25-45 dollar range sounds about right. Those are some really nice oil candles.