PDA

View Full Version : Gloves?

Byron Trantham
07-17-2006, 10:58 AM
I think I would like to buy a pair of gloves to use while handling sheetgoods. I get so many splinters! Any suggestions? There are SO many to choose from.

Travis Johnson
07-17-2006, 11:18 AM
I seldom use gloves myself, but there is a pair of orange gloves that have a web of rubber applied to the outside of them. They are not watreproof but they grip really good, perfect for protecting your hands from splinters and gripping boards/ sheet good.

My father used to buy them all the time as he worked in a warehouse and wanted to keep his hands warm but also grip very slippery cardboard boxes.

Rob Russell
07-17-2006, 11:25 AM
A pair of good dishwashing gloves works well. The rubber really helps grip the sheetgoods and they're cheap enough so - when they die - you can replace them without feeling bad.

Mike Weaver
07-17-2006, 11:34 AM
I recently bought a pair Master Series Work Gloves from Duluth Trading Company that are on sale for $15 and REALLY like them.

They are of the "Ironclad"-like variety that fit well and provide an excellent grip.

FWIW,

-Mike

Steve Clardy
07-17-2006, 11:39 AM
I try to use gloves when unloading materials into the shop.

But I don't use them in the shop while ripping, planing, etc.

HF usualy sells ten packs of gloves for 10.00 or so, so I stock up on those.

Tyler Howell
07-17-2006, 12:20 PM
De je Mooo!!!
We've done this before. Check this threat Bryon.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13675 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13675)
I've stand bye the Iron Clad they are great. Still have 2 of the 3 pair over a 4 year period.:cool: .
TJH

Rob Russell
07-17-2006, 12:22 PM
But I don't use them in the shop while ripping, planing, etc.

I generally don't wear gloves around machinery because I don't want anything the blade can grab and suck me with it. The nice thing about those rubber dishwashing gloves is that they are very thin and don't have threads as long as you don't have lined ones. If you ever hit a blade - the glove will offer no protection - but won't suck you in. I found them to be great when working on all the plywood and stock for my brother's pantry.

Jesse Cloud
07-17-2006, 1:09 PM
I have dropped too many pairs of expensive gloves in lumber yard parking lots to keep buying the fancy stuff. Also, I have to confess I'm not good about putting the gloves back where I got them when I finish - so I used to spend a lot of time looking for my gloves (or just giving up and working without them). The HF ten pack will keep me going for a long time and I always can find a pair of gloves.

Michael Adelong
07-18-2006, 9:43 AM
The HF ten pack will keep me going for a long time and I always can find a pair of gloves.

They're like socks Jesse, you'll end up with 10 lefties and no righties in about a month. DAMHIKT :confused:

Michael

Brian Hale
07-18-2006, 4:35 PM
They're like socks Jesse, you'll end up with 10 lefties and no righties in about a month. DAMHIKT :confused:

Michael

Just turn a lefty inside out... ;)

Brian :)

Tom Pritchard
07-18-2006, 4:50 PM
Byron, I always wear a good pair of leather gloves when handling unfinished wood. It protects me from splinters and pinches, and protects the wood from the oils in your hands, which if not sanded off can cause problems when finishing. As others have stated, I don't wear them when using any of my power tools. I have seen finished pieces that were handled without gloves before finishing have multiple fingerprints pop out of the wood, it depends on the oil content of your skin. I don't like the feel or thin protection of a rubber glove. Just another perspective....

Matt Meiser
07-18-2006, 5:48 PM
I really like the Iron Clad gloves, which you can buy copies of just about anywhere now. They are reinforced in the right areas, but thin enough to still be flexible. Very comfortable.

Joe Unni
07-18-2006, 5:56 PM
I spent 12-15 years in the high tech world wishing I had man hands again like I used to have when I was a crew chief in the AF. Now that I work wood full time, I still (however painful) welcome the occasional splinter/sliver ;) :D

-joe